CJL

Town: London
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
You'll prob have to heat the draw bar before you put the smaller section in by the way.

Chris

CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2008, 07:21   #12

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Kikican
Make: Vipermax 7
Length: 7m +
Engine: F250 / FT9.9 Aux
The problem is that the poor two bolt arrangment means that none of the bending moment is resisted by the a-frame attachment plates and therefore the force is transferred to the prebent section of the drawbar inside the a-frame which is already weakened by the bending You will not be able to internally sleeve the pre-bent section properly - it will just bend again at the end of the sleeve or where the sleeve does not contact the old section well. As a minimum you would need to replace the drawbar with a much heavier section. Getting this type of thing made up is normally really cheap. Even getting the stuff properly galvanised is cheap.

Got a whole 20 foot catamaran trailer with funky sliding supports and racks etc made up for 200 plus 70 for galvanising. Its all the coupling, axles, wheels, rollers & winch stuff etc that makes it expensive (ended up about 2000). I would consider replacing the whole frame with one where the a-frame extends much farther forward and is welded to the drawbar.

Richard

Richard

Old 26 February 2008, 08:55   #13

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Selman View Post
The problem is that the poor two bolt arrangment means that none of the bending moment is resisted by the a-frame attachment plates and therefore the force is transferred to the prebent section of the drawbar inside the a-frame which is already weakened by the bending You will not be able to internally sleeve the pre-bent section properly - it will just bend again at the end of the sleeve or where the sleeve does not contact the old section well. As a minimum you would need to replace the drawbar with a much heavier section. Getting this type of thing made up is normally really cheap. Even getting the stuff properly galvanised is cheap.

Got a whole 20 foot catamaran trailer with funky sliding supports and racks etc made up for 200 plus 70 for galvanising. Its all the coupling, axles, wheels, rollers & winch stuff etc that makes it expensive (ended up about 2000). I would consider replacing the whole frame with one where the a-frame extends much farther forward and is welded to the drawbar.

Richard

Richard

I would agree with everything you said, except replacing the frame (too many pennies) I was thinking along the lines of additional plates welded to the existing ones where I could get at least 6 bolts clamping the bar, I'll also be looking at a heavyer duty draw bar too.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2008, 08:59   #14

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Boat in Haslar Marina for a fortnight (see Jimbo) trailer up to Degraff in Surrey for some mods before spring arrives and the world goes mad, there is also Hayling Trailers but there galvansing isn't as good.

Presumably it buckled in that direction as you winched the boat back on the trailer rather than when the boat is fully on the trailer.

Pete
Old 26 February 2008, 09:16   #15

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Andy, my trailer is built in a similar way to yours but the drawbar attachment is as shown on the picture below. It is good to have the angle iron a little longer than shown because it flexes more easily to clamp against the drawbar. It would be easy enough to modify yours into a similat arrangement.

If welding your galvanised parts, it's good to use stainless welding wire because some of the chromium migrates into the mild steel tube and it gives that area around the weld a bit of rust resistance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer clamp x800.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	33138  
Old 26 February 2008, 09:19   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Boat in Haslar Marina for a fortnight (see Jimbo) trailer up to Degraff in Surrey for some mods before spring arrives and the world goes mad, there is also Hayling Trailers but there galvansing isn't as good.

Presumably it buckled in that direction as you winched the boat back on the trailer rather than when the boat is fully on the trailer.

Pete
Yes Pete you are right, it was bending as the boat is being winched.

I'll send some emails and get some veiws of trailer companies.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 26 February 2008, 09:21   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
I'll send some emails and get some veiws of trailer companies.
And then you'll be relying on those professionals again!
Old 26 February 2008, 09:26   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Yeh, I know

My only trouble about re-inforcing the area is that the hull is only about 1.5 - 2" above it all, I guess I can install spacers on the two front roller banks to move the hull in an upwards direction.

I like the idea of angle iron though, if it gets welded the frame will need to be galvanized again wouldn't it?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 26 February 2008, 09:32   #19

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Ah, but were talking about Arthur DeGraff here, think he stayed on in this country after the romans left, so has made a few trailers in his time.

Pete
Old 26 February 2008, 09:37   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
I like the idea of angle iron though, if it gets welded the frame will need to be galvanized again wouldn't it?
If you can come by some galvanised angle, just weld it up with stainless wire and give it a lick of paint each year. I see me bolts are needing a wee touch in too...