Old 28 March 2017, 14:12   #1

Town: Lancashire
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
2wd Low??

I posted some time ago regarding the issue I have driving from the slip I use up to the main road.
It's an immediate 25% incline from a standing start. My 2015 D max gets up but the clutch takes a hammering. Following advice from here I now go up in 4wd low but as it's a tarmac road, by the time I'm at the top of the hill all sorts of lights and alarms are sounding.
I spin the wheels out on a patch of grass at the top of the hill and go back to 2wd for the remainder of the journey but I can't help thinking I'm putting a lot of stress on the diff.
I've read some Hilux owners put an inline switch to the electric motor that engages the 4wd thus enabling 2wd low.
With hindsight I should have bought the auto as this may have been better in this situation but the cost to change would be considerable.
Have any of you come across a 2wd low mod on a dmax or any ideas how easy this would be to do?
Cheers Colin
Old 28 March 2017, 15:23   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
There's something seriously wrong if a 15 plate 4wd truck with low box is getting wound up on a job like that, it's what it's for ffs! Are you sure you haven't got diff lock on? Has it got free wheel hubs that need engaging?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 15:43   #3

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
If you were going round in tight circles then understandable but if it's reasonable straight it shouldn't be a problem as Dave says it
Are the tyres worn the same, as in fronts almost done and rears brand new or vice versa? That might cause a problem
What are the switching options for 4wd? Most 4x4s can't select low without 4wd which is a shame but you may be able to block out the diff locks if it has them
The thinking that an auto will have an easier time isn't always true they still have clutches that wear and oil can overheat and the repair bills are WAY bigger if they do go wrong
Old 28 March 2017, 16:07   #4

Town: Lincoln
Boat name: Zoom
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 10
How heavy is the boat you are dragging up the slip ? What are the lights and alarms that come up ?
Old 28 March 2017, 17:05   #5

I haven't mentioned the two 90 degree bends to negotiate before getting to the top. IMO Modern pick ups still have antiquated and limited 4wd systems (I think only the L200 has an on road 4wd setting). I don't think it has a centre diff? So essentially it's locked when you go in to 4wd. no freewheeling hubs.
If possible,I'm after a way to go in to low ratio and stay in 2wd. Both are operated by small electric motors rather than a 2nd gear lever so it should be possible.
Tyres all worn to same level all terrains with 20,000mls on and swapped front to rear on 10,000mls.
The alarms are telling me I shouldn't be in 4low on tarmac. Steering gets heavy and wheels scrubbing on tarmac on 2nd bend.
All is fine after I take it on grass once on the flat, it spins out then I drive on in 2wd with no problem.
Just thinking this can't be doing it any good?
Never weighed boat but it's a 6.3m Humber OP with DF140 on the back - plus camping gear - plus whatever fuel I've not used say 40litres. Plus pick up back full of luggage etc etc
Old 28 March 2017, 17:23   #6

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Think you're worrying unnecessarily. Not unusual for tyre scrub or crabbing sensation on hard lock. Been driving Audi quattros for years and it's a characteristic of the car.

You're choosing 4wd so the load is spread to all 4 wheels. Don't ride the clutch and keep it slow and steady. If your particularly worried, then drop the rear diff gear oil at the next service and replace. Normally I'd only do this at 100k intervals.
Old 28 March 2017, 21:42   #7

It's not just pickups most 4x4s lock the centre diff when you engage 4wd low my merc ml which is full time 4wd will wind up when in low same with my hilux .It's the corners that are giving the car a hard time is there no opportunity to release the 4wd before the corners or is it really steep all the way?
Old 29 March 2017, 07:09   #8

The bend itself is a little flatter. But when the truck is on the flat bit the trailer is still on the steep and vice versa once I've gone beyond. Wouldn't I need to spin the wheels of the truck or reverse it to release any wind? I do this at the top as it won't go back in to 2wd unless I spin the back wheels on the grass.
When I was last in Isuzu for a service they had a big banner outside saying "class leading 3.5ton towing capacity". I told the staff it should have small print saying "but not up a steep hill from a standing start"!
When I explained my situation they either didn't believe me, thought I was doing something wrong, or didn't have a clue what diff wind was. I know a few lads who tow diggers and farm equipment with various pick ups and they all say they'd benefit from 2wd low
Just wondered if any of you tinkered with trucks and knew of a way of achieving it?
My other alternative is to pay the tractor £20 to take the trailer to the top. I stubbornly refuse to do it on a matter of principle. Preferring to carry on as I am and hope that I'd be covered under warranty if anything breaks. Maybe I should just swallow my pride!?
Old 29 March 2017, 10:47   #9

