Old 17 December 2008, 16:15   #21

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Cookee if fuel consumption is not a major issue then the V10 Touareg would be nice I do seem to remember in the original test that the V10 handling was little off because of the weight up front. VW may have that sorted now.

Lets face it none of these are going to be cheap if they go wrong so its down to what you like the look of.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2008, 17:12   #22

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
i have just got an X5 and so far i am really pleased with it. fits within your budget. not sure about the towing capacity tho. i am sure others will tell you they are no good!

im afraid the closest to offroad my gets is the parking field at the rugby club

if i remember, Nauti had an x5 for a matter or months and loved it. sure he towed a load of stuff with it as well.
Old 17 December 2008, 17:29   #23

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Because of the disparity with the cost of diesel, some of the big petrols are really not that bad to run. In Scotland it was almost 17p/litre at one time, so , for the extra cost of the vehicle the supposed saving by running a diesel must have been eroded, particularly when its widely accepted that big 4x4's have fallen through the floor price wise.

You'll have to accept that a full sized job is required if you want to tow 3.5 tonnes though. A Daihatsu Fourtrak being one of the few exceptions, as its quite small, even in LWB, but could still haul 3.5 tonnes no problem. They are getting a bit long in the tooth now though. Most of the soft roaders will only tow 2.6-2.8 tonne, although some manufacturers offer a cost option to upgrade that to 3.5, for the current X5 for example, it was a £35 cost option when the vehicle was ordered, and could only be done at the factory. That is where the Discos and RRs win as they are all 3.5. tonne rated AFAIK

I couldnt fault my E53 X5 either (last model) and am very happy with my newer E70 X5, very relaxed cruiser and tows very well, I rarly go off road. The E53 4.6 was a stonker. The only complaint I have with the 4.8 is that the transmission shift can be a bit errratic, but only the 4.8 suffers this as the ecu tries to use the engine to brake a lot which means it holds ratios too long sometimes. Build quality is second to none in the E53's
Old 17 December 2008, 21:01   #24

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15
I'd get a 1970s Range rover then you can hose the back down after the little angel has puked, pissed and crapped all over the back
Old 28 December 2008, 10:40   #25

Town: birmingham
Boat name: dawnraid
Make: ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ob 200hp
4x4

in the midlands the 4x4 market has fell apart .i have just purchased a new nissan pathfinder for less £10k off book from main dealer .all the part exs will go on the block for silly money but great bargains
Old 01 January 2009, 22:34   #26

Town: Bangor
Boat name: Mitigator
Make: XS
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercury Verado 250
Cookee,

I have been running a 3.0 V6 TDi Touareg for two and a half years now and have found it pretty reliable. (One warning light/return to dealer scenario, but all sorted rapidly).

The V10 is nice, but doesn't handle as well as the V6. It has ridiculous power, but the V6 has plenty and you won't find either sluggish. Avoid the 2.5 Tdi as underpowered.

One good feature with the T'reg is that it is a reasonable size. It also has a low range box and (in my one) a locking centre diff. More genuine off road performance than say a BMW or Audi Q7.

Mine tows well, will manage 34-35mpg on the motorway and is fun to drive when you hoof it, particularly in sport mode!

You can buy them for buttons too..... sadly!

Good luck!

Regds

Mike