Old 20 June 2003, 11:12   #41

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Hi Rabald,
This little jeep is the best jeep JEEP I've ever owned (the old Range Rover excluded).
Is a tough vehicle. A little bit noicy over 60/65 miles /hour but is a proper jeep so they aught to be.
Shall we start a Fourtrack Owners RIBNet club?? LOLOL just kidding.
Apparetly (I was told by someone in the office just now) it had and has GREAT reviews!!
The only short fault I can come with is small diesel tank.
It takes from empty to full about £35-£38 worth of diesel in it - 40 ltrs - and lasts for 250-270 miles. When I tow the boats long distance at about 65-70 miles/hr constant it will do between 220/240 miles to a tank full.
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2003, 22:35   #42

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Hi Jon. yep we have a CRV. Great as a car, quick and reliable for towing on the road. We tow the caravan (bit heavy when its full of skis wakeboards windsurfers and bags of sails) with it when we go away and the boat goes on another car. But its a waste of time on a beach. I wouldnt trust it to get itself out of soft stuff let alone towing a boat. Reversing up a bit of a hill to park the 'van can leave the clutch smelling like burnt fish for a couple of days! No low range box, iffy auto 4wd, and much less traction on the front wheels than the galaxy ghia we use to tow with, mind you that weighed nearly two tonnes and was best followed closely by a petrol tanker! The CRV is fine as a tow car for our size of boat once its on the road-plenty of go in it as long as you can keep revs up and it pulled the 'van up the side of a mountain in wales last year when we took the wrong turn! If I only slipway launch its no problem but it won't pull a bogged down boat and trailer off a beach.
Old 21 June 2003, 22:51   #43

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
On the opposite extreme, I use my Fiat Fiorino van to tow my 6m rib around Pembrokeshire

Tis only a 1.7 TD, and 2-wheel drive, but it seems to get the boat up the steepest of slipways without too much clutch. Once going at about 3mph, it has enough power to pull itself up pretty steep gradiants in 1st gear. I have so far only got it stuck on a slip once when the trailer got stuck on a rock - that required another car in front with tow rope to add to the pulling power. When the slip is really bad, a JCB loadall comes in quite handy - it takes quite a lot to get that stuck

As for motorway, I won't be taking the boat behind the van on that kind of road. There isn't quite enough 'go' in it, and I reckon I'll be down to 30mph on most slight hills whilst watching the large artics go flying past.....

-Alex