Old 06 October 2008, 01:41   #1

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Worse tow car

Just had a new Renault Laguna GT estate on long hire.

What a car. I wanted to hate it but it was awesome - totally unlike any Froggy car I have driven before. A really firm ride and an amazing 175bhp diesel engine.

The car really was stupidly fast. On the awesome Brecon Beacons roads I was often held up by motorbikes - they would pull out to pass a car and I would be right behind them being slowed down!!!

The problem with the car was the torque - oh they was plenty of it - almost too much - at motorway+ speeds you would get a massive surge in 6th and torque steer. This I loved - it was low down it was crap. Below about 2800rpm there was just nothing. It was quicker to pull out of junctions in my Disco than the Laguna. Hill starts were a nightmare - only way was lots of slipping clutch or turn the traction control off and get loads of wheelspin.

The seats were fantastic on a long run - just right for my bad back - much better than German cars. The radio was crap - real shit - you have to download a list of stations and then jump between the presets - no seek function.

The car was a bit bland inside and a bit bland outside but what an awesome long distance cruiser. I averaged 40mpg which is remarkable the way I drive - a 2L petrol would have given about 22mpg.

It is a much better car than the passat or mondeo I had a few weeks ago. If you like hard driving that is.

Just don't get one as a tow car!!!