Old 26 February 2008, 19:43   #41

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
Temp. of process is 460 C. maybe enough to case harden. It is only a guess as I could not think of another reason, unless the steel was hardened in the first place. It is HARD.
Its been a while but I thought case hardening normally involved adding extra carbon to the surface whilst hot, then quickly cooling it? Could the surface work hardened as you were drilling it.? Surely the galv process of heating and cooling it would result in annealing.

This doesn't help Hightower though. Andy suggest you bring the draw bar along to the next church as well as the prop

You could try ditching the draw bar and replace it with a straight piece. Then double it with another on top which the frame bolts to with JWs idea of angle iron, so you end up with an over/under like a shotgun.

Pete
Old 26 February 2008, 19:54   #42

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Its been a while but I thought case hardening normally involved adding extra carbon to the surface whilst hot, then quickly cooling it? Could the surface work hardened as you were drilling it.? Surely the galv process of heating and cooling it would result in annealing.

This doesn't help Hightower though. Andy suggest you bring the draw bar along to the next church as well as the prop

You could try ditching the draw bar and replace it with a straight piece. Then double it with another on top which the frame bolts to with JWs idea of angle iron, so you end up with an over/under like a shotgun.

Pete

I was trying to keep it DIY and keep the costs and hassel down a bit. doing it JW's way I'd have to weld plates on the ends of the side pieces so that it would become a stable platform for the angle iron bits, afterwards the two side of the frame would need dipping.

What I was thinking of was a new upgraded draw bar, but instead of a bend two pieces of box welded together to get the height right for the cross member.

Then I was going the have two plates made up that would go down the side of the side frames, angled at the joint area and up the draw bar, each plate would have angle iron welded to the back to locate the frames and U bolts atc to hold it all in place.

What you think?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2008, 19:59   #43

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Andy, what section is the drawbar and what is it's thickness?
Old 26 February 2008, 20:05   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Andy, what section is the drawbar and what is it's thickness?
I haven't a clue, was planning to take a look, untill the front offside brake caliper on my Rover decided to seize up yesterday, rendering it U/S. I've had to replace the caliper, discs and pads today, lucky the bearings seem OK

I've a job interveiw tomorrow, taking my boat to get measured up for it's new screen rail, paying my car tax for another year and going to work....I'll try to fit it in

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 26 February 2008, 20:07   #45

OK. When we know the sizes, it'll be easier to move forward.
Old 26 February 2008, 20:16   #46

Town: Newcastle Staffs
Boat name: blue it
Make: ribcraft 7.5
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki df225
Send a message via AIM to Top banana
Andy. If that was my trailer, id list it in the bits for sale section,on this forum no one will ever know. and get my self a beefier trailer.

Ps. maybe just leave it a couple of months first.

It must be a week for trailer problems. Id picked mine up from upholsterers on friday, for got to take the hand break off. and 5 miles down motorway got stopped with flames coming from both wheels.luckilly there was a canal running along side. so off went my mate for several buckets of water.
spent yesterday collecting and fitting new complete axle.Oh for the joys of boating.
Old 26 February 2008, 20:20   #47

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
I've had to replace the caliper, discs and pads today, lucky the bearings seem OK
Ouch, I bet that was pricey. You sound like a very busy man. Regarding the trailer. Have studied the pics; it is very light weight construction. I would cut out the tow bar and fit a new one as previously suggested. I would also pay attention to the mounting of the winch post while you are at it as it appears a little flimsy.
Old 26 February 2008, 20:27   #48

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Pete
The case hardening process you are thinking about is used for steel with no carbon. If the steel already has carbon in it it will harden unless the temp. is lowered slowly, which is annealing. If they took it out of the zinc bath and sprayed it with water it will harden. No, it did not work harden as you would get with a skidding drill bit.
Old 26 February 2008, 20:56   #49
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Hi

Can you not place a box section from the back of the blue label each side to near to the front handles on the draw bar (like a second A frame) and either make up a plate and bolt through or u bolt them in place and then have a couple of cross sections to sandwich the existing bars one behind the existing A frame joint and a couple in front to add support, spread the load

Or make up a new draw bar like a ladder on its side with a second box spaced under the first to give more support
Old 26 February 2008, 21:07   #50

This is what I had in mind.

Excuse the wonky look of my rough sketch, it is late

Original on left modded one on right.

