Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Trailers & towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04 October 2014, 08:16   #41

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Oh not so good, there should be a large washer between the bearing and the castle nut but not 1cm! If you pack it out with washers will the dust cap fit anyway or is the end of the axle sticking out too far as it is?
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2014, 08:41   #42

Town: Littlehampton
Boat name: Warrior
Make: Wetline
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 30HP Autolube
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to MrHeadsocket
There washer is there as is the castle nut but I only have one washer and nut for each axle. I worked out that if the hub is pushed as far back as it will go, the dust cap will not fit on :/
Old 04 October 2014, 09:16   #43

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Looks like the shaft is a bit longer than standard easiest solution would be to fit a spacer ring or washer behind the inner bearing to bring the hub forward

just a thought you could possibly use the old inner race out of the damaged bearings as a spacer behind the new bearings.You could cut it to width with a grinder

the new bearing should be slightly forward of the end of the shaft about 1-2mm so that the washer is pressing on the inner race so you can adjust the bearings
Old 04 October 2014, 10:03   #44
RIBnet supporter

Town: Accrington
Length: no boat
[QUOTE=beamishken;just a thought you could possibly use the old inner race out of the damaged bearings as a spacer behind the new bearings.You could cut it to width with a grinder[/QUOTE]

This is what I did with mine, the inner race made a perfect spacer with no machining required
Old 04 October 2014, 10:23   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Looks like the shaft is a bit longer than standard easiest solution would be to fit a spacer ring or washer behind the inner bearing to bring the hub forward

just a thought you could possibly use the old inner race out of the damaged bearings as a spacer behind the new bearings.You could cut it to width with a grinder

the new bearing should be slightly forward of the end of the shaft about 1-2mm so that the washer is pressing on the inner race so you can adjust the bearings
+1 for using the old bearing to make up a washer!
Old 04 October 2014, 10:24   #46

RIBase
I would do this but the old hubs were sealed and so didn't have races! I will get some washers and use them as spacers instead
Old 04 October 2014, 10:49   #47

This is a sealed for life bearing split apart, recon you could do the same and use it to space it out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	99606  
Old 04 October 2014, 16:46   #48

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Unless you have machining capabilities I wouldn't recommend cutting a washer as any variance could show up in your new bearings. Too risky. Plus does the seal not ride there? A good trailer shop should have some washers for purchase.
Old 04 October 2014, 19:02   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
This is a sealed for life bearing split apart, recon you could do the same and use it to space it out!
that's exactly what I meant too
if there too long just grind to length to suit & if your worried fit the cut side towards the inside of the stub so the outer side the bearings are resting against is square
Old 04 October 2014, 19:58   #50

Quote:
if there too long just grind to length to suit & if your worried fit the cut side towards the inside of the stub so the outer side the bearings are resting against is square
Accept at only a mm or two wide, any deviation could torque the bearing wrong causing uneven wear. A 1" washer or even two is a better solution.

There is a reason loose bearings tear themselves up since they are running at an angle.
Old 04 October 2014, 20:12   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Accept at only a mm or two wide, any deviation could torque the bearing wrong causing uneven wear. A 1" washer or even two is a better solution.

There is a reason loose bearings tear themselves up since they are running at an angle.
yeh if it was only a 1mm spacer he needed then possibly there might be a deviation in the bearing but he is 10mm short & needs 1-2mm overhang so 11-12 mm spacer needed which if its a tight fit to the shaft as a bearing will be it wont deviate even if its cut a mile out of square

it will work fine just need to break the outer ring off the old bearings & you have a ready made spacer which other posters have already used & said they work fine
Old 04 October 2014, 21:02   #52

Quote:
yeh if it was only a 1mm spacer he needed then possibly there might be a deviation in the bearing but he is 10mm short & needs 1-2mm overhang so 11-12 mm spacer needed which if its a tight fit to the shaft as a bearing will be it wont deviate even if its cut a mile out of square

it will work fine just need to break the outer ring off the old bearings & you have a ready made spacer which other posters have already used & said they work fine
Okay Ghetto Fab it is!

Glad I own a lathe
Old 04 October 2014, 21:44   #53

& your going to turn a bearing?
Stop digging Peter!
Old 05 October 2014, 01:22   #54

Who said it had to be hardened? Look around and find something that works.

Climax 1 inch bore Zinc Plated Mild Steel Set Screw Collar-C-100 at The Home Depot

Simpson Strong-Tie 1 in. Bolt Diameter 3-1/2 in. x 3-1/2 in. Bearing Plate-BP 1 at The Home Depot

The Hillman Group 1 in. Stainless Steel Flat Washer (6-Pack)-43761 at The Home Depot

The Hillman Group 1 in. Grade 8 Flat Washer-880264 at The Home Depot
Old 05 October 2014, 08:14   #55

Mrheadsocket if you use standard of the shelf washers the outside diameter will foul the grease seal that is why the old bearing inner race is such an easy fix
Peter C the op stated he wanted a cheap fix to prolong the life of an old trailer. There are several people commenting on just that kind of fix.I very much doubt that Mr headsocket has a lathe in his back shed
you clearly don't understand the bearing system but still comment that others suggestions are wrong & the design is rubbish
If you don't know the system & can offer nothing helpful then don't rubbish others good & tried & tested advice !
Old 05 October 2014, 17:48   #56

I offered other alternatives. It is hard without an exact measurement to know which means is the best.

Why does the spacer have to go at the back? Why can't it go between the nut and outside bearing? Has the dust shield/bearing buddy been installed to check for clearance if it can ride all the way back, with the nut installed at the outer edge?

I consider $4.32 a cheap fix, and for me they are available at the hardware store .5 miles away.

Also I walked out to my tool box and checked my press drawer. I found a few options that were 1" with different widths. All I am saying is check for other options, as there is typically more than one way to do something.
Old 05 October 2014, 20:40   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
I

Why does the spacer have to go at the back? Why can't it go between the nut and outside bearing? Has the dust shield/bearing buddy been installed to check for clearance if it can ride all the way back, with the nut installed at the outer edge?
See post #42

& your local store is probably 4000 miles from the op
Old 06 October 2014, 06:45   #58

OP, I tried to find a solution to your problem, but being half a world away things are done differently there. As a professional sitting in the drivers seat of an auto shop for many years, I could not charge a customer to make a critical, high failure rate part, just work. Instead the solution would be to return the parts in hand, and purchase the proper hubs, even if that means purchasing the sealed units, all due to liability. If a bearing failed for whatever reason, say launching the tire/hub assembly into traffic, and causing an injury/damaging accident, the installer could be deemed liable.

If you can't find a better solution and want to try to cut them down, it will take a measuring device, a permanent marker, some type of holding device aka vise, and a 4-5" grinder with a cut off wheel. Clean the grease off or the Sharpie won't work. Measure how much you want to cut off and set the pen height to that spec. Rotate the old bearing over the pen marking it all the way around. Don your personal protection and start cutting, checking to make sure you are on track. Once the cut is completed you can grind off any high spots if needed. Verify with a combination square that it is all good, and retouch any areas that are not. If they are not 100% operational, throw them away and buy the correct hubs, which is the right way to do the job, and what I would do for my own trailer.
Old 06 October 2014, 15:25   #59

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Wouldn't it be easier to hack off the excess spindle length?

jky
Old 06 October 2014, 15:38   #60

RIBase
I am airing towards just replacing the spindles as it's cheaper than returning everything and getting sealed hubs. New spindles are about £10 each and U-bolts and other bits about £10. That way I have the piece of mind knowing that nothing is at fault with the spindles and bearings but thank you all for your suggestions!!!