Old 29 January 2007, 16:11   #21

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Go for both, get a commercial Disco :P Not too difficult to manouve once you get used to it. Took me a while before I stopped trying to look through the non-existant rear side windows! I believe they are due to start producing a factory Commercial version of the D3 shortly too, though that's quite possibly going to be a bit on the steep side for what you're after!

As for insurance, I could have actually insured my Disco van cheaper commercially (including private use) than I could for just personal usage, but the drawback was I'd have to pay the full premium in one payment. Was getting decent quotes until I saved myself the hassle of selling my car by spinning it on the A44, hitting an embankment in the process.
Old 29 January 2007, 16:14   #22

Town: Colchester/Clevedon
Boat name: Barracuda
Make: Porters
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
(Having my older sister on the policy as Named Driver brought it down from £2400 to £2200 )

I always insure my mum as a second driver. Insurance costs are estimated via modelling, so including a lower risk person on the policy reduces the overall risk profile and brings the cost. I've always saved at least 10%.