Boat name: Expresso
Make: Ribeye
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard/petrol/100
trailer draw bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
i could sort it, but not this side of xmas
Having just read the threads above, it confirms some of my own thoughts I had with our set up. I have a single axle trailer, with a 5.5 Ribeye with an extremely long draw bar. I am expecting to do a 140 mile tow in August and have been concerned about the nose weight and the stability of the rig with the long draw bar. The manual with my wife's car states a 100kg nose weight for towing. My [Skoda, Octavia 1.9 Diesel] doesn't specify and it's this I will probably tow with. I put the nose on bathroom scales and measured it around 55kg, so it is light. When towing to fuel up, there is a sort of back to front wave motion! I live down the road from you, so maybe you could be ideal to sort the draw bar and weight issue. Any indication of cost involved?

Old 17 June 2011, 05:26   #12

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
that 100kgs might be max weight, run it lighter but not to light, you can always put something in the front of the boat to fine tune, but this won't help the long bar issue

Old 22 June 2011, 16:07   #13

Boat name: Expresso
Make: Ribeye
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard/petrol/100
Long Draw bar issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
that 100kgs might be max weight, run it lighter but not to light, you can always put something in the front of the boat to fine tune, but this won't help the long bar issue
Thanks for your reply Biffer. Wasn't quite sure what you meant with, "..this won't help the long bar issue."
I think what I was trying to get over is I would like to look at having a shorter draw bar anyway. Looking at the trailer last weekend, the work would appear to involve, slackening the brake rods, removing the jockey wheel, hitch and handbrake assemblies. Cut the draw bar to length, assessing the advantage / need of moving axle back, re-fitting the jockey wheel, hitch and handbrake assemblies and re-connecting the brake rods. Is this something you could undertake and what time and cost would be involved? I think the handbrake tension spring unit might need to be replaced at the same time!
Martin