Old 19 October 2009, 09:32   #1

Town: Portland, Dorset
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Random Peugeot question

I'm afraid this has absolutely nothing to do with boats, the only connection really being the more money I have to spend on the car the less I can spend on the boat.... and there are some really knowledgeable people on here so thought its worth a go !

I've got a Peugeot 306 HDi which won't start. It did start first thing, glow plug light came on, all good - stopped after about 10 seconds and now won't start again. The battery isn't flat as all the lights will still come on. I'm wondering whether to investigate getting a new fuel filter, as it doesn't look that hard to change, or to accept that there are probably a million things it could be and just pay a nice man lots of money to come and fix it ?

Any suggestions welcome really, I'm just waiting for an expensive man to call back. There's nothing obviously fallen off and it's got the right fuel in it, I'm not really sure if I should try poking around anywhere in particular.
Old 19 October 2009, 09:38   #2

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Park it a mile away and get the RAC to come out and fix it.
My Land Rover is getting harder to start now its cold but it doesn't usually need heater plugs.
Sorry not much help.
Old 19 October 2009, 09:43   #3

I did wonder if it was possible to push it half a mile so it's covered by the AA ! I got away with not telling them I'd moved for quite a while, so I was always more than 1/2 mile from my old address, but that doesn't work anymore.
Old 19 October 2009, 11:42   #4

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
I think you are on the right tracks with fuel.

Does it have a water trap at the bottom of the filter?

Nasher
Old 19 October 2009, 11:49   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
And how's the air filter looking ?
Old 19 October 2009, 14:23   #6

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaz View Post
I'm afraid this has absolutely nothing to do with boats, the only connection really being the more money I have to spend on the car the less I can spend on the boat.... and there are some really knowledgeable people on here so thought its worth a go !

I've got a Peugeot 306 HDi which won't start. It did start first thing, glow plug light came on, all good - stopped after about 10 seconds and now won't start again. The battery isn't flat as all the lights will still come on. I'm wondering whether to investigate getting a new fuel filter, as it doesn't look that hard to change, or to accept that there are probably a million things it could be and just pay a nice man lots of money to come and fix it ?

Any suggestions welcome really, I'm just waiting for an expensive man to call back. There's nothing obviously fallen off and it's got the right fuel in it, I'm not really sure if I should try poking around anywhere in particular.
Check your timing belt.
Old 19 October 2009, 14:47   #7
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
What age Pug is it? Does it have the keypad immobilizer sitting underneath the centre console of the dash? I know a few people who've had a problem with the immobilizer on them but I'm sure they still try and trun over but wont actually start.
Old 19 October 2009, 15:17   #8

Wow, loads of tips - knew it was worth mentioning !

I was wrong though, it was the low pressure fuel pump wiring, eventually traced to a faulty inertia cut-off switch. He tried the switch earlier in the proceedings so I think it was actually broken rather than just randomly switched off.

£80 for 3 hours, including getting here, which doesn't seem too bad. Guess I can still afford a couple of bits for the boat this year !
Old 19 October 2009, 15:21   #9
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaz View Post
Wow, loads of tips - knew it was worth mentioning !

I was wrong though, it was the low pressure fuel pump wiring, eventually traced to a faulty inertia cut-off switch. He tried the switch earlier in the proceedings so I think it was actually broken rather than just randomly switched off.

£80 for 3 hours, including getting here, which doesn't seem too bad. Guess I can still afford a couple of bits for the boat this year !
Glad you got it sorted
Old 23 November 2009, 10:09   #10

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
I was a bit intrigued to read that you've got an AA breakdown policy that doesn't cover you for home start. Was that £80 cheaper than a policy with home start?

Here's an idea that might save you a fair few £££ in the future:

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/road...Source=MSSEGOO

You can probably find similar stuff on Martin Lewis's moneysavingexpert site.

My UK only policy with roadside+recovery+homestart costs about £48 a year.

EDIT: I had a look on Martin Lewis's site and there's a cracking bit of advice - buy RAC cover using Tesco Clubcard points and it's very cheap indeed! I need to get up to speed on this clubcard stuff - I swiped my clubcard in the self-checkout till at Sainsbury's a couple of weeks ago and it locked the till out!!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote