Old 26 November 2008, 00:24   #1

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Toasted connector (Alternator)

I've had a problem with my little Rover 214 where the connector that plugs into the Alternator has overheated and is just about to fall to bits.

I guess the overheating is because of a loose or high resistance connection as the rest of the alternator looks and operates OK.

I have three wires going to the connector. One is the ignition light and the other two join together and go to the + on the starter motor soleniod (altho I can't physically find the join but is shown on the electrical diagram).

As this connector is going to be difficult to find a replacement can I either simply chop the two feed wires and crimp them to a ring terminal to fit on to an electrical post that's on the alternator and is outputting 14.6v at tickover. Or can I simply chop the wires and run a new wire around the engine bay, to connect to the + of the battery, I guess this would have to be fused?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2008, 01:49   #2

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
You could do either of those provided your crimping is good so as not to cause another overheat situation. For info, normally the ignition light cable is used to energise the alternator field coil to produce the magnetic field for the alternator to work. As soon as the alternator produces current, it then provides its own field current which is also applied to the end of that cable at the alternator, hence the current ceases to flow from the ignition supply. There's maybe a series diode in there to prevent the alternator current charging back via that cable and the ignition switch.
Old 26 November 2008, 15:34   #3

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
You can do either, but any auto electrics place will keep the proper connector for the back of the alternator, which may be neater, but no more effective than running a wire from the batt + to the B+ post terminal on the alternator as you suggest usually No fuses in this wire unless a really modern car.
Old 26 November 2008, 18:31   #4

I take it a 32 amp wire or heavier is needed for the run?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 26 November 2008, 20:13   #5

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
I take it a 32 amp wire or heavier is needed for the run?
You're gonna need bigger than that. Find your alternator output and add some on for safety.
Old 28 November 2008, 15:53   #6

I remembered an Auto Electrician I used several years ago and payed him a visit today. He had a plug, however the wires came out in the wrong direction and with the loom so short won't fit

He rang his suppliers and was told that they couldn't supply plugs with the opposite take off

I've since rung around a few Motor Factors since returning home and the concensus is that it is a main dealer part.

There are no main Rover dealers

Any Ideas guys?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 28 November 2008, 16:22   #7

Town: Lee on the Solent
Boat name: Saintlee
Make: Leeway
Engine: Evinrude DI 115
Was that Vic Harrison? He's very good indeed and based around your part of the world (last time I dealt with him he was in Salisbury Terrace, Lee on the Solent). If it wasn't then it may be worth giving him a shout for a second opinion. 02392 552334
Old 28 November 2008, 16:23   #8

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Hightower.

Can you not extend the wires and add the new plug you saw earlier?

I've lots of different cable sizes in my garage if you want to bring it around so we can have a play.

Nasher.
Old 28 November 2008, 17:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
Was that Vic Harrison? He's very good indeed and based around your part of the world (last time I dealt with him he was in Salisbury Terrace, Lee on the Solent). If it wasn't then it may be worth giving him a shout for a second opinion. 02392 552334
Yes it was Vic. Last time I used him he installed a heater matrix

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 28 November 2008, 17:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Hightower.

Can you not extend the wires and add the new plug you saw earlier?

I've lots of different cable sizes in my garage if you want to bring it around so we can have a play.

Nasher.
Thanks Nasher, that's what Vic already suggested. However he hadn't got heavy enough duty wire to extrend the wires. I'll have a look myself over the weekend, so expect a call on Sunday

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 30 December 2008, 15:29   #11

Latest update!

After taking my car down to this Auto Electrician on 3 seperate occations and being let down by said Auto Electrician I decided to wait till the Christmas holidays to effect a repair.

I remember how much I hate working on cars

Anyway, I sourced a connector. The wires came off the other side, so had to extend the wiring loom. Popped into Port Solent Marine Superstore to purchase a 1m length of 50A single core wire and cut this to size and fitted it to new plug.

Great I thought, all I need to do is to strip the wire ends on the loom in the engine compartment. The small ignition light cable was a doddle. The two heavier ones......What a nightmare! Because of the heat the insulation has fused to the cable inside. It's so difficult to remove. I've had to strip out the Alternator to gain access! Now poor light has stopped play and it looks like my fishing trip will be cancelled tomorrow so that I can continue on the repair.

I just wanted to take a sledge hammer to it at one point

Ahhhhhhhhhh!

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 30 December 2008, 15:38   #12

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Possibly best to take the sledgehammer route - its rover after all !

I do feel your pain having spent too long trying to fix dodgy electrics on cars in the past ( in the cold/ dark / wet etc ) . Surely there must be a breakers that you can get one from ? I always used to use the one over Bishops Waltham way - probably gone now !
Old 30 December 2008, 18:06   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
Possibly best to take the sledgehammer route - its rover after all !

I do feel your pain having spent too long trying to fix dodgy electrics on cars in the past ( in the cold/ dark / wet etc ) . Surely there must be a breakers that you can get one from ? I always used to use the one over Bishops Waltham way - probably gone now !
Silver Lake is the only local one now and seeing my car is so old they don't bother to buy these cars anymore.

Besides I'd have had to cut the old connector off anyway and had to remove the alternator as half the melted plastic connector was inside. At least I can clean up the connectors on the Alternator now.

Looks Slow but is Fast