Yes 2wd low should be an option but since they did away with selectable freewheeling hubs it's not available
Best thing I ever had was an old daihatsu fourtrack which had manual hubs it was ideal when reversing or shunting a trailer as you could drop into low and not have the wheels trying to hop skip and jump round corners
Have you looked underneath to see if it has electric diff locks? You may be able to try pulling the multi plug off and see if it helps and if that works then wire in a switch
Old 29 March 2017, 12:50   #10

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Seen this with pick-ups before, mate used to park his speedboat on a lawn and had a tight turn out onto the road, had to use low and his truck then automatically went into 4 wheel drive, it really didn't like the turn and in only a matter of meters it would wind the transmission up. I fix 4x4’s for a living, any situation where the transmission is stressed, wheels scrubbing and jumping is not good for them - it will induce premature failure in the drive train.
Most landys have open centre diffs, using hi and low on the road fine – no wind up whatever you do and if you need extra traction just lock the centre diff - landrovers run quite a good 4x4 system
Old 29 March 2017, 14:45   #11

I'll get underneath and have a look at whats going on. Possibly scour the manual and see if there's a fuse that relates to the electric motor that engages 4wd although I can't imagine it being quite as simple as that otherwise surely one of the pick up manufacturers would have wired a switch to give you 2low. Mind you, if 95% of people would never need it, why would they bother.
Thanks for the replies [emoji106]
Old 29 March 2017, 15:41   #12

Lee. I think it may have been your good advice I've took in the past relating to 4wd pick ups, steep hills, frying clutches, etc and selecting 4low is definitely the lesser of the two evils when compared with how long my clutch would have lasted in 2high.
I did consider a defender when I changed from my L200 to Dmax but having driven several landys I decided the only thing they have over pick ups is the ability to drag anything up anything. I only need this ability 4 times per year for 5 minutes then I need to tow many hundreds of miles on normal roads with family and luggage on board.
Is the 2wd low mod something you've ever come across in you line of work?
Old 29 March 2017, 15:58   #13
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjj216 View Post
I did consider a defender when I changed from my L200 to Dmax but having driven several landys I decided the only thing they have over pick ups is the ability to drag anything up anything.
I went from a LWB Defender to a '15 Dmax. I'm towing the limit plus VAT. I've not regretted the change but the Dmax is not the Landy's equal on steep inclines. It definitely needs 4L for the big haul up the slip - I'm just lucky that my slip/s are straight! I have a tricky hill just outside my home that also can be taken in low box - I'd be snookered if it was all bends! You've hit a very specific situation where the Landy would have walked it. Personally I'd use the perfectly good tractor God sent you and leave the pickup alone It's £100 a year, I've just dropped that on a SIMnet cable
Old 29 March 2017, 17:21   #14
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Got to say, that's the reason I keep hanging onto my old Hilux Surf. 2wd low is a godsend at times.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 17:58   #15

Town: West Midlands
Boat name: Freespirit
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
Have never understood the logic of the Japanese, many of their vehicles have 4wd low that activates the diff lock or centre diff, thus making it difficult on mixed terrain. Why they don't offer 4wd low with no diff lock I don't know.

I have had land rovers in the past and whilst their reliability and practicality is not like a Navara, L200, or the D Max, their towing ability is un matched.

Missed opportunity
Old 29 March 2017, 18:00   #16

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Had to pop mine into low range the other weekend, oh, and all three diff locks - only looked a little puddle................lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0641 crop.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	118702  
Old 29 March 2017, 18:05   #17

Wilk. Your absolutely right. The tractor will eliminate all my problems for £20 a throw. In fact, I doubt the guy would even charge me. It just frustrates me that my old SAAB 93 used to pull my osprey XR18 with DT140 plus luggage and kids up that hill with only the slightest of clutch smell. That clutch gave up on 130,000 mls.
15 years of technology, a "class leading" tow vehicle and, at a guess, 200kg of extra boat and I suppose I'll have to tuck my tail between my legs and ask for a tow. Just doesn't seem right to me!?
Old 02 April 2017, 05:51   #18

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Diff lock engaged on my RRC (LT230 transfer box, not the later viscous coupling variety) will wind the transmission up on tarmac or concrete - esp if any steering involved. Owner's handbook specifically states that difflock is for loose/slippery surfaces & advises against engaging difflock on hard stable surfaces.
Reversing in a straight line with difflock disengaged for 10 to 20 yards unwinds it & I wonder if that might work on yours?
Old 02 April 2017, 17:54   #19

Paintman - it does unwind at the top of the hill. Where it flattens out there's a large patch of grass where the rear wheels give a quick spin and all appears to be well. I just feel like I could eventually break it. I'll probably carry on as I've been doing or pay the tractor until someone comes up with a way of getting 2wd low. I suppose freewheeling hubs might work but I'm not sure how that would work with modern electrical set up.
Old 01 June 2017, 20:02   #20

Town: London
Length: 6m +
Sounds like you have diff lock on. Find a way of disabling it. You don't need diff lock on tarmac.