Old 10 January 2006, 11:30   #1

Town: Warwick
Make: Avon - Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: 75hp mariner
Best trailer winches?

I have been using a standard looking single action winch that came with a parrymore trailer - unfortunately it tends to chew the edge of the strap unless great care is taken whilst winching in - has anyone used a winch with a guide mechanism or any other ideas - stainless cable??
Old 10 January 2006, 11:48   #2
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Quote:
Originally Posted by George8910
stainless cable??
I had winch cable from an old Royal Navy helicopter on my last boat trailer. Wouldn't recommend it - the straps are much nicer to work with and probably safer too.
Old 10 January 2006, 11:57   #3

Town: Cardiff
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Engine: 90hp OB
I've always avoided cables as I have heard (never seen any evidence though) they are prone to internal corrosion, so it could look perfect from the outside but snap under load.

I have similar problems with my setup one side of the strap tends to ride up on one side and even fold over. The only solution I have found is, as you say, to take care and guide the strap by hand when winching in.

If I've have recovered in a hurry and the strap has been doubled, once on the flat I pay out the winch and relay it flat.

Mike
Old 10 January 2006, 12:07   #4

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Have you thought about replacing the webbing
I think that generally speaking, the webbing used on winches is not very good quality and if you look at some of the stuff available at the chandlery or for lorry straps it is a thicker material with a coarser weave. It might last longer or be more wear resistant than the current stuff Des
Old 10 January 2006, 12:54   #5

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Sounds like the winch drum isn't lined up square with the trailer. Only has to be a fraction out for the webbing to ride up the drum side. Please don't use wire, horrible stuff as DJL said, if it ever let go with a boat half way up the trailer...... webbing when it snaps is much less violent.

Pete
Old 10 January 2006, 13:31   #6

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
I've had wire in the dim distant. 'orrible stuff it rusts and frayed strands can bite your hand (and it hurts!). If you grease it to stop it rusting the grease gets all over your drysuit. If it snaps under tension then you really dont want to be in the vicinity. Thick webbing can fill up the drum too quick and then you start to lose mechanical advantage as the drum gets bigger. Friend of mine has ordinary webbing as the base layer joined into thicker webbing for the last stressed several feet as the boat comes up the trailer. He does a lot of beach launching on an exposed beach were the boat has to be trailered from dry on most occasions. Still I agree that it seems the winch in question (or possibly the trailer rollers) aint quite lined up right.
Old 11 January 2006, 09:02   #7

Town: Warwick
Make: Avon - Searider
Engine: 75hp mariner
thanks for the replies I'll stay away from cable - by the sound of things operator error is to blame