Old 12 December 2006, 12:39   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Speed limit for a 4 cab ?????

Hi

My farther has just come to see me at work and left me Saturday's copy of the Telegraph, in the motoring section I saw this letter is it true

Nissan Navara owner

James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speed-limit.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	23727  
Old 12 December 2006, 12:53   #2

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
Hi

My farther has just come to see me at work and left me Saturday's copy of the Telegraph, in the motoring section I saw this letter is it true

Nissan Navara owner

James
Yup... any van over 2000Kg MGW...
Old 12 December 2006, 12:57   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
And if anyone needs a more definitive reference than Jono, here it is in the highway code: http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.htm

John
Old 12 December 2006, 13:06   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
And if anyone needs a more definitive reference than Jono, here it is in the highway code: http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.htm

John
G'won then "Oh Lanky One".. using the Highway Code, tell me what the speed limit for a Motorhome is.. in fact let's try two examples... a little fellow of..say... 3 tonnes and.. a big fella of say... 11 Tonnes..?

...answers on a post card....
Old 12 December 2006, 13:56   #5

Town: darlington
Boat name: GlennVinny
Make: Leeway 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner135v6/4hp aux
MMSI: 235038455
Tis true. I got a £60 and 3 points for doing 68 through a camera on a duel carriagway. Ours is a lwb transporter t30. Best thing is, my father in law works for durham police, and when he asked the chief of police about this restriction, he knew nowt about it!! As a result, the police have put stickers in their vans. Nobody tells you this when you buy a van though!
Old 12 December 2006, 14:00   #6

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
I think it only refers to goods vehicles. ie those used for business and that have claimed the tax back.
The vehicles tend to be vans but can include 4 x 4s and these are generally identified by having some or all of the rear/side windows filled in.
Need to check the books tonight though.
Old 12 December 2006, 14:58   #7

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Quote:
Tis true. I got a £60 and 3 points for doing 68 through a camera on a duel carriagway. Ours is a lwb transporter t30. Best thing is, my father in law works for durham police, and when he asked the chief of police about this restriction, he knew nowt about it!! As a result, the police have put stickers in their vans. Nobody tells you this when you buy a van though!
If your doing 68 through a camera on a dual carrigeway, how does the camera know your a van and not a vehicle allowed to be doing 70?

Harry
Old 12 December 2006, 15:08   #8
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons0 View Post
If your doing 68 through a camera on a dual carrigeway, how does the camera know your a van and not a vehicle allowed to be doing 70?

Harry

When they look up the reg number it will be tied to a commercial vehicle.
Old 12 December 2006, 15:14   #9

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Jaws
Make: Gemini 4.2
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
MMSI: none
Send a message via MSN to Gray
But don't the cameras only operate if a vehicle is speeding. A speed camera doesn't know what type of vehicle you are. Therefore you could only be done by an officer in a car or operating a portable camera?
Old 12 December 2006, 15:17   #10
ADS

Town: Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray View Post
But don't the cameras only operate if a vehicle is speeding. A speed camera doesn't know what type of vehicle you are. Therefore you could only be done by an officer in a car or operating a portable camera?

Good point that!
Old 12 December 2006, 15:47   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
G'won then "Oh Lanky One".. using the Highway Code, tell me what the speed limit for a Motorhome is.. in fact let's try two examples... a little fellow of..say... 3 tonnes and.. a big fella of say... 11 Tonnes..?
Well, the good old highway code falls a bit short there, so you'd need to consult Section 86 (1) and Schedule 6 Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 to answer your question.

It seems to go by unladen weight rather than the more usual MAM, and for larger motorhomes it also depends on the length. I'll assume for now that you don't have more than 8 seats.

Your "little fellow" has the same limits as a car: 60/70/70 (single carriagway, dual carriageway, motorway) and if it's less than 12 metres long, so does the "big fella". If it's longer than 12 metres then you're down to 50/60/60. If you're towing a trailer then it's 50/60/60 whatever the size.

I have a £5 bet with myself that I know what your next question will be!

John

PS I thought with all the Christmas post it might be best not to bother with the postcard . . .
Old 12 December 2006, 17:35   #12
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
This is bonkers...it means that I can get in a discovery with a MAM of 3500kg and do 70mph, then get into a transit (which has a shedload better brakes!) and can't go past 60...

BTW, I think Navarras are classed as car-derived vans.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2006, 19:30   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post

..and with a MAM of over 2000Kg have the lower speed limit....
Old 12 December 2006, 20:20   #14
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
..and with a MAM of over 2000Kg have the lower speed limit....

