Old 20 September 2011, 15:12   #1

Town: Darlington
Boat name: Dory
Make: Crompton Seasprint
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mariner 200 outboard
2nd Car (towing vehicle) insurance

Hi all, many appologies if this topic has been covered but I wish to raise the subject again.

I have a small car, (suzuki swift) for which I receive a car allowance for from the company I work for, I do a lot of miles and the swift is very economical, I also get a fuel card.
I have strict rules with what I am allowed to use hence the small cheap as possible runaround.

I need another vehicle to shift that big lump around that is sat on my drive.
I used to have a Isuzu Trooper which was great and before that a Nissan Navara which I loved to bits, (litterally).

Can anyone advise on the best way to insure a second vehicle for towing.
As this will be a second vehicle I cannot use my no claims bonus.
I am not really fussy about the vehicle (it will have to be cheap but reliable and at least 2.5 litre, preferably diesel).
I was thinking about a classic (good on the insurance), but the reliability thing creeps up.
I am edging along the lines of a transit type van or another trooper.
What are your thoughts on how to insure this vehicle?

Thanks

Lee
Old 20 September 2011, 15:24   #2

Make: Avon R280 Tender
Length: under 3m
Engine: Me Rowing!
A transit wouldn't be great for launching unless you have good slips!
Old 20 September 2011, 15:36   #3

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
An older Land Rover Defender - if it's 15 years old or more then you'll be on classic insurance, fully comp, agreed value at under £150 a year. I won't go into specifics here (check any of the numerous Landy forums) but a early 200 or 300Tdi will be fine (or even a 2.5 NA if you don't want to go too far too often - ignore the 2.5 Turbo), check the chassis/X-member/bulkhead for corrosion and gearbox and engine for excessive wear - other than that they are reliable as can be if looked after and cheap as chips to fix with a bag of spanners if they do go wrong.
Old 20 September 2011, 15:47   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagato View Post
A transit wouldn't be great for launching unless you have good slips!
Seems to be a reasonably popular choice of tow vehicle for divers from what I've seen. You can manage most slips with common sense and a long rope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
An older Land Rover Defender - if it's 15 years old or more then you'll be on classic insurance, fully comp, agreed value at under £150 a year. ....
Ignoring the inevitable argument about whether landy's are actually as good as people think - is it fair to say they attract a "premium" because they have a certain appeal?
Old 20 September 2011, 16:16   #5

Town: wells
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Seems to be a reasonably popular choice of tow vehicle for divers from what I've seen.
and pikeys!
Old 20 September 2011, 17:46   #6

Town: Ebbw Vale, Gwent
Boat name: Seabay
Make: Avon, Bonwitco
Engine: 4,25,35 Johnsons
I have only ever used a transit in 10 years. Further more it is a Rwd version aswell. As mentioned. common sence and sometimes a good rope.
Old 20 September 2011, 17:58   #7

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Without wanting to cause any debate but I'd have thought you would get stopped quite a bit more in a Transit van towing a Rib so just make sure your brakes are working as they should!

Assuming it's a plain white/blue one that is!

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 20 September 2011, 18:19   #8

Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Engine: E-Tec 115
When I went from one car to two I also faced the problem of only having one no claims bonus to use.
I went with an Admiral multi-car policy in the end as they were already the cheapest on the car I already had but would allow me to mirror the no claims bonus on that to another car insured with them too.
Old 21 September 2011, 09:14   #9

Town: Northampton
Make: RibTec
Engine: Outbaord mariner 75
I insured my car with Admiral and they are ok.
Even took into account my company car no claims as well as older no claims bonus that I had on my range rover with them.

PS the rangie we a good towing vehicle but did need some looking after and tlc.
I rebuilt the engine and it never put a foot wrong. ( pervious engine ripped it self to bits as the muppet who I got it off didnt do up some oil pipes/cooler/filter and the wrong engine. brought as a 3.9 but was actually a 3.5 and this was a rangie garrage so he gave me a 3.9...long story)

I would have another one. It was on LPG also.

I have in the past ran 2 cars of my own and had the same NCD on both insurance companys without issues from either companys.
Old 21 September 2011, 09:30   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Ignoring the inevitable argument about whether landy's are actually as good as people think - is it fair to say they attract a "premium" because they have a certain appeal?
How do you mean Polwart - a premium as in increased cost? Not sure what a 'new' Defender would cost to insure but generally older utility Landys are very reasonable to insure and low cost - my '98 300Tdi 110 CSW is around £200 a year fully comp on my Admiral multi car policy, my 1986 'classic' Ninety Landy is around £125 fully comp/agreed value.
Old 21 September 2011, 10:01   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
A premium as in higher purchase cost, not insurance cost. So if you had two vehicles equally as capabable of doing what the OP wants/needs and one is a Landrover - would the Landrover not cost more simply because it is a Landrover? You are paying for the badge/kudos of it being a Landy - even though the OP just wants a cheap 'tractor' for moving his boat...
Old 21 September 2011, 10:11   #12

I don't think so (specifically as the OP is looking for an older second vehicle) - utility Landys have a high cost *new* because the manufacture and build process is essentially 60 years old and ridiculously costly. That's why they are finally about to stop production - second hand Landys hold their value well after the initial depreciation and at certain ages stop losing value - hence very cheap to run as parts/insurance is negligable and depreciation becomes virtually zero. And in terms of enthusiasts' only the VW lot come close to the nutters that love and support old Landys.

If you want a simple to fix, cheap to buy, easy to re-sell boat pulling utlity then a Landy fits the bill, they are not for everyone though...
Old 22 September 2011, 06:58   #13

Town: Cambs
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
I know it's not on thread but we had an admiral multicar policy which was great value in year one. The renewal has just come through at twice the price for the second year with no change to the policy £1300. By shopping around I've managed to get the price back down to £600 for both vehicles. I asked the call Centre guy why and he said they only price match other brands in their group. Good luck to them I say, they're being shafted by competitors!!!

I wish insurance companies would keep consistent so I didn't have to keep shopping round so much.
Old 22 September 2011, 10:36   #14

Town: Northampton
Make: RibTec
Engine: Outbaord mariner 75
Arr I had this with Admiral. Phone them up and tell them its too expensive and you haev had cheeper quotes.
I compared my renewal lettter to tehir online quites and the online was cheeper by £100 so called them up and they amended my renewal.

They need to be kept under scruteny at renewal time.
Old 22 September 2011, 10:51   #15

[puts on grumpy consumer hat]

As Jezza says, this applies to *any* on-going deal you might have - BT phone/broadband, Sky subscription, car insurance, home insurance, Big Yellow storage - it's a pain but they all rely on customers not being bothered to switch. Every renewal, ring them up - threaten to leave/move business and they will *all* drop their rates to keep your business - don't accept the first offer either - they usually drop to an even lower rate if pushed!