Old 02 April 2006, 11:01   #121

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Why should it? Do it all the time when I ride a bike - wrong way down one way streets - you name it - great fun - no number plates!!! As long as it doesn't hurt anyone else what's the prob?

And I will jumpr red lights if they have deliberately taking away the filter arrows to bugger up traffic flow. I am quite capable of looking to the right to see when it's clear!!!
Now you're just trying to wind me up.
Old 02 April 2006, 12:28   #122

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:

And I will jumpr red lights if they have deliberately taking away the filter arrows to bugger up traffic flow. I am quite capable of looking to the right to see when it's clear!!!
Personally I don't like to see comments made like that in jest - even if they are - that is totally out of order - IMHO
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 April 2006, 18:44   #123

Town: Somerset
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
No point laying into younger drivers, there reactions are far quicker than a pensioner, and at least they drive by the book .....
Leave home and get a job now - while you still know everything!

Interesting research reveals that young drivers, with their quick reactions, still crash loads more than older drivers with their, err..., slower reactions. Reactions only make up a small part of driving, and experience, planning and concentration tend to make up for creeping senility...

Interesting thread though. Lots of comments about speed and impact forces which are true, but speed is only one component in crashing (albeit a factor that is likely to significantly contribute to resultant severity). Some nice research from Holland examined risk compensation, and though they couldn't exactly work out the subtleties, it appears that the more secure you feel in your vehicle (air bags, crumple zones superior 4x4 driving position with huge chassis etc.) the more likely that you don't give a toss about being hurt in a collision and the more likely you are to speed. Doesn't seem to apply to motorcycles tho...

Let's not forget that cameras don't save lives whatever the Gov't and the "Safety Partnershits" say. I actually met the guy from TRL who was responsible for the first evaluation of speed cameras (early nineties if memory serves) and his report found that they caused sudden braking and reduced the following distance between vehicles. His report was binned and another was commissioned that sung the praises of Gatsos. Hmmm....

Whatever crap we're told about cameras the truth seems to be that they're generating a significant amount of cash for the exchequer and will therefore continue to be seen as a good idea!
Old 02 April 2006, 18:56   #124
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
Some nice research from Holland examined risk compensation, and though they couldn't exactly work out the subtleties, it appears that the more secure you feel in your vehicle (air bags, crumple zones superior 4x4 driving position with huge chassis etc.) the more likely that you don't give a toss about being hurt in a collision and the more likely you are to speed. Doesn't seem to apply to motorcycles tho...
I haven't read the research so can't criticise it - but is this not a correlation where the bigger the engine, the more likely the vehicle is to have those added safety features. And engine size and speed is the real cause / effect relationship? I know I tend to drive faster in cars which are more comfortable and where the "cabin noise" is quieter, so my perception of the speed is lower.
Old 02 April 2006, 19:02   #125

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
...I know I tend to drive faster in cars which are more comfortable and where the "cabin noise" is quieter, so my perception of the speed is lower.
Ah, but do you kill more people when driving them? I suspect not.
Old 02 April 2006, 19:06   #126
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
Ah, but do you kill more people when driving them? I suspect not.
Fortunately not so far... ...and also not picked up any points either - but I admit that is good luck rather than good judgement.
Old 02 April 2006, 21:35   #127

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee
Personally I don't like to see comments made like that in jest - even if they are - that is totally out of order - IMHO
Right - so you come to a set of traffic lights - inductive loop in road doesn't work - it is late so they are no longer on timed - do you wait there until morning??? Or do you look - make sure there is nobody around and go?
Old 02 April 2006, 21:40   #128
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Right - so you come to a set of traffic lights - inductive loop in road doesn't work - it is late so they are no longer on timed - do you wait there until morning??? Or do you look - make sure there is nobody around and go?
That is a completely different scenario than the one you presented originally.
Old 02 April 2006, 21:54   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
That is a completely different scenario than the one you presented originally.
Maybe but both are technically illegal.

Has anyone ever noticed Police cars turning on their blue lights - jumping a traffic light - then turning them off again the other side?
Old 03 April 2006, 22:13   #130

Town: Rickmansworth
Make: Ocean 6.3
Engine: 200 Mariner
Really wish you hadnt started this thread!! After all these discusions ive just been nicked today!!! 3 points and 60 quid fine oh joy!!!
Old 04 April 2006, 03:06   #131

Fight it - they rely on everyone just coughing up!!!
Old 04 April 2006, 08:36   #132

Town: Rickmansworth
Make: Ocean 6.3
Engine: 200 Mariner
would have done but caught by a gun and pulled over!!! Mind you she did have a cute smile!!! Do they always take your phone number at the side of the road??
Old 04 April 2006, 10:01   #133

Town: Burwash, East Sussex
Make: Ribcraft 6.4 Pro
Engine: Suzuki DF150
Bob!
My missus has got away with it twice in 2 years, but both times it was a rear facing camera.
The first time she said she was on a long journey and four people took it in turns driving.
The second time she said the car was for sale and being test driven (my mate has also used this one and got away with it)
They sent all sorts of threatening letters then gave up!
Forward facing camera may be a different kettle of fish though, you wont be charged to ask for a copy of the photo.
As for me i got 6 points, i dont have the balls to fight it like my missus does! errrrmm!
The bloke sitting at the desk next to me has 15 points on his licence! the judge got fed up with the begging and pleading and gave him one last chance!
Old 04 April 2006, 12:28   #134

Well I still have a clean licence - a combination of a miracle and being bloody minded!!!

Talking of loads of points a bloke at one site we worked on had 22 points on his licence!!! Last time he went before the magistrates he was convinced they would ban him - but they let him get away with it again. He needs a car for his job and the company he worked for kept setting unrealistic targets - the court wrote them a stinking letter instead!!!
Old 04 April 2006, 17:45   #135

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill27
would have done but caught by a gun and pulled over!!! Mind you she did have a cute smile!!! Do they always take your phone number at the side of the road??
I take it you got hers,... might be the only way you'll get to shaft them instead of the other way about
Old 04 April 2006, 19:27   #136

Town: Cornwall
Make: Waveline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5
30mph or 50mph......?

http://media.putfile.com/speed-think
Old 16 April 2006, 21:51   #137

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Comes up

Warning: mysql_connect(): Lost connection to MySQL server during query in /home/mediapu/public_html/config.php on line 14

Notice: MySQL error nr 2013: Lost connection to MySQL server during query in /home/mediapu/public_html/config.php on line 14

Notice: MySQL error nr 1044: Access denied for user: '@localhost' to database 'putfile_putmain2' in /home/mediapu/public_html/config.php on line 15

Warning: mysql_numrows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/mediapu/public_html/index.php on line 209

You must be ready for a pull my son hehe
Old 16 April 2006, 22:57   #138

Town: Somerset
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: 150 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7
Comes up

Warning: mysql_connect(): Lost connection to MySQL server during query in /home/mediapu/public_html/config.php on line 14

Notice: MySQL error nr 2013: Lost connection to MySQL server during query in /home/mediapu/public_html/config.php on line 14

Notice: MySQL error nr 1044: Access denied for user: '@localhost' to database 'putfile_putmain2' in /home/mediapu/public_html/config.php on line 15

Warning: mysql_numrows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/mediapu/public_html/index.php on line 209

You must be ready for a pull my son hehe
Convincing argument...