Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 04 October 2012, 10:32   #1
Member
 
Razorbill RIBs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,358
RIBase
Wanted: Cheap Tractor

After a cheap tractor for moving boats on the yard, and to tow a Topper..... doesn't neccesarily need a v5 /to go on road...... Geography poss an issue, but tbh even old rubbish holds its price here in West Wales, so looking a bit further afield (or poss in a further field?)..... Needs to have a PTO but thats all tbh.....

Anything considered
__________________

__________________
Dan Worth
www.razorbillribs.co.uk

Follow us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2012, 11:37   #2
Member
 
biffer's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbill RIBs
After a cheap tractor for moving boats on the yard, and to tow a Topper..... doesn't neccesarily need a v5 /to go on road...... Geography poss an issue, but tbh even old rubbish holds its price here in West Wales, so looking a bit further afield (or poss in a further field?)..... Needs to have a PTO but thats all tbh.....

Anything considered
You'll be hard pushed to find a tractor anywhere at reasonable money, went to a farm dispersal auction the other day and even scrapers were fetching silly money
__________________

__________________
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2012, 15:23   #3
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
How much you wanting to spend and don't say as little as possible!

Whats the PTO for?
__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2012, 15:25   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
How much you wanting to spend and don't say as little as possible!

Whats the PTO for?
A topper
__________________
whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2012, 15:33   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
Me and a few mates got an old JCB a few years a go for some airstrip/hangar modification ...huge fun...pulled anything ( mostly over ) . Dug great drainage ditches too
__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2012, 15:36   #6
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
Just be careful if you buy something really old like an old fordson, their PTO drives were too low for modern implements lifted on the arms, are you after something vintage that 'works' or something newer?
__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2012, 16:20   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,038
My father had three tractors, an International, a Kubota and a MF35.

We've had the MF35 for about 25 years and I've been cutting the lawn ever since we got it. I just bought a new topper for it this year and it was the best thing I've ever done (tractor wise) I still cut the lawn with it even now and apart from a few batteries, one starter motor and exaust, thats all I've spent on it apart from someone left a rag in the tank when we first had it and it kept breaking down. It runs like a sewing machine now though.

The international is seized and I need to find out how to free it off and the Kubota starts first time every time

My advice would be, do a little research on what others use for the same job, I think you will also need to add weight to the front to stop it from doing wheelies if you are pulling something heavy and also find out which ones start best in the winter.

Tractors hold their money well and you are doing the right thing using a PTO driven topper

Good luck with your search
__________________
whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2012, 01:16   #8
Member
 
Razorbill RIBs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,358
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
You'll be hard pushed to find a tractor anywhere at reasonable money, went to a farm dispersal auction the other day and even scrapers were fetching silly money
In West Wales nothing is wiorth much......until someone wants it

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
How much you wanting to spend and don't say as little as possible!

Whats the PTO for?
I missed a nice little Ford for under a grand a few weeks ago Hoping I could pick up something useable for around the 1K mark (plus Topper of course).....

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
A topper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Just be careful if you buy something really old like an old fordson, their PTO drives were too low for modern implements lifted on the arms, are you after something vintage that 'works' or something newer?
Probably vintage working tbh......always had a fancy for an old Fergie, but they all seem to have been restored and feching a couple of grand thes days......

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
My father had three tractors, an International, a Kubota and a MF35.

We've had the MF35 for about 25 years and I've been cutting the lawn ever since we got it. I just bought a new topper for it this year and it was the best thing I've ever done (tractor wise) I still cut the lawn with it even now and apart from a few batteries, one starter motor and exaust, thats all I've spent on it apart from someone left a rag in the tank when we first had it and it kept breaking down. It runs like a sewing machine now though.

The international is seized and I need to find out how to free it off and the Kubota starts first time every time

My advice would be, do a little research on what others use for the same job, I think you will also need to add weight to the front to stop it from doing wheelies if you are pulling something heavy and also find out which ones start best in the winter.

Tractors hold their money well and you are doing the right thing using a PTO driven topper

Good luck with your search
Thanks I'm pretty lucky in that a lot of my friends are farmers so anything 'heavy' can be done with proper kit / at mates rates..... Its really just for the topper, pulling the odd tree after its been dropped and moving the boats about.....oh, and mostly I want a Tractor to play with
__________________
Dan Worth
www.razorbillribs.co.uk

Follow us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2012, 01:27   #9
Member
 
mick's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 90Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbill RIBs
After a cheap tractor for moving boats on the yard, and to tow a Topper..... doesn't neccesarily need a v5 /to go on road...... Geography poss an issue, but tbh even old rubbish holds its price here in West Wales, so looking a bit further afield (or poss in a further field?)..... Needs to have a PTO but thats all tbh.....

