Old 04 December 2007, 07:23   #1

Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Second Land rover problem of the day: b*****d stater motor

I mentioned in the other thread that "I've just got to get it started now" this is because yesterday something went wrong with it. I diagnosed the problem as a knanckered starter motor, which an RAC man has just confirmed.

I've just ordered a used motor from a scrappy I know quite well back in Norfolk, which should be here tomorrow morning.

Does anyone know of an online recourse with info relating to the changing of a starter motor on a 96 300tdi (auto) discovery?

It looks like quite a straight forward sort of job. Is there anything specific (apart from disconnecting the battery) that I need to worry about?

Old 04 December 2007, 07:36   #2

Town: Dartmouth
Length: 6m +
Take a look at landrovernet, they're pretty helpful and you may even find a guide:

www.landrovernet.com

Old 04 December 2007, 08:05   #3
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cambs/Northants
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
I mentioned in the other thread that "I've just got to get it started now" this is because yesterday something went wrong with it. I diagnosed the problem as a knanckered starter motor, which an RAC man has just confirmed.

I've just ordered a used motor from a scrappy I know quite well back in Norfolk, which should be here tomorrow morning.

Does anyone know of an online recourse with info relating to the changing of a starter motor on a 96 300tdi (auto) discovery?

It looks like quite a straight forward sort of job. Is there anything specific (apart from disconnecting the battery) that I need to worry about?
Have it tested under load before you fit it(as you've not seen it run), local rewind/motor factors should be able to do that for a small fee, because fitting a knackered one will really p----s you off
Old 04 December 2007, 09:59   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cambs/Northants
Length: no boat
Thinking about it just get a recon exchange unit
Old 04 December 2007, 10:52   #5

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
join www.lr4x4.com I think the answer is probably in our tech archive but if it isn't then if you post a question somebody will answer it

edited to add yes it is - http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?sh...0&#entry174718

check out the tech archive index http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=4731 for everything else you might ever need to know

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 December 2007, 11:00   #6

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Was the starter motor really knackered??? Often it's just the solenoid which can be cleaned or replaced.
Old 04 December 2007, 11:22   #7

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Take off the pipes from the air filter to turbo as much as you need to gain access. Mine has a heat shield between the manifold and the starter which is fiddly to remove. Remove the main electrical cable - IT IS LIVE, DO NOT GROUND IT or the spanner you are using to slacken the nut. Tape it to protect it.
I suppose it's best to disconnect the battery first but I normally live dangerously. Undo the bolts holding the starter; remove the top one last and catch the motor as it comes away. It's a heavy hold for just one hand, take care.

I'm with codders. Don't discard the old one, it's likely repairable.

I've found connecting a second earth strap directly from the battery to the engine improves the starter performance noticeably. I put mine from the battery negative to a convenient bolt on the air con compressor. It's a nice short jump.
Old 04 December 2007, 12:38   #8

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Likewise check your alternator circuit, if the connections are a bit shoddy it will look as though you'll need one of those too.

Did my starter on my LR110 CSW a while back; pattern part 80, main dealer 280 (exchange)
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 December 2007, 12:39   #9

I got there in the end! Having spent an hour disconnecting hoses etc to get to the motor only to find I couldn't get it off because the bolts were seized, I decided to go and buy a new air filter. What a good idea that was. At the parts shop they had a load of cans of freeze spray on the counter. I bought one of these and tried a squirt on each of the three bolts holding the motor on. It worked a treat.

Having got the motor out, it is defiantly knackered. The bearings around the top end of it have disappeared along with what I imagine would have been a spring/several springs. Hopefully the replacement motor will arrive tomorrow morning and it'll be back on the road again!

PS. That website above was a great source of help.
Old 07 December 2007, 08:09   #10

Latest update:
The starter motor finally arrived today. I put it in and all was fine. Turned the key and it started. Wonderful. Let it idle for a few minutes while I put my tools away and it sounded fine. Got in and drove 1/2 mile to the petrol station. Put some fuel in. Left the petrol station, drive 300 yards up the road to my lockup. Got back in the car 5 minutes later and turned the key. The engine started, and then increased in revs. I didn't like the sound of that so quickly turned it off. Wait a moment then tried again. Same thing. I tried about 5 times, then it started almost normally; it started, then revved for a split second then went back to normal idle speed. I set off very slowly fearing that it might suddenly start revving again whilst in gear. Sure enough a minute later it did. I slammed on the brakes, and then it stalled. Tried to re start it (bearing in mind I'm sitting in the middle of the road) and it wouldn't. Tried again, lots of revs, tried again, started fine. This happened another couple of times on the way home. Got home and had another look under the bonnet around where I had been working to make sure I hadn't unplugged anything or damaged anything. All looks fine. I checked the throttle cable linkage and all seemed OK. I tried starting it again, this time it revved up to about 3500rpm which is where it stayed.

Any ideas as to what it could be?

I have done the following since it ran fine (which was Monday afternoon):
-Removed the old starter motor, which involved removing several hoses for access. Then fitted replacement motor and re-connected everything.
-Fitted a blanking plate to the EGR valve, and removed the pipe that connects the valve to the actuator.
-Changed the air filter.

PS: I also get the check engine light on now as well.