Old 28 February 2008, 18:18   #61

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Are there any trailer manufacturers in Hampshire that could manufacture a new custom draw bar? Andy
Yes, see post number 14.

Pete
Old 28 February 2008, 21:06   #62

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Sorry Pete, must have missed that one

I'll drop them an email tomorrow and see what they say, I'm hoping for a soloution that I can fit myself.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2008, 21:16   #63

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Andy, if you're considering a replacement drawbar, since the trailer is a wee bit flimsy, could you have a drawbar which goes right back to the axle rather than having a crossmember? That would give the whole thing a backbone and you would effectively be directly pulling the axle. A box section with a substantial vertical height would help control the vertical flexing.
Old 28 February 2008, 21:38   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Andy, if you're considering a replacement drawbar, since the trailer is a wee bit flimsy, could you have a drawbar which goes right back to the axle rather than having a crossmember? That would give the whole thing a backbone and you would effectively be directly pulling the axle. A box section with a substantial vertical height would help control the vertical flexing.
This was my thinking too Jeff.

I was going to install a draw bar that is twice as deep as wide, go back to the axle and have either one or two crossmembers, welded to the drawbar and fixed to the sides in the maner that I've already illustrated in my earlier post. The bottom bolt of the front fixing that already exists was going to go through a bushing that is welded into the drawbar to give strength.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 28 February 2008, 21:42   #65

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Unless you need the crossmembers for supporting the boat rollers, you could do without them if using the axle for attachment.
Old 29 February 2008, 05:42   #66

I want these cross members, it's to take the load off the weak, two fixing bolt clamp where the frame sides come together (shown in the photo), it also is to stiffen up the sides of the frame too.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 29 February 2008, 06:49   #67

Town: Dun Laoghaire
That looks nasty. Admiral made thousands of trailers. The fault could be with the way the boat is loaded..ie the set up of the trailer axles , Sampson post.

Lots of good suggestions but for your safety and that of other road users i would recommend that you unbolt the offending bent piece of steel and have an expert to build you another one. Adding weight to the front of the trailer will cause it to be incorrectly balanced making it nose heavy. Mind you this can be rectified by moving the Axle forward but this will make the overhang longer making the lever longer so the bending force will get worse. I would also suggest that you ask a boat trailer expert to have a look to see if the axle is set up in the right place to balance the trailer.

I have seen this many times before..roller trailers really need lots more thought.

The steel in the trailer has been very seriously weakened and if not repaired properly your precious boat may overtake you sometime!

Good luck
Tino
Old 29 February 2008, 07:13   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino View Post
That looks nasty. Admiral made thousands of trailers. The fault could be with the way the boat is loaded..ie the set up of the trailer axles , Sampson post.

Lots of good suggestions but for your safety and that of other road users i would recommend that you unbolt the offending bent piece of steel and have an expert to build you another one. Adding weight to the front of the trailer will cause it to be incorrectly balanced making it nose heavy. Mind you this can be rectified by moving the Axle forward but this will make the overhang longer making the lever longer so the bending force will get worse. I would also suggest that you ask a boat trailer expert to have a look to see if the axle is set up in the right place to balance the trailer.

I have seen this many times before..roller trailers really need lots more thought.

The steel in the trailer has been very seriously weakened and if not repaired properly your precious boat may overtake you sometime!

Good luck
Tino
Yes, I am planning to get the drawbar professionally made. But I doubt that fitting this drawbar will really have too much effect on nose weight, one thing I could do (and I'll have to do some working out) is to make the drawbar longer so that I can move the axle backwards, thus reducing the lever effect on launch and recovery, however this increases the loaded weight on that area, so I have to be carefull.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 29 February 2008, 14:59   #69

I have spoken to Ge Graff trailers and several other leading makes of boat trailers, they all seem unwilling to help me in this modification, so is there anyone else I could try?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 29 February 2008, 15:28   #70

Town: Bristol
Length: 5m +
Don't know if these people do bespoke work:

http://www.samspeedmarine.com/trailers/severnValley/

Orve.
Old 29 February 2008, 15:57   #71

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
[QUOTE=Hightower;239392] wonder if you RIBnet peeps could give me some advice please?

