Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 20 January 2009, 09:49   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Watch out new insurance law

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...clampdown.html

Yet another disgrace from our control freak government.

As if SORN wasn't bad enough they are now going to make it compulsory to notify them if your car isn't insured - even if it is in bits inside your own garage!!!

You will get a 100 fine and could even have your car seized!!!

Imagine - you are working abroad - or just plain forget - you KNOW your car is safe in your garage - your contract is extended so you work on for another 3 months - you come home to find you have been fined for no tax or insurance even though the car is on blocks in your own garage on your private property!!!

When will this government stop???
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2009, 10:40   #2
Member
 
Bern Hanreck's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Boat name: La Bamba
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: F100 Yam / 5Hp Suz
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 707
hang on Codders !

Quote from the article itself....."The new offence of keeping an uninsured car will not apply to any motorist who has filled out a form - known as a Statutory Off Road Notification - confirming that the vehicle is not being driven."

This is aimed at the b******s who drive round uninsured , killing innocent folk and costing every honest motorist at least 30 a year on their premium !

It might just be that this one makes sense
__________________

__________________
Bern Hanreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2009, 10:56   #3
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck View Post
Quote from the article itself....."The new offence of keeping an uninsured car will not apply to any motorist who has filled out a form - known as a Statutory Off Road Notification - confirming that the vehicle is not being driven."

This is aimed at the b******s who drive round uninsured , killing innocent folk and costing every honest motorist at least 30 a year on their premium !

It might just be that this one makes sense
No sense at all.

Those that drive around uninsured aren't stupid enough to register vehicles in their own names. It'll achieve very little apart from demonising those who are trying to obey the law. As usual, those who are deliberately breaking it have been left a nice easy way to get around it.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2009, 11:09   #4
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
That's very true Nos but you also have the people who's insurance is up for renewal Just at the right time when they can't afford it. But decide to keep on driving.
__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2009, 11:10   #5
Member
 
Bern Hanreck's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Boat name: La Bamba
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: F100 Yam / 5Hp Suz
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 707
I think that what Nos says used to be very true , but there's a much greater risk nowadays ( certainly around London ) of being pulled up on the road because of automatic reg. no. recognition . Of course if the car has false / cloned plates..........
__________________
Bern Hanreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2009, 11:14   #6
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck View Post
I think that what Nos says used to be very true , but there's a much greater risk nowadays ( certainly around London ) of being pulled up on the road because of automatic reg. no. recognition . Of course if the car has false / cloned plates..........
YEs, but those doing it don't really care. They just get banned on non-existent licences.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2009, 11:17   #7
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
YEs, but those doing it don't really care. They just get banned on non-existent licences.
Yeah Got hit by one a couple of years ago Very bad time.
__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2009, 11:37   #8
Member
 
biffer's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,848
and i suppose that the goverment getting 5% of every policy sold might have something to do with it to
__________________
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2009, 12:59   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Yet another disgrace from our control freak government.

As if SORN wasn't bad enough they are now going to make it compulsory to notify them if your car isn't insured - even if it is in bits inside your own garage!!!

You will get a 100 fine and could even have your car seized!!!

Imagine - you are working abroad - or just plain forget - you KNOW your car is safe in your garage - your contract is extended so you work on for another 3 months - you come home to find you have been fined for no tax or insurance even though the car is on blocks in your own garage on your private property!!!

When will this government stop???
Don't understand why this upsets you. Surely any legislation that gets uninsured cars off the road is a good thing.

I currently have 2 vehicles that are sorn, so this wouldn't effect me. If I had a car on blocks in my garage, then I'd sorn that one as well.

If I was working abroad, and had my contract extended by 3 months, I'd either sorn that one as well, or I'd renew the insurance when it was due. Most companies e mail you when it's due, so what is the problem.
__________________
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!
Dirk Diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2009, 13:05   #10
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
Don't understand why this upsets you. Surely any legislation that gets uninsured cars off the road is a good thing.

I currently have 2 vehicles that are sorn, so this wouldn't effect me. If I had a car on blocks in my garage, then I'd sorn that one as well.

If I was working abroad, and had my contract extended by 3 months, I'd either sorn that one as well, or I'd renew the insurance when it was due. Most companies e mail you when it's due, so what is the problem.
The problm is, DVLA are very lax about sending out SORN reminders. They seem to prefer to send out on the spot fines instead,a month after the SORN expires. It's not like you've got a 'sorn disc' as a reminder.
We got caught by this one early last year on a bike that's been being rebuilt slowly over the past 2 years.Instant 80 fine, they say they don't have a legal duty to remind you so sod you, we want your money. Wait til DVLA start automatically adding points.


Could someone explain to me exactly how a SORN declaration or an automatic no insurance fine stops people using an uninsured car on the road? It's as much bullcrap as the ID card fiasco-is carrying a small card going to make someone less likely to blow themselves up?
Nothing at any point prevents someone from opening the car door, turning the key and driving away. Until there's a big enough deterrent (eg 2 months automatic prison sentence) then it will make no odds.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.