Old 11 May 2016, 03:27   #1

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Any tips for trailer purchase?

Hi,

So I'm getting ready to purchase a new trailer in the USA. I think I am going with aluminum I-beam, tandem axle, single axle disk surge brakes. 7000 lbs capacity for a 4000lbs boat.

I didn't know if anybody had thoughts on what I need vs what is nice? Full stainless brakes are another $500 or so, think I'll skip electric over hydraulic brakes.

The frame is a bit longer than all the trailer manufacturers wanted to do so it will go all the way back the the edge of the engine bracket. Then I can have a set of bunks under my engine bracket (they didn't want to do that either), front target bunks, and big set of main bunks.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jason
Old 11 May 2016, 06:17   #2

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Hi

Why bunks? At 7m I'd be going for rollers. A standard trailer over here will have a set st the back, front, spaced throughout and under the keel.

Makes putting in and out very easy and no need to sink the whole thing.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2016, 14:18   #3

The ramps I use are deep and steep, not an issue launching and recovering Wind, current, and swell are the issues. Getting it lined up correctly is the issue. Id say 90% of trailers at my ramps are bunks.

Jason
Old 12 May 2016, 15:07   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtalljv View Post
I think I am going with aluminum I-beam, tandem axle, single axle disk surge brakes. 7000 lbs capacity for a 4000lbs boat.
Make sure the empty trailer will sink, and not move with surge. The tires will try to float the back of the trailer. Floridians often bolt lead or steel to the back of aluminum trailers.

Quote:
Full stainless brakes are another $500 or so, think I'll skip electric over hydraulic brakes.
Agreed on both counts. While not necessary, SS brakes would ease a lot of my headaches (and make it easier to carry my wallet.)

Electric over hydraulic, from what I've heard, doesn't play nice with salt water. A simple surge brake system works well for me. With your size, look for an electrically controlled override for backing up.

Your bunk design sounds about right. Alternatively, four long bunks with the inside supporting your bracket, and the outer supporting and balancing the remainder of the mass.

If you really want to get complicated, a set of rollers towards the front to ease roll-on/roll-off, and bunks at the back for a bit of traction.

jky
Old 13 May 2016, 00:20   #5

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
I've seen a few of the larger aluminium trailers here which have been imported from the US with boats which look very well made. However I've also seen two fail locally (one making front page of our local paper). We often tow long distances on unsealed roads which can be the undoing of alloy trailers.

The most commonly used here are galvanised steel which are heavier and considered tougher (with the exception of Chinese imports we seem to now be getting). Washed down with a good salt removing product like saltaway my galvanised trailers have always lasted well.

If I was in the US and only travelled on good roads and the price difference wasn't to much I would go alloy. The brakes and other parts are sill going to need the same maintenance what ever the chassis is made from. By the way I'm also not a fan of skids after wearing through the gelcoat quite deeply on one of my older boats (once again used for long distance).

By the way when I mention long distance many of my trips can be 12000-15000km over a month.

Jon
Old 13 May 2016, 03:41   #6
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Make sure the empty trailer will sink, and not move with surge. The tires will try to float the back of the trailer. Floridians often bolt lead or steel to the back of aluminum trailers.
From what I understand, that's usually a triple axel trailer problem. My dual axel aluminum trailer wasn't ever close to floating.
Old 13 May 2016, 14:21   #7

Good to know the tandems don't float. I'd heard people say that but it seemed like more internet legend or they just wouldn't make so many of them.

I trailer on perfectly maintained freeways, no rough roads for me.

The price difference between AL and steel is negligible as far as I am concerned

Jason
Old 24 November 2016, 04:21   #8

Town: San Francisco Bay
Boat name: SRMN 600
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 90
Hey Jason, did you end up getting a new trailer? I just remembered this thread. My 7.4 came with a brand new trailer that I am looking to swap for anything usable since I only tow down the street.
Old 24 November 2016, 04:47   #9

Yes I did. An aluminum tandem. Pretty sweet.