Old 12 August 2013, 07:57   #1

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
What Battery?

I've had some random starting issues the last couple of days where either the immobiliser hasn't disengaged or the truck fails to turn over. I noticed low voltage on the in-car meter the last time this happened and thought it might be time to replace the battery so that I could eliminate that from the equation.

Before I purchased a new one I'd like to explain that I started a new job 3 months ago which involves a 1 mile journey to and from work. I wondered if there is a battery more suitable to dealing with lots of short journeys?

Any thoughts?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2013, 08:29   #2

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 Mariner
Maybe have a chat with Barden's on Segensworth? Even if you don't buy it from them (they can be a bit dear on some things - even to the trade) you may get a better idea of what's available.
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2013, 08:34   #3

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Hi Andy, You can buy a tester quite cheep or take your car to a battery dealer and they can do a test for you, you need to check the alternator and battery. That's assuming that there's not a fault elsewhere on the truck.

Took my old vw t5 battery to a place called Bristol Batteries and they said that the cold cranking test was very poor even though I had just fully charged the battery.
Old 12 August 2013, 08:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
Hi Andy, You can buy a tester quite cheep or take your car to a battery dealer and they can do a test for you, you need to check the alternator and battery. That's assuming that there's not a fault elsewhere on the truck.

Took my old vw t5 battery to a place called Bristol Batteries and they said that the cold cranking test was very poor even though I had just fully charged the battery.
I've already checked the voltage at rest and under load by measuring the voltage across the terminals and it looks okay. But this only tells one side of the story so I'm going to replace the battery anyway. I've had the 4x4 for over 5 years and the battery hasn't been touched apart from the occasional trickle charge during the winter months (I've always done this).

It's a fair comment you make about the alternator Alex, but I'm pretty confident that it's outputting the correct voltage for charging as I can see whats happening as I switch all my electrical loads on and it's still reading healthy voltage.

As for any other problems, who knows? But I'll do the easy and relatively cheap things first.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 12 August 2013, 09:24   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy View Post
Maybe have a chat with Barden's on Segensworth? Even if you don't buy it from them (they can be a bit dear on some things - even to the trade) you may get a better idea of what's available.
Just gave them a ring, they weren't that helpful and suggested a battery that's suitable for start/stop technology. When he looked my truck up on their database there wasn't one suitable so suggested a 70amp Varta Blue with 630cca as a replacement. £80+ VAT

If I can't find anything more suitable I think I'm going to buy as big a capacity leisure battery as I can physically fit in the battery tray.

These have really good CCA's and the price is pretty good too.

Numax CXV27MF Sealed Leisure Battery 12V 100Ah 900MCA 500 Cycles XV27MF - Leisure Batteries - Numax Leisure Batteries
Numax CXV-X 1000 Amp - Leisure Batteries - Numax Leisure Batteries

What do you think?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 12 August 2013, 09:30   #6

When pricing up batteries in the past the price differs depending on the warrantee, once they sell you the battery they stick the correct sticker on for the type of warrantee/model you have purchased but its the same battery!

I always go for the cheapest 1 year option from a trade battery dealer
Old 12 August 2013, 09:43   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
When pricing up batteries in the past the price differs depending on the warrantee, once they sell you the battery they stick the correct sticker on for the type of warrantee/model you have purchased but its the same battery!

I always go for the cheapest 1 year option from a trade battery dealer
I didn't know that! That's a bit naughty!

I have never really looked at a warranty as a deciding factor in any purchase unless I'm buying blind.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 12 August 2013, 10:01   #8

I have a trade account due to the amount of batteries I had to buy for all the rusty toys my dad left behind, when I get a battery I go into the warehouse and choose it, they then take it to a bench to do some tests and then label it up.

When they tested my t5 battery they knew I had just charged it by testing it but under load it failed the test, a multi meter cannot do this test as I think it needs to be under load, you could try switching everything on (lights, stereo, heaters, heated windows) without the engine running and see how much the voltage drops.

I think with the engine running it should be about 14.5v but you can search for your car details on the net.

I don't think there is any point in getting a start stop battery as your alternator is made for the correct battery for your car.

When I was on the tools my van used to do about 1-2 miles between jobs about 10 per day and I had loads of equipment running off it, it always started after every day for three years before the van was replaced
Old 12 August 2013, 10:10   #9

Town: Poole
Boat name: Exodus
Make: Tohatsu
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 150
Andy, personal experience last year when I stopped commuting 100 miles every day and dropped to 20, the battery low volt warning would come on almost every week. Had it tested for free at the local tyre and battery place and they told me it was simply the charging time on the drive to work not being long enough. Nothing wrong with the battery and I'd be wasting money by getting a new one. I'd really suggest getting it checked before buying a new one.
Old 12 August 2013, 10:15   #10

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Just gave them a ring, they weren't that helpful and suggested a battery that's suitable for start/stop technology. When he looked my truck up on their database there wasn't one suitable so suggested a 70amp Varta Blue with 630cca as a replacement. £80+ VAT

If I can't find anything more suitable I think I'm going to buy as big a capacity leisure battery as I can physically fit in the battery tray.

