Old 24 June 2010, 03:13   #11
Town: Lancashire
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Thanks Edward
The guy who is doing the gel coat repairs to the hull seems very good. I`ll put your ideas to him and see what he says.
You`re right about the custom trailer business. Some sort of combination of rollers and bunks would be a winner. I`ve thought of something like the adjustable/threaded supports they use in boat yards that could be brought up to the hull for transporting and wound down for launching
Thanks for all the comments. Anybody else who`s done something similar to Edward i would be interested to hear your idea

cjj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2010, 09:40   #12
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I just made up new bunks for my trailer (aluminum hull, so just 2 - 2x6x10ft boards originally); I added an additional section of 2x6 between each mount and the bunk to get a bit more clearance between the tubes and the fenders.

I was thinking about adding some glides on the front of the bunks to make it easier to winch the boat up to the winch stand, but haven't gotten there yet. Only need them at the front, as when launching or recovering, the stern floats, removing any friction from the back of the trailer.

Was also thinking about adding either a couple of additional bunks or roller bunks closer to the keel to help with self-centering, but haven't gotten there either.

jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2010, 13:23   #13
Town: Winchester
Boat name: Raven
Make: Westerly 33/Avon 310
Engine: Mercedes 42 Toh9.8
Jeepers - I have been an Avon fan for years, they were the best.

I was so close to buying an Avon Adventure when I ordered my Solent, there was one in Portsmouth at the time for sale with a engine that was 3 years old and a boat that was 6 months old, when it was explained to me that this was because of warranty claims I stopped to think and the boat was sold, I started to look at a new one and Lee at Solent convinced me to go with his brand. One of the best boating decisions I ever made. Its solid, well built for my purpose and I love it.

Sorry to hear your story.
Ribtecer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2010, 15:26   #14
Town: Stirling
Boat name: Macaw
Make: Parker 750 CC
Length: 7m +
Engine: VERADO 300XL OB
Hi Cjj216,

Why not give John @ Nicholson trailers a call not to far from you ( 01524 823963 ) Carnforth Lancashire he made a good trailer for my RIB.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1053.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	52225   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1062.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	52226   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1070.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	52227  
Callum Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2010, 16:23   #15
Town: Lancashire
Make: Humber
Engine: Suzuki 140
That`s one hell of a rig! That`s the Isle of man boat with tubes on! On a trailer!

Thank`s for that lead Callum. I can see why you had to go bespoke!
That`s what i need. A local trailer manufacturer who may be able to give advice and maybe adapt my trailer.
If not, i may have to go DIY as jyasaki suggests.
If a boat like yours Callum can be trailered, a manufacturer with Avons experience has no excuse.
Ribtecer, you had a lucky escape there. I`m sure there are lots of adventure owners out there who have had no issues. Tubes are great, nice meaty transom with lots of support, good quality console etc. But the hull strength lets it down. That said, if you tapped on it and realised just how thin it was, you`d say it`s done well to only have gel coat cracks in it after 9 years. Nice thick gel coat isn`t the best idea on flexi GRP!

Does anybody have a hotline where you can report cruelty to Ford Transits. If so please report Callum!
cjj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2010, 17:18   #16
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Blimey - how much do those things weigh?

Plenty of anticipation required when towing

A Boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass, into which you throw money...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote