Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Trailers & towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06 April 2009, 20:14   #1

Town: Moray Firth
Boat name: Lochran
Make: Northcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF90 4/
anyone got a CLH? (or any good trailer makers in scotland??)

I'm starting to consider a new trailer (5.5m RIB with a 90hp - weighs about 700kg).

I saw a mention on here of CLH in Wales, and you certainly seem to get a lot of trailer for your money. But I'm in Inverness and Sth Wales is a looooong way to go and pick up a trailer so I'm just checking to see if there are any owners here who have a CLH and would pass on an opinion?

I have looked at others, but for the same money, the CLH looks like a very solid piece of kit. Maybe slightly too solid if anything, but it's being towed behind a 110 Defender - might be slow, but it'll get there!

I suppose a follow-up might be if anyone knows of anywhere more local (Scotland) doing good trailers??
Old 06 April 2009, 22:31   #2

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
CLH I've had one for 2 years and very impressed with it. Over-engineered maybe, but no bendy drawbar, as suffered on Hightower's.

Have you asked if they can get it transported to you? I know they deliver to various parts of the country, so may be able to get it at least part of the way to Inverness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CLH.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	41743  
Old 06 April 2009, 23:46   #3

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
CLH I've had one for 2 years and very impressed with it. Over-engineered maybe, but no bendy drawbar, as suffered on Hightower's.

Have you asked if they can get it transported to you? I know they deliver to various parts of the country, so may be able to get it at least part of the way to Inverness.
No bendy drawbar on mine

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2009, 00:03   #4

For those with failing memories:

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23412

Old 07 April 2009, 09:53   #5

not going to comment on the bendy drawbar - though I did remember reading that thread a while ago!

Downhilldai - looks like your boat is pretty similar to mine, and your trailer is probably what I'd be looking . What size wheels are on it? Are they the high-rated 12" ones CLH mentioned, to bring the boat lower??

I did ask about delivery but didn't get any indication of likely companies.

It seems to come down to about an extra 100kg in trailer weight(compared to a De Graaff), and the question I'm asking myself is whether that would eventually wind me up. I do a lot of road miles from Inverness to various places on the north and west coast along some pretty tricky roads so it's just something I need to reach a conclusion on.

Thanks for your replies so far though.
Old 07 April 2009, 11:14   #6

My CLH trailer carries a 5.8m Vipermax/150 Optimax. It has 13" rims with 185/70 tyres on an Avonride axle.
My Northcraft 5.5/DT100 Soozook is on an older Indespension Rollercoaster, which is fine, but a lot lighter than the CLH one. The all-up weight of my Northcraft, on trailer is around 900kg. Assuming John is building the boats to similar spec these days, you may get away with something around the 1000kg rating, which would be a lot lighter in construction: single rail frame, less rollers, smaller wheels, etc. If you wanted, CLH could build one to the same spec as DeGraaff, but is that what you really want?

Andrew, who works at CLH is Scottish. Have you asked if he can drop it off for you when he pops back home to visit his mates for a beer?
Old 07 April 2009, 13:52   #7

thanks again.

My northcraft is '94 vintage, and on the indespension also comes in at 900kg, maybe a bit more.

I only asked about the wheels because on the picture they looked a little smaller than normal. I do like the idea of a solid trailer, just wonder about the reality of living with it on single track roads, steep gradients etc. but will probably just go for it. If I do, and when I start speaking to them in earnest I'll maybe see if there are any sensible ways to lose weight without compromising strength/design.

I'll try the 'scottish angle' for delivery and see if the offer of some beer money might pay off!

Cheers
Old 07 April 2009, 16:25   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMacN View Post
My northcraft is '94 vintage
Mine too.

Personally, I wouldn't dream of using a trailer as heavy as my CLH one for the much lighter Northcraft. It will cost more to buy, cost more in towcar fuel, put extra load on your clutch, limit your towcar options, be more difficult to move manually, etc, for no real benefit.
If you want something that will last a long time, then a heavy duty frame won't necessarily be the answer. It's generally components that breakdown or the galv giving way, which end the life of a boat trailer.
I'd recommend you go for something with 1000kg - 1100kg gross capacity, but made of kwality components, eg Avonride axle with taper roller bearings, Bradley coupling, galv mudguards, low profile wide tyres, etc.
Have a word with Chris at CLH and he'll go through the various options with you.
Old 07 April 2009, 19:02   #9

yeah, i think that's what I need to do. I've only had two fairly short conversations with them, and only got Chris on one of those.

It's as you say, if it isn't necessary to drag the extra weight around then why do it.