Old 07 April 2011, 08:40   #1

Town: Poole
Boat name: Exodus
Make: Tohatsu
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 150
Adding additional rollers

I've been considering selling the rib for a while but keep coming back to why - and it's partly that getting the rib on and off the trailer simply isn't that easy. So thought process number one goes something like - Make it easier to launch and recover.
To that end I want to add more rollers under the boat to make it move more easily. Currently I have 16 rollers in pairs under the aft end and 8 under the pointy end. They are fitted to swinging bars on a roller coaster.

I'd like to significantly increase this but am struggling to source a supply of suitable galvanised mounting brackets. Specifically I'm looking for a Bar that will take 6 x 2 rollers, one for each side that'll give me 24 at the back, I can then move the existing 16 to the front to increase the total from 24 to 40.
I've tried RM trailers and Indespension and neither can help me, Hayling Island Trailers suggested buying a new trailer but that's a bit out of my price range right now.
There are a couple of pictures I've tried to upload to show what I'm looking for, all help appreciated.
ItB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.png
Views:	278
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	58179  
Attached Images

Old 07 April 2011, 09:46   #2

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Might be worth giving gullwing a call, pretty sure they sell their 'roller ramp' assembly as a seperate item.
http://www.gullwingtrailers.co.uk/pr-kittiwake.html
Old 07 April 2011, 09:57   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Hi

These people have been very helpful in the past

http://www.sbstrailers.co.uk/accessories.asp

Jim
Old 07 April 2011, 11:56   #4

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Do extra rollers make much of a difference. Is it not just the same weight spread over more rollers with greater friction?
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2011, 12:39   #5

Erin, Not sure and I guess if others have experience than i'd appreciate their views. My plan is based on experience in warehousing, more rollers, lower load per roller = easier to push off. I think the load on the existing rollers is too high and is deforming them to the point of lock up.
When unloaded they spin freely.
Itb
Old 07 April 2011, 15:55   #6

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Can you post a pic of your boat on trailer please Steve. With a multi roller swing arm type setup like you've said you've got it should be a piece of cake unless there is something fundamentally wrong.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2011, 21:23   #7

Will try to get something posted when I can get to my pc. Currently decorating so it's hiding under dust covers
Old 07 April 2011, 23:44   #8

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Into The Blue View Post
My plan is based on experience in warehousing, more rollers, lower load per roller = easier to push off. I think the load on the existing rollers is too high and is deforming them to the point of lock up.
When unloaded they spin freely.
Itb
I have the same observation with the keel rollers on my trailer. Because the boat only sits on 3 of them the load per roller squishes the roller right down and means you need loads of power to back off the trailer, to the extent it's nearly as hard to "unstick" the boat as my old all-bunk trailer used to be.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2011, 20:36   #9

Would you think that more rollers might solve it?
SBS have quoted £40 per side for the roller supports which sounds reasonable but I could do with more views as to others that have had the same reluctance for the rib to roll off the trailer.
Old 08 April 2011, 22:21   #10

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Don't know - maybe. The keel roller brackets are welded on mine - not sure you could easily add more without putting a spine down the middle of the trailer and that would bugger up my galvanising.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2011, 13:44   #11

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
I have one keel roller on mine (basically to afford some protection where the drawbar ends), which as described, squashed nicely & made it a pain to move. All I did was jack up the entire bow roller assemblies by abouit 1/8" so the keel roller didn't squash. Suffce to say I fitted an emergency "catch" wire to the winch post soon after!

What are your rollers made of? My Keel roller was squashy rubber, my beam rollers have a soft plastic "skin" so they hold their shape better.
Old 12 April 2011, 16:50   #12

The main rollers are soft enough to deform when the boat's on them but it also has a hard nylon keel roller that has previously damaged the keel of the boat. Reading you post has made me wonder if there is simply too much weight on the keel roller and the main rollers are acting as guides and not allowing it to move properly.
Think I'll see if I can replace the U bolts to allow lifthing the boat off the keel roller and see if it moves. Thanks all - might just have a solution
Old 30 April 2011, 06:59   #13

Town: Sydney
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribtec 890SX
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha ME 421STI x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Into The Blue View Post
The main rollers are soft enough to deform when the boat's on them but it also has a hard nylon keel roller that has previously damaged the keel of the boat. Reading you post has made me wonder if there is simply too much weight on the keel roller and the main rollers are acting as guides and not allowing it to move properly.
Think I'll see if I can replace the U bolts to allow lifthing the boat off the keel roller and see if it moves. Thanks all - might just have a solution
When I first got my 38ft Cigarette, it was a PITA to get off the multi roller trailer. Replacing a broken roller improved it but the real gain was made when I adjusted the rollers.

The way I adjusted it was to get a car jack under each group of rollers, loosen the nuts and then jack it up till I got some resistance. Some of the rollers had to be adjusted over an inch.

Not sure if this is the right way, but now my 38footer is now a one man launch and recover boat.

I am about to go through it all again with the Ribtec 890SX as I have just purchased a new trailer.
Old 01 May 2011, 12:42   #14

I've placed an order for a full set of U bolts so I can cut off the badly corrodded ones that are holding the Roller assemblies in place. Once replaced it'll be a car jack and some gentle re-positioning so that the centre roller is only lightly loaded and the rest run on flat surfaces not getting cut up by the chines.
Thanks for al the good ideas, it'll be a couple of weeks but I'll post again when completed.