Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
Really!! what a dipstick.. pack each bearing inside as well as out and grease in the the hub but as said not overpack so to push the seals out, your picture looks like there is water ingression and that will really shorten the life.
I've heard "don't pack bearings with grease" too from more than one place, from a trailer centre as well. Every time I've heard it it's been from someone who's got no clue about boat trailers being immersed in salt water.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2012, 13:39   #12

Town: Fort William
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F80
RIBase
Granted a set of bearings should do more than 10 month but I do believe that the aftermarket bearings available today are of poor quality and never seem to last.

Just my observations.

Old 10 August 2012, 13:47   #13

Boat name: Uh...a kayak?
Length: 4m +
Bearing Buddies or whatever the equivalent is in your country, are what I would consider a requirement, unless they are oil bath hubs. A long time ago someone taught me if you are going to trailer really far, either let the hubs cool down, or bring a grease gun along and give it a couple pumps to set up for positive pressure as once the warm hub hits the cold water it can suck water right in. 125 miles is far enough carrying a grease gun would probably be worth while.
Old 10 August 2012, 16:22   #14

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
if you are going to trailer really far, either let the hubs cool down, or bring a grease gun along and give it a couple pumps to set up for positive pressure as once the warm hub hits the cold water it can suck water right in. 125 miles is far enough
Correct .. actually less miles just as much

The thing is that if you are using bearing savers, allow for some grease to come out on the inside of your hub, this is normal and good , your bearings will last for a good few years.

The advice re no grease input, may well be because some manufacturers like alko make sealed for life units. These worked ok for me for 3 years on the trot actually with regular immersions but not when hot, where other alkos didnt

They have to rely on polythene seals rotating on steel shells ,, and theres no chance in hell they are sealed for life ... draw you own conclusions

Oh and dont use moly grease ..
Old 10 August 2012, 16:56   #15

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Akso don't forget that you run down to the sea from your home which is a long way during that trip the bearings get good and warm and so does the grease you then stick into a large mass of much colder water. very fast cooling\contraction cycle which washed away some grease.

Bearing Buddies are great but you gotta keep on top of them,

What sort of grease do you use?

One is very partial to this stuff, but don't get sidetracked when you type Aqua lube into Google

Aqua Lube - High Performance Marine Lubricant Oi tink it might have been rebranded as Aqua shield

I Think Muz nipped in whilst I was typing so suffice It to say I wholeheartedly agree with the above two posts
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2012, 04:45   #16
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki 140
I have been using this stuff

- Banbury Trailers

By the time I have parked up, taken off the straps, loaded the boat up, everyone has had a toilet stop and put their boating gear on sorted slipway access at least 40mins has passed so the drums or always nice and cool before they get dipped.