Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 19 January 2013, 19:14   #31
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister p View Post
Poly, if you want to get going then the idea is to keep going and not stop again to pick up stupid ramps.
Your idea of orange ramps to get you going is silly, almost nonsense.

Every time I've used my snow chains its been to get the car out of an untreated area onto a very nearby road. It would be much less hassle to go back and get the "ramps" than to stop and remove the chains. I can only remember twice in my life driving in this country on the sort of snow where chains were potentially useful for more than a few hundred meters. Both trips passed without incident on standard tyres and some common sense. Given that we get a bit more snow up here I think the chances of most people NEEDING chains down there is relatively low. The possibility that someone needs enough traction to get our a parking space or a few yards down a side street is however much higher.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2013, 04:25   #32
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 364
Those ramps would have been very useful yesterday. Couldn't get out of the parking space thatthecar had been in since day before. Thankfully someone offered to push so I could get on the bit of road that had been cleared. An old sack would have worked equally well.

If you know how to drive in snow and have a gentle right foot, taking traction/stability control off makes a big difference in keeping the momentum going without the power being cut before you can get going. Not her fault, but my wife left the car right at the base of our slope so there was no chance to get momentum up - we couldn't reverse as someone had parked behind. Once you have the momentum, the rest of the hill was easy, even though some of it was still uncleared. So having something to get you going is very useful.

I had a landrover defender once. 4 wheel skid in that is far more scary than in a car. The cab had so much metal around you that even a slow speed sudden stop is going to hurt bad. Think people rely on 4 wheel drive too much and don't drive realising that 4 wheel drive is no better under braking than 2 wheel drive driven properly. The safety of any vehicle is in the level of grip that the 4 tyres offer (dictated by tyres and driving style) not how many wheels are driving. Learned that the hard way in LR by getting into 4 wheel skid on pure ice. Thankfully I didn't hit anything as I overshot the junction.
__________________

__________________
IanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2013, 06:20   #33
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: gloucestershire
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 340
test report for those interested.

vw transporter 2.5 tdi lwb, fwd, lots of weight in the back.

6" of snow on a graded track to get to a untreated country road that the local farmer has ploughed the worst off, but left a compacted layer that froze overnight.

chains easy to get on and off, drove slowly (2nd gear) and it was fantastic, went everywhere I tried (even a steepish hill), and I just wish I got a set years ago.

googleing around shows a specialist snowchain supplier selling what appears to be an identical set for 120 !.
__________________
camelgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2013, 07:27   #34
RIBnet supporter
 
mick's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 90Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,984
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3791316931.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	75712
__________________
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2013, 08:33   #35
Member
 
Anchorhandler's Avatar
 
Country: France
Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanH View Post
Those ramps would have been very useful yesterday. Couldn't get out of the parking space thatthecar had been in since day before. Thankfully someone offered to push so I could get on the bit of road that had been cleared. An old sack would have worked equally well.

If you know how to drive in snow and have a gentle right foot, taking traction/stability control off makes a big difference in keeping the momentum going without the power being cut before you can get going. Not her fault, but my wife left the car right at the base of our slope so there was no chance to get momentum up - we couldn't reverse as someone had parked behind. Once you have the momentum, the rest of the hill was easy, even though some of it was still uncleared. So having something to get you going is very useful.

I had a landrover defender once. 4 wheel skid in that is far more scary than in a car. The cab had so much metal around you that even a slow speed sudden stop is going to hurt bad. Think people rely on 4 wheel drive too much and don't drive realising that 4 wheel drive is no better under braking than 2 wheel drive driven properly. The safety of any vehicle is in the level of grip that the 4 tyres offer (dictated by tyres and driving style) not how many wheels are driving. Learned that the hard way in LR by getting into 4 wheel skid on pure ice. Thankfully I didn't hit anything as I overshot the junction.
Its a good point... Many people are lulled into a false sense of security thinking that all four wheels of their 4x4 will be driving when in most cases its actually only one wheel at the front and one at the rear doing any work.... Its only the people who understand about about diff locking who fully utilise the potential of their four wheel drive ( and even then not all 4x4's will drive ALL wheels unless they can independently lock the front and rear axles)

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
__________________
C'est pas l'homme qui prend la mer, c'est la mer qui prend l'homme....
Anchorhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2013, 14:03   #36
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,013
Lidl shit

Dont bother. they are a complete waste of time. They worked ok for the first trip out then on the way back they disintegrated on both sides. So went and swapped them, same again. All at low speed as well.

Complete fucking waste of time and could be considered quite dangerous.

It just confirms what I always thought LIDL and all their products are complete and utter shit.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Chris Stevens

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2013, 14:11   #37
RIBnet supporter
 
bedajim's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cambs/Northants
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Dont bother. they are a complete waste of time. They worked ok for the first trip out then on the way back they disintegrated on both sides. So went and swapped them, same again. All at low speed as well.

Complete fucking waste of time and could be considered quite dangerous.

It just confirms what I always thought LIDL and all their products are complete and utter shit.
Just get an old land rover or jap 4x4
Limited mileage insurance etc and use it as a work truck for garden crap or house rubbish, going to the builders merchant
And for the two snowy days of the year
__________________
bedajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2013, 14:12   #38
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
Just get an old land rover or jap 4x4
Limited mileage insurance etc and use it as a work truck for garden crap or house rubbish, going to the builders merchant
And for the two snowy days of the year
Indeed.. !
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Chris Stevens

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2013, 15:21   #39
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: gloucestershire
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 340
been using my chains today and no problems, time will tell no doubt.......
__________________
camelgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2013, 15:31   #40
DGR
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 827
LR Disco 2 in Wales - Snow socks. Brilliant!!
__________________

__________________
DGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.