Bugger. Good point. However.... Is the MAM on the logbook or DVLA database? If not they can't force you to disclose it.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2006, 21:52   #15

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Speed Limit

Lads you missed the point, It does not matter.
Given that the laser guns can say you are doing 240 mph if they are not calibrated, even if you are in a ford fiesta.
When you bring this trivial matter of Calibration to the attention of the Member in charge, a swift draw and slash in downward movementof the member in charge`s baton across your noggin is suggestive of that the "Matter is over"

Even if the gun is calibrated (and he/she/it is carrying a 9mm browning side arm that lends argument to his position.

Imagine yonder cop places Speed Gun on Road usually in the morning as you thought you could make up the 5 min for the hour you spent in traffic due to two prats who hardly scratched their bumpers refused to "leave the scene"
Here you come at 65 mph when he stops you and says 75 mph. you say you were not and he says look at the camera (which took oriingal shot of this on a Ferrari 3 hours previous, who is to say. You question him/her/it on the topic and said baton enters stage. You call him/her/it pork Chop" and all of a sudden you were doing 500 Mph in the "motor propelled vehicle, your Lordship and oops where did you get that lump in your head.....

Give me a break, Its a police state.... and they have even more laws where they can "form the opinion", Did you notice the more laws they have on their side, the more arrogant they become.....
Old 12 December 2006, 22:33   #16
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
Lads you missed the point, It does not matter.
Given that the laser guns can say you are doing 240 mph if they are not calibrated, even if you are in a ford fiesta.
When you bring this trivial matter of Calibration to the attention of the Member in charge, a swift draw and slash in downward movementof the member in charge`s baton across your noggin is suggestive of that the "Matter is over"

Even if the gun is calibrated (and he/she/it is carrying a 9mm browning side arm that lends argument to his position.

Imagine yonder cop places Speed Gun on Road usually in the morning as you thought you could make up the 5 min for the hour you spent in traffic due to two prats who hardly scratched their bumpers refused to "leave the scene"
Here you come at 65 mph when he stops you and says 75 mph. you say you were not and he says look at the camera (which took oriingal shot of this on a Ferrari 3 hours previous, who is to say. You question him/her/it on the topic and said baton enters stage. You call him/her/it pork Chop" and all of a sudden you were doing 500 Mph in the "motor propelled vehicle, your Lordship and oops where did you get that lump in your head.....

Give me a break, Its a police state.... and they have even more laws where they can "form the opinion", Did you notice the more laws they have on their side, the more arrogant they become.....
A grasp of the english language which would make gArF proud!

A grasp of the law, and the reality of its day to day enforcement in a country you don't actually live in which is even worse.
Old 13 December 2006, 03:51   #17

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
This is bonkers...it means that I can get in a discovery with a MAM of 3500kg and do 70mph, then get into a transit (which has a shedload better brakes!) and can't go past 60...

Why do you say a Transit has better brakes? The Discovery has discs all round - vented as well. Also has wider tyres than a Transit so will stop a lot better!!!
Old 13 December 2006, 06:43   #18

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
so a 5 tonne motorhome with 3 axles and 8.5m length can do 60/70/70 and go in the outside lane? has seatbelts for 7 but seating for around 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Well, the good old highway code falls a bit short there, so you'd need to consult Section 86 (1) and Schedule 6 Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 to answer your question.

It seems to go by unladen weight rather than the more usual MAM, and for larger motorhomes it also depends on the length. I'll assume for now that you don't have more than 8 seats.

Your "little fellow" has the same limits as a car: 60/70/70 (single carriagway, dual carriageway, motorway) and if it's less than 12 metres long, so does the "big fella". If it's longer than 12 metres then you're down to 50/60/60. If you're towing a trailer then it's 50/60/60 whatever the size.

I have a £5 bet with myself that I know what your next question will be!

John

PS I thought with all the Christmas post it might be best not to bother with the postcard . . .
Old 13 December 2006, 07:41   #19
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
Length: 5m +
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons0 View Post

Harry
They can tell.

A mate and I where done for doing 60mph on the A1 (60mph limit) with a fixed camera following BMW that did not set the camera off. But we where in a 11tone camper van towing a car. DVLA had the camper classed as a lorry. And the authorities were looking to do us for being a lorry towing and as a result should have been doing 40mph.
Old 13 December 2006, 08:23   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt View Post
we where in a 11tone camper van towing a car
Was the car on a trailer, or an A-frame? If it wasn't on a trailer you were probably towing it illegally anyway! http://www.ntta.co.uk/faq/default.htm

John