Old 25 March 2010, 08:53   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
speed camera sensors

Has anyone got knowledge if the speed camera sensors are any good. I was sent a nice shiny brochure for a Laser elite XR or XT which allegeably picks up laser guns and can be wired or wireless on your car. It sells as a parking sensor unit so looks like it is OK and cant be classed as illegal, Costs 79-129 presently.
Seems a good idea for sports car as I keep seeing the laser gun units in Hampshire and would like to keep licence clean. (of course I drive within speed limits in restricted areas)
Old 25 March 2010, 08:58   #2

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
The fact that there banned tells me they work.
If you have it programmed for opening a garage door then its not illegal although its still going to show an error code and draw attention to your self.
Old 25 March 2010, 16:56   #3

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
As I understand it if a laser can be detected it's too late and they've got you. RADAR is different however and can be detected earlier. But I guess the answer would to be not to speed in the first place

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2010, 18:12   #4

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
I used a Road Angel with an additional radar and laser sensor in one of my cars - it worked extremely well.

Road Angel uses a map which is downloaded into it from the internet (as part of a subscription) so it's very accurate on roadside cameras. The additional sensor would pick up mobile units (and traffic lights!) very well.
Old 25 March 2010, 18:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
As I understand it if a laser can be detected it's too late and they've got you. RADAR is different however and can be detected earlier. But I guess the answer would to be not to speed in the first place
With the device mentioned the laser does get you but the device blocks it giving an error code on the screen rather than a speed.

A friend just got a speeding ticket for doing 35mph in a 30, his works van has a tracker which logged him doing 29mph at the time, which do you believe?
Old 25 March 2010, 18:44   #6
RIBnet supporter

Interesting comments, chewy you seem to know about the system sending an error report to the device which I like. I have no issue getting tugged to see why as I have an auto garage opener and set the device for parking. The interesting hit on your friend with a tracker would be worth a challenge, I am having mine serviced this week coming so I will ask about what could be downloaded to help me should I make a mistake on the roads.

Dont be fooled by the authorities I got a ticket for a bus lane infringement and when I researched it I found the camera and signs and even the ticket was wrong , the council refused to bend so went to a hearing and I won so any equipment to help must be worth a gamble. I dont condone speeding just feel that as a motorist we are being taxed with more cameras instead of them helping us. Just my view
Old 25 March 2010, 18:50   #7

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
Length: 10m +
MMSI: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilda View Post
Road Angel uses a map which is downloaded into it from the internet (as part of a subscription) so it's very accurate on roadside cameras.
Its only as accurate as Blackspot wish to make it.. Having been zapped whilst travelling around the M25 when they were widening it for the T5 junction, I phoned Blackspot asking them when they checked for new camera's to update their database, 'once a month, or when we can get around to it' was the reply.. If your relying on Road Angel to be upto the minute accurate, stick to the speed limit to be on the safe side.. It also cannot detect mobile speed cameras when they get you from behind..
Old 25 March 2010, 19:11   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Interesting comments, chewy you seem to know about the system sending an error report to the device which I like. I have no issue getting tugged to see why as I have an auto garage opener and set the device for parking. The interesting hit on your friend with a tracker would be worth a challenge, I am having mine serviced this week coming so I will ask about what could be downloaded to help me should I make a mistake on the roads.

Dont be fooled by the authorities I got a ticket for a bus lane infringement and when I researched it I found the camera and signs and even the ticket was wrong , the council refused to bend so went to a hearing and I won so any equipment to help must be worth a gamble. I dont condone speeding just feel that as a motorist we are being taxed with more cameras instead of them helping us. Just my view

Strange thing is my mates partner also got done for doing bang on 35mph on the same stretch of road!

If you like gadgets this is smart too:

http://www.roadhawk.co.uk/roadhawk-RH-1.htm

Had a quick search for the laser blocker your after but couldn't see it on UK sites.
This one is meant to work well:

http://www.naonline.co.uk/other/target-lt-450.php
Old 25 March 2010, 19:17   #9
RIBnet supporter

This is the company who sent me a brochure but price is cheaper- £129 or £99
http://www.roadnetuk.com/site/laserstar_Wireless.php
Old 25 March 2010, 22:00   #10

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Ian

I have used the Laser Star, very good. Beware the special offers though, some of the models at the cheap prices, are the lower detection range models. When you phone to order they will tell you this and offer the top of the range model, which you then feel safer to order.

The principle behind this system is that if you are targeted by a gun, it produces an error message at the gun, you get an alert and if speeding slow down, then once at the right speed, switch the jammer off. The gun then records a legal speed.

I do NOT condone speeding, but got very frustrated at picking up a fine and points for 43mph in a 40 limit, six months later got the same for 54, in a 50 limit. I know I was wrong, but this crude way of ensuring safety on out roads, would not pick up the drunk driving at significantly below the limit but at risk to everyone around!
Old 25 March 2010, 23:26   #11

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post
but got very frustrated at picking up a fine and points for 43mph in a 40 limit, six months later got the same for 54, in a 50 limit.
That should easily be challengeable in a court .. most cameras are set to 10mph over the limit to guarantee a conviction IMO anything less can be argued by a defence the that your speedo is not accurate enough to tell you exactly what speed you are doing as most cars arent , because the law does not require it to be calibrated like a tachograph in the police car ,or LGV, for example..... just my humble opinion or were you in an LGV ?

edit .. give you another example .. you fit larger tyres on your car than what it was built for .. your speedo will be out again
Old 26 March 2010, 00:23   #12

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwozere View Post
Its only as accurate as Blackspot wish to make it.. Having been zapped whilst travelling around the M25 when they were widening it for the T5 junction, I phoned Blackspot asking them when they checked for new camera's to update their database, 'once a month, or when we can get around to it' was the reply.. If your relying on Road Angel to be upto the minute accurate, stick to the speed limit to be on the safe side.. It also cannot detect mobile speed cameras when they get you from behind..
The new system updates to the device via GSM, updates are automatic every few seconds as you drive - so it should be moderately accurate I would have thought. I've used one and it was far better than the portable radar/laser detectors I have. Quite legal too.

I would add that the laser jammers will cause the Police to have a major sense of humour failure - you would need to be very careful fitting these.