Could you post a clearer under picture of the bent ? Is it a even or uneven contour bent shape ?
Old 29 February 2008, 16:19   #72

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Tinkerbell
Make: Rib
Length: 7m +
Engine: Merc
Quote:
I have spoken to Ge Graff trailers and several other leading makes of boat trailers, they all seem unwilling to help me in this modification, so is there anyone else I could try?
I know of a really good guy in Chichester- Dovetail Trailers, what he doesnt know about boat trailers! Resonably priced too

His number 01243 641658 David Sheen
Old 29 February 2008, 16:30   #73

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
if the trailer is plated with a weight and a load weight, will any of this be affected if you make such a modification?
Old 29 February 2008, 16:59   #74

Town: Newcastle Staffs
Boat name: blue it
Make: ribcraft 7.5
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki df225
Send a message via AIM to Top banana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon View Post
if the trailer is plated with a weight and a load weight, will any of this be affected if you make such a modification?
put another way, if the rig was involved in a serious accident then the vehicle inspectorate would go through every thing with a fine tooth combe. and an insurance company shaking its head
Old 29 February 2008, 17:21   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Bloke View Post
I know of a really good guy in Chichester- Dovetail Trailers, what he doesnt know about boat trailers! Resonably priced too

His number 01243 641658 David Sheen
That's great, I'll give him a ring.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 29 February 2008, 17:27   #76

Quote:
Well, it's got to change things I guess, but how do trailer companies arrive at the weight limit in the first place.

This area is obviously a weak area of construction with regard the forces applied to it in an upward direction, however in a downward direction it seems to withstand a greater load otherwise it would have bent after hitting it's first pothole.

I can't see that putting an uprated drawbar on, built of heavier box section and fixed to 6 points as opposed to 3 would be a weaker design and frowned upon by an insurance assessor providing the trailer weight plate hasn't been altered.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 29 February 2008, 17:41   #77

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Well, it's got to change things I guess, but how do trailer companies arrive at the weight limit in the first place.

This area is obviously a weak area of construction with regard the forces applied to it in an upward direction, however in a downward direction it seems to withstand a greater load otherwise it would have bent after hitting it's first pothole.

I can't see that putting an uprated drawbar on, built of heavier box section and fixed to 6 points as opposed to 3 would be a weaker design and frowned upon by an insurance assessor providing the trailer weight plate hasn't been altered.
i think the weight is obviously the weight of the trailer

and weight limit might be the limit of the axle minus the trailer weight? not sure....

i would do exactly what you are doing and then check the weights afterwards to see if it makes much difference. not sure how the insurance may view it, you may need to speak with them or someone similar. perhaps have a chat with bedajim and see what he did ref his trailer as he built that one his self

good luck with it and hope you get it sorted relatively cheaply

Old 29 February 2008, 17:52   #78

Town: Fleet
Boat name: Hudson
Make: Ribeye Sport
Engine: Yamaha 150
Quote:
It's probably worth while telling your insurance company once you have made the 'repair' (better word to insurance types than a 'modification'). I'd guess your policy required you to inform them of any modifications. There's a good chance that they will just log your repair information but you will then be covered in the event.

If they want more info, then that's a pain but... if they come along after a prang without being told, then they may well use it as cause for not paying up. (Always supposing they can spot the repair of course - presumably no way for them to get original design specs from Admiral now).

Alternatively, have you considered whether you can claim from your insurance for a repair? (No idea about your policy / excess etc.)
Old 29 February 2008, 17:55   #79

Quote:
i think the weight is obviously the weight of the trailer

and weight limit might be the limit of the axle minus the trailer weight? not sure....

i would do exactly what you are doing and then check the weights afterwards to see if it makes much difference. not sure how the insurance may view it, you may need to speak with them or someone similar. perhaps have a chat with bedajim and see what he did ref his trailer as he built that one his self

good luck with it and hope you get it sorted relatively cheaply

Thanks Chris, I thing the weight limit is Gross and Net that inclues figures the load and trailer.

The load is no where near the plated maximum, so provided the Gross weight isn't breached I'll be fine.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 29 February 2008, 17:58   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
It's probably worth while telling your insurance company once you have made the 'repair' (better word to insurance types than a 'modification'). I'd guess your policy required you to inform them of any modifications. There's a good chance that they will just log your repair information but you will then be covered in the event.

If they want more info, then that's a pain but... if they come along after a prang without being told, then they may well use it as cause for not paying up. (Always supposing they can spot the repair of course - presumably no way for them to get original design specs from Admiral now).

Alternatively, have you considered whether you can claim from your insurance for a repair? (No idea about your policy / excess etc.)
Insurance claim might be a possibility, but I'll find out how much the work costs before entering that route as they'll claim it back in lost NCB over the next couple of years if it's only a couple of hundred.

Looks Slow but is Fast