Old 28 June 2019, 20:58   #1

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
AA at it now....

It appears the AA have just slip some new "restrictions" into their roadside recovery.

Apparently they have now put a maximum overall trailer length of 7.6m, Maximum width restriction of 2.3m and "weight" for it (pun )....... 3500kg maximum train weight.

I moved to them from the RAC because they didn't have these restrictions and had the RYA verify it. Now it appears things have been discreetly changed under the radar.
Old 28 June 2019, 21:21   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Pretty sure those limitations have always been there. In reality (after probably five trailer recoveries over the years) I’ve never had any issues even with stuff that was much bigger than those figures!
Old 28 June 2019, 21:30   #3

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Pretty sure those limitations have always been there. In reality (after probably five trailer recoveries over the years) I’ve never had any issues even with stuff that was much bigger than those figures!
I've still got the original policy document from them. It had the width restriction but no weight or max length. I also emailed the RYA who looked into this at the time and contacted several recovery companies and they confirmed that the AA was the only one who didn't have the length restriction. It looks like the only option now is Green flag and you have to have Caravan Club membership for them to waive the restrictions.
Old 29 June 2019, 07:10   #4

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
I've just renewed with a company called Gem. This their exclusion

Anycaravan(upto7metres/23feetlong,notincludingthelengthofthea-frameorhitch)ortrailer (upto3.05metres/10feetlong including any load, not including the length of the a-frame or hitch) attached to the broken down vehicle will be recovered with the vehicle. In the event of a breakdown to the caravan or trailer being towed by the vehicle, we will recover it to the nearest suitable garage or your preferred destination if closer. Any caravan or trailer must be attached using a standard 50 millimetre (2 inch) towing coupling.
Old 29 June 2019, 07:53   #5

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
I had a REAL Life situation with exactly this problem recently... (end of May) when the Discovery I was useing had a key mis-function whilst we were in Scotland...and for a while it looked like we might have to be Towed.
...Vehicle...Passengers...Boat/Trailer and all the whole kit & caboodle 500miles + home!
I would say We do have the Full "Top of the Pops" AA cover through the Bank.
Their engineer turned up sorted the main problem..
Me!...locked inside the vehicle! After recovering the Boat.... (which for some unfathomable reason everyone found this most amusing!)
Although It was soon found to be still malfunctioning!...so he rang head office and immediately received the go ahead to Convey the Boat (7m RC) the Vehicle and passengers the next day..(by now it was 8pm) and considering we were in a pretty remote area of the West Highlands I don't think they could have done more.
I'm glad to say the problem eventually sorted itself...and the Tow ect was indeed not needed.
So I really don't think..,IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT COVER there is anything to worry about.
The AA are by far the biggest and judging by this and other occasions and experiences over the years I've used them ...they are STILL the Best!
And I for one would certainly recommend them for Boat users!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2019, 21:05   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Me!...locked inside the vehicle! After recovering the Boat.... (which for some unfathomable reason everyone found this most amusing!)
I don't understand this attitude either!

Old 30 June 2019, 07:43   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post

I definitely did not LoL at this (honest ;-)

The weight restrictions in the cover sound like they are trying to protect against the driving license changes? Many of their drivers would not be able to tow your boats even if the vehicle legally could...

Anyone know what recovery costs from any of the HGV type places (it used to be Dallas up here - but I’m out of touch) on an ad hoc basis? Unless you are a serial user like Tim it might be cheaper to use a standard policy and have a fall back if the T&Cs start getting scrutinised?