Anything considered
Don't think there is such a thing as a cheap tractor these days I am told they go for silly money up here as well have a look at York farm auctions on the net
Wharfdale tractors is another one to look at or Ripon farm services is another might give you an idea on prices
__________________
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2012, 02:34   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Do you really need a tractor to tow a small dingy?
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2012, 03:08   #11
Member
 
Razorbill RIBs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,358
RIBase
Could have done with one on Weds..... Was working down your way, out of Ferryside.... The slipway in front of the (st.Johns?) lifeboat is deep in soft sand nearly got the dingy and Jeep stuck.... that could have been embarrasing! Oh and the confluence just off Pendine range markers was 'interesting'......was some serious stuff building out there

In other news, Stu is poss heading down our way to collect the SR6 he's bought in a few weeks..... if i'm around /home may head out for a beer.....fancy a 60 mile detour on way home from work?
__________________
Dan Worth
www.razorbillribs.co.uk

Follow us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2012, 03:10   #12
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
I thought you meant topper dinghy!
__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2012, 03:13   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,038
Have you already got the topper?
__________________
whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2012, 03:18   #14
Member
 
biffer's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,848
What can I say

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1437436871.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	72893
__________________
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2012, 03:23   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
What can I say

Attachment 72893
Yep thats the one I need to find out how to free off the engine on ours, just as a guide we were offered 700 from a farmer and thats with a seized engine after standing for 10 years.
__________________
whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2012, 03:54   #16
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,333
RIBase
AS a small farmer we have a david browne tractor small 880 and MF 135. A good tractor but a bitch to start in the winter. The Massey is an easier tractor to start during the cold winter months. It is hard to keep breaks on a Massey though and they tend not to be quite as good as working in soft ground conditions as they have lower ground clearance.
"A massey is classey , but a zettor is better"
__________________
two stroke mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2012, 05:46   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbill RIBs View Post
Could have done with one on Weds..... Was working down your way, out of Ferryside.... The slipway in front of the (st.Johns?) lifeboat is deep in soft sand nearly got the dingy and Jeep stuck.... that could have been embarrasing! Oh and the confluence just off Pendine range markers was 'interesting'......was some serious stuff building out there

In other news, Stu is poss heading down our way to collect the SR6 he's bought in a few weeks..... if i'm around /home may head out for a beer.....fancy a 60 mile detour on way home from work?
Ferryside was the waterski Mecca on windy days. Could always find a bit of calm water somewhere up the Towy - the S-bends just South of Carmarthen were/are great fun (as long as nobody was coming in the opposite direction ) Mad tides only give 1.5 hours each side of HW, so had to get out, ski/kneeboard and back to the beach/slipway without hanging around. There'd often be a seal or 2 popping their heads up to see what all the fuss was about - gave a few novice kneeboarders a bit of a shock
We knew a guy who was a member of the local club, so he'd arrange a tractor launch & recovery for us, which was great.

Let me know when the wave is due - would be cool to meet up for a shant or 2.
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2012, 08:02   #18
Member
 
Razorbill RIBs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,358
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
I thought you meant topper dinghy!


Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
Have you already got the topper?
Not yet.....but i've seen a serviceable one, just need to get him down a bit You know of one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
What can I say

Vewy nice twactor

Attachment 72893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Let me know when the wave is due - would be cool to meet up for a shant or 2.
Will do....hes offshore for a while longer according to Mark (spoke with him a few days ago I think)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
AS a small farmer we have a david browne tractor small 880 and MF 135. A good tractor but a bitch to start in the winter. The Massey is an easier tractor to start during the cold winter months. It is hard to keep breaks on a Massey though and they tend not to be quite as good as working in soft ground conditions as they have lower ground clearance.
"A massey is classey , but a zettor is better"
Dai Browns are v popular machines round these parts..... as are Tractor Rallies..... I could be starting on a slippery slope
__________________
Dan Worth
www.razorbillribs.co.uk

Follow us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2012, 08:35   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,038
I have two hayter toppers here both need alot of work or there's about 6 ransomes mowers too if you want to mow with cylinders. 4 are pro driven and 2 have kubota diesel engines like the council use.

I've also got to clear a few other bits like a mini digger, trencher and lots of small tractor add on's like a fork lift , potato plough, harrow, spike, front loader, weights, yard scraper and about 6 large trailers.

On top of this I need to clear a three phase engineering workshop!

Could do a swap for rib related stuff
__________________
whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2013, 15:50   #20
Member
 
Razorbill RIBs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,358
RIBase
Taken a while, but I've found a little belter of a twactor.......

A (McCormick) International 434 (harvester - 43HP)...... 1970, recent tyres all round, no visible fluid leaks excellent tinwork, complete with a loader and rollover bar

All original /unrestored and in cracking working condition..... Recent fluids and heater plugs (they can be a PITA to get going on a cold morning, but then so can I)

Having it dropped off in a few weeks time, just in time for a spring tractor rally

Will post up some Tractor Porn when she arrives.....

One of these..... http://pictures.dealer.com/w/westken...20fa77a04x.jpg
__________________

__________________
Dan Worth
www.razorbillribs.co.uk

Follow us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.