These have really good CCA's and the price is pretty good too.

Numax CXV27MF Sealed Leisure Battery 12V 100Ah 900MCA 500 Cycles XV27MF - Leisure Batteries - Numax Leisure Batteries
Numax CXV-X 1000 Amp - Leisure Batteries - Numax Leisure Batteries

What do you think?

Sorry to hear that. I just gave them a call and prices to me:

the Varta 068 70ah (same as they quoted you) is £61.97 + vat
and Varta 069 74ah (slightly higher specification) is £66.09 + vat

Those batteries you listed look good. Only trouble with leisure batteries is that usually they're good for holding a charge, but not so great with cranking. However, those Numax batteries are good bits of kit and the crank on them looks good. I'll have a look and see how much they are to me, if you'd like? I could always drop it off, as we're both in Fareham.
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2013, 10:28   #11

Pretty sound advice from everyone.

I've just spoken to Halfords in Fareham and they will check my battery FOC if I bring it down (it is a Halfords Battery ) so I'll do that in a mo and let you know how it fairs.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 12 August 2013, 10:41   #12
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
+1 for Numax. I've got a pair of them on the Ballistic and they seem pretty good. They were significantly cheaper than other options as well.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2013, 10:45   #13
RIBnet supporter

Make: Tornado
Engine: Twin Outboard
Agreed on Numax - had pair on tornado since start of season, and have been great.
Old 12 August 2013, 10:47   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy View Post
Sorry to hear that. I just gave them a call and prices to me:

the Varta 068 70ah (same as they quoted you) is £61.97 + vat
and Varta 069 74ah (slightly higher specification) is £66.09 + vat

Those batteries you listed look good. Only trouble with leisure batteries is that usually they're good for holding a charge, but not so great with cranking. However, those Numax batteries are good bits of kit and the crank on them looks good. I'll have a look and see how much they are to me, if you'd like? I could always drop it off, as we're both in Fareham.
Usually helpful as usual!

They didn't quote the model number but judging from the specs and price they mentioned it looks like the 068 they quoted. At £79.68+VAT ( £95.61inc).

However the offerings from Tayna look better in terms of price and specs 100Ah and 900cca for the larger one.

The battery I have in the truck is a Halfords Calcium HBC072 550cca and 68ah.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 12 August 2013, 12:32   #15
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
The battery I have in the truck is a Halfords Calcium HBC072 550cca and 68ah.
It's not one of the ones that's really light to pick up is it?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2013, 12:34   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
It's not one of the ones that's really light to pick up is it?
No, it's still full of lead

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 12 August 2013, 14:08   #17
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
HT - I live a couple of miles from work and in the winter months I don't do much else with the Land Rover - so I was having a similar problem to you - the battery would go flat after a month or so. I changed it for a "small tractor" battery and that solved the issue - probably as it increased the chance of me doing a longer charging journey within the time it took the bigger battery to discharge. I kept the old one and it's still working as a spare.
Old 12 August 2013, 14:29   #18

Just back from Halfords. What a bunch of spotty nosed clowns they are.

Whilst I was waiting to be served one of the spotty nosed erks split a number plate he was making. ....Apparently the 3rd one today. Then another spotty nosed erk decided to connect up the diagnostic meter to the battery the wrong way round. "What you doing" I said before he made the connection. "Your fitting the negative to the positive." ...... Then he carries on connecting it up the wrong way saying it doesn't matter. ... what a twat! So I pulled the lead off and suggested someone with training should probably be carrying out the test.

Anyway the test was carried out and is follows

Volts - 12.71v
Measured 449 EN(A)
Rating 550 EN(A)

Replacement advised.....after all that carry on, no surprises there

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 12 August 2013, 14:38   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
HT - I live a couple of miles from work and in the winter months I don't do much else with the Land Rover - so I was having a similar problem to you - the battery would go flat after a month or so. I changed it for a "small tractor" battery and that solved the issue - probably as it increased the chance of me doing a longer charging journey within the time it took the bigger battery to discharge. I kept the old one and it's still working as a spare.
My thought are the same as yours Willk

With a Numax CXV 100ha and 900cca I'll have plenty of reserve capacity for all those short journeys and should get topped up at the weekend when I use her a bit more.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 18 August 2013, 14:29   #20

Just to thank everyone for their input. 100ah leisure battery with 950cca starting capacity fitted last Thursday. Noticeably Improved starting speed from cold, must have given a new lease of life to the glow plugs. No further apparent starting issues either, so far so good!

Looks Slow but is Fast