Old 12 February 2007, 10:44   #31

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
We would get around a lot quicker if someone undid the deliberate mess Lanbour have created. There is a deliberate policy of messing up traffic flow to FORCE people to use pubic transport!!!

Our roads are getting busier - what has Labour done? Made roads narrower - closed off many roads - introduced speed humps and extra traffic lights.

You used to be able to turn left at most traffic lights as long as the coast was clear - they have closed off most of these left filters. London alone has introduced an EXTRA 14,000 traffic lights. And what about those "traffic calming measures" the ones where they put islands and other obstructions in the road?

Not to mention all the new bus lanes with no traffic in them and the closed off city centres etc etc.

And most people just sit there in traffic jams and say - "ah it's because of all the extra traffic" - if only they realised!!!

Old 12 February 2007, 13:13   #32

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 10hp Yam / 150hp opt
RIBase
Congestion - so what?

I don't see what the "problem" is with congestion that the government keep banging on about.

Surely it's self regulating - if a journey takes too long at a particular time of day we are able to choose to modify when we make this journey, if at all.
We can make the choice to move closer to where we work if the traffic is a pain.

All road pricing will acheive is to enable those with the money to travel where and when they want, with the rest of us priced out of peak times and peak routes.

Old 12 February 2007, 14:41   #33

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
We would get around a lot quicker if someone undid the deliberate mess Lanbour have created. There is a deliberate policy of messing up traffic flow to FORCE people to use pubic transport!!!

Our roads are getting busier - what has Labour done? Made roads narrower - closed off many roads - introduced speed humps and extra traffic lights.

You used to be able to turn left at most traffic lights as long as the coast was clear - they have closed off most of these left filters. London alone has introduced an EXTRA 14,000 traffic lights. And what about those "traffic calming measures" the ones where they put islands and other obstructions in the road?

Not to mention all the new bus lanes with no traffic in them and the closed off city centres etc etc.

And most people just sit there in traffic jams and say - "ah it's because of all the extra traffic" - if only they realised!!!

Codders I think you should put yourself up as a future 'Roads Minister'. I would vote for you !!
Old 12 February 2007, 15:06   #34

Town: Portsmouth
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha HPDI 200
Send a message via MSN to thorper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider View Post
I don't see what the "problem" is with congestion that the government keep banging on about.

Surely it's self regulating - if a journey takes too long at a particular time of day we are able to choose to modify when we make this journey, if at all.
We can make the choice to move closer to where we work if the traffic is a pain.

All road pricing will acheive is to enable those with the money to travel where and when they want, with the rest of us priced out of peak times and peak routes.
The problem is that people are prepared to wait in traffic. When you actually put a financial value on it that can be felt then people actively make change for the better.
thorper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2007, 15:10   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Codders I think you should put yourself up as a future 'Roads Minister'. I would vote for you !!
Nah not me - Clarkson instead - our views are so similar it's scary!!!
Old 12 February 2007, 15:11   #36
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
I'll vote for Thorper!

John
Old 12 February 2007, 15:20   #37

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I'll vote for Thorper!

John
I could buy in to the Road Charging thing if we were told we would get a rebate elsewhere. Then I could believe it would be a means of influencing traffic use and not just another means of raising tax.
Old 12 February 2007, 15:27   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I'll vote for Thorper!
Thanks JK!!!
Old 12 February 2007, 15:31   #39

The problem with road taxing is that it can be so unfair. What happens if the only job you can find is 120 miles away?

I had a job for a while that involved me driving 2,000 miles a week - not from choice but beggars can't be choosers. ANY form of road pricing would have killed it.

By bringing in road pricing it means people can only look for work in a very limited area.
Old 12 February 2007, 15:56   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
By bringing in road pricing it means people can only look for work in a very limited area.
Not really true - people will have to think about the time and the way you go to work, and employers will have to take it into consideration. If the scheme is roughly revenue neutral, it will not cost you that much more. Ultimately if people really need money, they naturally find the most effective way to make it.