Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 10 February 2018, 17:53   #1
zip
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Pacific Beach
Boat name: Dash II
Make: Willard
Length: 7m +
Engine: Cummins
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 618
1992 Willard 730 - $129,000

1992 Willard Sea Force 730 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Looks nice, but $129,000 seems a little pricey.
__________________

__________________
zip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 07:28   #2
Member
 
Pete7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,899
Or save some cash and make do with this instead

2007 Protector 28 Center Console Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6457598_20171016121503851_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	123430  
__________________

__________________
.
Ribnet is best viewed on a computer of some sort
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 07:57   #3
zip
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Pacific Beach
Boat name: Dash II
Make: Willard
Length: 7m +
Engine: Cummins
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 618
yep, saw that one. nice boat.
__________________
zip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 14:02   #4
Member
 
capntroy's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Town: Orange County, CA
Boat name: Northwind
Make: Northwind
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin Yamaha 350's
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip View Post
Looks nice, but $129,000 seems a little pricey.
The price is actually pretty reasonable if you're a commercial operator.

This isn't one of the military surplus Willards, it's a purpose-built boat that has been COI'D by the USCG to carry 13 passengers for hire.

This one used to be a snorkel tour boat on Catalina Island and worked all the time.
__________________
capntroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 14:21   #5
zip
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Pacific Beach
Boat name: Dash II
Make: Willard
Length: 7m +
Engine: Cummins
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 618
^^^^

hmmm, ok. I didn't know it would cost so much to refurb one of these.
__________________
zip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 14:38   #6
Member
 
capntroy's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Town: Orange County, CA
Boat name: Northwind
Make: Northwind
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin Yamaha 350's
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip View Post
hmmm, ok. I didn't know it would cost so much to refurb one of these.
It doesn't, you can buy very nicely refurbished Willard 7meter RHIBs all day for $30,000.

The value of this boat lies in the fact that it's a COI'd commercial boat.

There aren't a lot of COI'd RHIBs in the first place and they seldom come up for sale.
__________________
capntroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 14:40   #7
zip
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Pacific Beach
Boat name: Dash II
Make: Willard
Length: 7m +
Engine: Cummins
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 618
^^^^
aaah, got it.
thanks for the education.
__________________
zip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 01:20   #8
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Northern California
Make: Hurricane H630
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2007 Honda 150
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by capntroy View Post
It doesn't, you can buy very nicely refurbished Willard 7meter RHIBs all day for $30,000.

The value of this boat lies in the fact that it's a COI'd commercial boat.

There aren't a lot of COI'd RHIBs in the first place and they seldom come up for sale.
A little off topic, do you know if this same boat (Willard) carrying 6 or less paying passengers only would need a COI ??
__________________
ddgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 01:35   #9
Member
 
capntroy's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Town: Orange County, CA
Boat name: Northwind
Make: Northwind
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin Yamaha 350's
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post
A little off topic, do you know if this same boat (Willard) carrying 6 or less paying passengers only would need a COI ??
No, there are some requirements that the boat would need to adhere to, but there is no inspection per se.

The operator would need to have his 6-pack (OUPV) license though.
__________________
capntroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 01:51   #10
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Northern California
Make: Hurricane H630
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2007 Honda 150
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by capntroy View Post
No, there are some requirements that the boat would need to adhere to, but there is no inspection per se.

The operator would need to have his 6-pack (OUPV) license though.
Thanks!

I do have my OUPV in good standing. I know that for a boat less than 5 tons you don't need to document it, but to use it for hire it needs to be registered as "commercial passenger". I can't seem to get anyone to point me in the right direction as to how to do that with my local DMV here in California. Coast Guard seem only interested in COD and COI.
__________________
ddgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 01:58   #11
Member
 
capntroy's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Town: Orange County, CA
Boat name: Northwind
Make: Northwind
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin Yamaha 350's
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post
Thanks!

I do have my OUPV in good standing. I know that for a boat less than 5 tons you don't need to document it, but to use it for hire it needs to be registered as "commercial passenger". I can't seem to get anyone to point me in the right direction as to how to do that with my local DMV here in California. Coast Guard seem only interested in COD and COI.
Might as well just go ahead & document it...I use the Mary Conlin Company in Newport Beach to document my boats, no hassles...
__________________
capntroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 02:02   #12
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Northern California
Make: Hurricane H630
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2007 Honda 150
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by capntroy View Post
Might as well just go ahead & document it...I use the Mary Conlin Company in Newport Beach to document my boats, no hassles...
I tried, the problem is the CG's National Vessel Documentation Center will NOT document vessels less than 5 tons. They have to be state registered, but not as "pleasure". It's frustrating
__________________
ddgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 02:20   #13
Member
 
capntroy's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Town: Orange County, CA
Boat name: Northwind
Make: Northwind
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin Yamaha 350's
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post
I tried, the problem is the CG's National Vessel Documentation Center will NOT document vessels less than 5 tons. They have to be state registered, but not as "pleasure". It's frustrating
Any reason not to call the boat 6 tons then? It's not like anybody is going to admeasure it...
__________________
capntroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 02:22   #14
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Northern California
Make: Hurricane H630
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2007 Honda 150
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by capntroy View Post
Any reason not to call the boat 6 tons then? It's not like anybody is going to admeasure it...
Haha, you got me thinking... No, if I remember correctly, they do need measurements
__________________
ddgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 02:23   #15
Member
 
capntroy's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Town: Orange County, CA
Boat name: Northwind
Make: Northwind
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin Yamaha 350's
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post
Haha, you got me thinking... No, if I remember correctly, they do need measurements
There's got to be a way to skin that cat...
__________________
capntroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2018, 10:29   #16
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,251
Important note:
Vessels carrying passengers for hire must comply with JONES ACT, which dictates a >51% made in the USA construction.
__________________
Richard
Gluing geek since 2007
Opinions and intepretations expressed are solely my own and do not express the views or opinions of my employer
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 00:56   #17
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Northern California
Make: Hurricane H630
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2007 Honda 150
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 57
You are correct. There is also a waiver program available for $500. The boat has to be more than 3 years old, and must only be used for transporting passengers, no cargo. What is really frustrating is that the CG are buying all these ribs from Canada for their use, then they turn around and charge us $500 for the waiver because we are supposed to use vessels made here so as not to cause burden to local shipbuilders...
__________________

__________________
ddgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×