Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
Review here says it's intended for “lighter-weight boats under 18′/1,000 lbs.”
https://smallboatsmonthly.com/articl...lds-sky-winch/
yep read that today doesn't seem to have much mechanical advantage if it did i think it would be what i want

Old 04 January 2019, 11:50   #13

How far are you having to winch this roughly?

A petrol winch used by tree surgeons is probably worth a look. New ones are over a grand last time I looked but probably get a used one on Ebay, still wont be cheap though.

Or modify a normal electric winch (it will be slow though)
Old 04 January 2019, 11:58   #14

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
How far are you having to winch this roughly?

A petrol winch used by tree surgeons is probably worth a look. New ones are over a grand last time I looked but probably get a used one on Ebay, still wont be cheap though.

Or modify a normal electric winch (it will be slow though)
i want at least 50m Xk59D hand winches will do it but im struggling to find one with a capstan drum they are made just finding a supplier.something the speed of a pot puller would be ideal
Old 04 January 2019, 12:03   #15

I don't know your setup but if there is no danger of it running away I would just wrap a rope round a normal hand or electric towbar winch drum 4-5 wraps and make something to lock it if it starts to slip. If you find it starts to slip when you try to winch in then you can modify the drum with something, I'm thinking given it isn't a lot of weight you wont have much hassle stopping it slipping. A machine shop could put knurls in it or maybe paint the drum with sand in it would do or weld on something perhaps (cones to jam the rope) Or find a capstain drum and make it fit on there. The reason a capstain works is the bottom of the rope is effectively jammed by the top of the rope so it doesnt slip, hence the shape.

Could probably use a cordless drill to power one with a bit of weld to a socket.

Someone on forum may have a winch you can play with for a few beer tokens.
Old 04 January 2019, 13:27   #16

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
I don't know your setup but if there is no danger of it running away I would just wrap a rope round a normal hand or electric towbar winch drum 4-5 wraps and make something to lock it if it starts to slip. If you find it starts to slip when you try to winch in then you can modify the drum with something, I'm thinking given it isn't a lot of weight you wont have much hassle stopping it slipping. A machine shop could put knurls in it or maybe paint the drum with sand in it would do or weld on something perhaps (cones to jam the rope) Or find a capstain drum and make it fit on there. The reason a capstain works is the bottom of the rope is effectively jammed by the top of the rope so it doesnt slip, hence the shape.

Could probably use a cordless drill to power one with a bit of weld to a socket.

Someone on forum may have a winch you can play with for a few beer tokens.
knurling is awkward on anything other than a parallel surface it might work but it won't look pretty
Old 22 January 2019, 16:39   #17

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
looking into a continuous rope winch to pull my sib trailer up the beach when necessary i want it simple it will be pulling around 300kg on wide sand wheels will the below assist or not worth the effort.

cheers

https://jimmygreen.com/barton-winche...posite-winches

I know you are asking about continuous rope winch, but I use a Hilka cable winch. It has about 10 metre cable.attaches on tow ball when needed, and add a tow rope or two if I need longer haul. I chock wheels to secure as I remove each rope when recovering. The winch is cheap and cheerful, but has been fine for my occasional use where I can't get closer to trailer( long, shallow hards etc) I can't remember exact capacity, but it pulls my 750kg set up well. The winch is powered from charging socket on tow bar. Screwfix used to sell them. Not sure who else does.
Recently used it to pull out a small tree root too !
Old 22 January 2019, 18:11   #18

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
This one?

https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/hilka-v...QaApx3EALw_wcB
Old 23 January 2019, 03:03   #19

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140
MMSI: -
Personally on really shallow slipways I just use a long length of reasonably heavy duty 12mm 3 strand rope with an eye splice over the towbar and tied off to the trailer and then drive forwards until the trailer hitch is accessible with the car. At that point I put the handbrake on or chock the trailer reverse back and hitch up as normal.

It only takes a few seconds and is sometimes entertaining watching the reaction of cyclists using the cycle path that crosses the top of the local slipway.
Old 23 January 2019, 04:57   #20

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
OS thanks for that i have had one of those its a good piece of kit for the money too, i do the usual rope off the car etc but what i'm looking for is a mandraulic system for long haul over a fairly long distance ive made up a 5-1 pulley system but its bulky the sky winch looks to be the system but not sure its man enough i have a securing ratchet strap that works on the same principle but by just pulling the rope that has a capacity for about 200 kg which is impressive for its size. might have to try the sky winch.

cheers