The reason I have designed it like this is that I can have it made seperate and fit it in an hour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25.02.08.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	33141  

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 26 February 2008, 21:16   #51
RIBnet supporter

Quote:

Excuse the wonky look of my rough sketch, it is late

The reason I have designed it like this is that I can have it made seperate and fit it in an hour.
But if you don't bring the bracing forward it will still be weak where it finishes
Old 26 February 2008, 21:34   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
The case hardening process you are thinking about is used for steel with no carbon. If the steel already has carbon in it it will harden unless the temp. is lowered slowly, which is annealing. If they took it out of the zinc bath and sprayed it with water it will harden. No, it did not work harden as you would get with a skidding drill bit.
There is no such thing as steel with no carbon. Steel is a alloy of iron and carbon. Low carbon steels will not harden and case hardening is the process of adding carbon to the surface of the steel so that it contains enough carbon for the surface to be hardened. There is a general modification to this terminlogy and case hardening also appears to be used to describe surface hardening of carbon steels. For the steel to harden, it needs to be raised above its upper critical point. This varies for different steels but is generally above 700°c.

Raising the temperature to just above the melting point for zinc would succeed in fully tempering a hardened steel and so reduce its hardness.

The maximum tempering heat is about 700°F so maybe that is a confusion.

However, there are various ways in which a steel can become hard and one of them is work hardening. A cold rolled steel can become very resistant to drilling, especially drilling at high speed.

The other way your trailer could be a hard steel is it's made from bed irons. Those bu**ers can be really tough.
Old 26 February 2008, 21:53   #53

Quote:

I don't think you need the shorter cross bar. Your design will be much better than original because of the longer lever to the attachment point but you are still concentrating the load at those cross bolts so that is the area you need to strengthen. I see your angle but you need to take it forward a distance to stiffen up that section of the draw bar and distribute the load. It will also be better being clamped at the ends.

Your draw bar looks to me to be too flexible for that application because of its length and section and I'd bet it was a tad springy at the front until you pulled the boat down onto the snubber. My preference would be to use a section, say 120 x 60, keeping the top of it at the same level as your drawing and cut a corner out of it where it overlaps your cross member to keep the alignment level. Weld up that end to prevent crushing. This would allow the lower bolt at the front to pass through the tube. It wouldn't be the ideal dead centre but it would be sufficiently close. Any other stiffening you added there would be an advantage.
Old 26 February 2008, 22:17   #54
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I agree with everything Jono's said about welding it

What I'd do is a bit more radical-that drawbar looks like a Friday Aftenoon Special.

I'd do it this way:-
Remove your FUBAR drawbar and the T piece.
Cut the flat plates that clamp round the drawbar off the main chassis rails.
Buy a nice big chunk of galvanised box section that's a bigger section and with more wall thickness to use as a new drawbar.
Trim the chassis rails back a bit to suit the bigger drawbar and longer thicker clamp plates-use 4 bolts instead of two in the new clamp plates.
If possible,bolt the drawbar rather than weld it to a nice shiny new T-piece.
Use a different method of U-bolting the T-piece to the main rails-those plates on one edge look like they'd support some cheese but not much more.

Obviously there'll be a bit of 'making it fit' in there-but that 2 bolt clamp,U-bolted T-piece plate and welded T-piece that Admiral made it with are (scuse the language) worthy of CAN.

The results should be a bit like the pic below.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	drawbar.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	33142  

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2008, 05:22   #55

Town: Stuttgart
Boat name: Boat
Make: Avon,Scorpio,535 She
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 75HP,Johnson 70
I would take some tubes 60x40mm and 2 plates 100 x250mm and weld it as shon in the drawing . This should be fixed over the crossboow section with 4
u-bolts like a bridge to take the tension away from this single point.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	reinforce.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	33143  
Old 27 February 2008, 06:18   #56

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Those bu**ers can be really "Grumpy Stuff ™"

.....™ JW
Old 27 February 2008, 09:44   #57

Town: Cornwall
Andy,
These people suggesting you modify your trailer are not your friends
There is a much simpler solution, your trailer looks ideal for a smaller Rib, perhaps a 5.35 with a 90 hp, my trailer however is a little large for my Rib, as unlikely as it seems I would be willing to swop boats (for free )
your friend
Kernow
Old 27 February 2008, 16:37   #58

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
Andy,
These people suggesting you modify your trailer are not your friends
There is a much simpler solution, your trailer looks ideal for a smaller Rib, perhaps a 5.35 with a 90 hp, my trailer however is a little large for my Rib, as unlikely as it seems I would be willing to swop boats (for free )
your friend
Kernow
Taking into account that Kernow's trailer has been converted form horse drawn.
Old 28 February 2008, 16:31   #59

Are there any trailer manufacturers in Hampshire that could manufacture a new custom draw bar?

Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 28 February 2008, 16:38   #60
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Are there any trailer manufacturers in Hampshire that could manufacture a new custom draw bar?

Andy
You just need a firm of metal bashers and a sketch, far cheaper too