Old 29 August 2010, 16:40   #1

Town: Stockholm
Make: KR7
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 150 H.O
Passat 2,0 Tdi 4-motion, any good for towing??

I own a Audi A4 Quattro 1,8t today, and would like to have a diesel car soon. And wonder if the passat with the 4-motion system is any good for towing a rib??
I will drive cheaper with a passat 2,0 tdi 4-motion when i use it daily, if i compare to a Audi 2,0tdi Quattro.
Year -08 to -09
Old 11 September 2010, 08:26   #2

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
My old Audi A3 1.9tdi has a 1500kg towing limit. I think the manual version is slightly higher, something like 1550kg. It used to tow my old 5.8m rib fine. I would imagine the 2.0 tdi would have a slightly higher towing capacity, so it will just boil down to your boat weight. My new A3 which has the 2.0 TFSI petrol engine has a 1800kg towing capacity and when towing my old boat, I hardly knew anything was attached. It was much better than the Tdi, but it does have twice the horsepower. Both are front wheel drive. I would think the A4 quattro is a heavy car for the 1.8t. The 2.0tdi would be a better match, but the 3.0tdi would be even better
Old 14 September 2010, 19:56   #3

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I had a 1.9TDI A6 until last year. Was fine towing on the flat (towed a 7m Delta with it once) but it really didn't get on with slipways. Burnt the clutch out pretty quick.
Old 14 September 2010, 20:04   #4

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
I had a passat V6 tdi which was 2 wheel drive, a great towing car and could handle most slips.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2010, 20:13   #5

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
I had a 1.9TDI A6 until last year. Was fine towing on the flat (towed a 7m Delta with it once) but it really didn't get on with slipways. Burnt the clutch out pretty quick.
Close to burning mine out on the slip at Mixtow ( Nr Fowey) and that was recovering a Ribcraft 4.8m. The clutch is the weak point on the 1.9 tdi.
Old 20 September 2010, 17:03   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Had no problems with my 1.9tdi passat. Only a 4.8m rib though...
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2010, 18:29   #7

Thanks,

I will testdrive a Audi A3 tdi 170hp quattro tomorrow and a Passat 140 hp 4-motion...
The perfect car should be a A4 3,0 Tdi Quattro, but i want "little" economy also...

And also... 4wd is good/fun when you live in sweden wintertime
Old 20 September 2010, 18:56   #8

Boat name: Osprey & Ring
Make: Osprey & Ring
Length: 9m +
Engine: Plenty
I have a A4 3,0tdi for sale if you are interested.
Old 20 September 2010, 19:55   #9

Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Automatic works well with 4wd on a slipway.

I've got an XC70 diesel auto that tows my 6.5m just fine. Bit bigger than a Passat but same sort of thing - no low ratio gearbox and part time 4wd (haldex?)
Old 22 November 2010, 20:51   #10

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
VWs 4-motion system is not the same as Audi's quattro system. The Audi S3, A3 quattro and TT use a Haldex system (same as VWs 4-Motion). Basically it's 2-wheel drive when on the straight. Any loss of traction and the haldex unit engages the rear wheels. The quattro system on the other hand is permanent four wheel drive. More details here. http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=1986343

I've got a 2001 A4 (B5 model) 2.5 TDi avant quattro sport. The AKN V6 engine generates 153bhp. This is more than ample for pulling the RIBcraft 4.8m. It hauls like a locomotive, due to over 300Nm of torque available on tap, most of which can be utilised from a standing-start to 3,500rpm from the 6-speed box. The later A4 2.5 TDi models came with 180bhp and if chipped could be taken to over 220bhp, although I've heard a few horror stories about them running rough.

The VW Passat 4-Motion is a very nice car. Probably closer to an A6 in size. Roomier than the A4 for starters, (especially for rear seat passengers) and with a load bay that would put a transit to shame. Uses PD engine technology (130bhp), for cars up to 2005. Newer models with 2.0 litres gained another 10bhp. Personally I'd steer clear of petrol versions unless you like garage forecourts!
Old 23 November 2010, 20:32   #11
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
DO NOT PUT BIO DIESEL into the car.

It will ruin it.......and be careful, most diesel includes a portion of bio diesel which will still ruin it.

This is particularly true for the PD or "Pumpe Duse" engines the more recent common rail ones are supposed to be OK.

Chris
Old 03 December 2010, 10:30   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Personally I'd steer clear of petrol versions unless you like garage forecourts!
That's very true, but then the fun you can have between the petrol stations with a petrol turbo isn't to be missed IMV
Old 06 December 2010, 18:59   #13

Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
VWs 4-motion system is not the same as Audi's quattro system. The Audi S3, A3 quattro and TT use a Haldex system (same as VWs 4-Motion). Basically it's 2-wheel drive when on the straight. Any loss of traction and the haldex unit engages the rear wheels. The quattro system on the other hand is permanent four wheel drive. More details here. http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=1986343

I've got a 2001 A4 (B5 model) 2.5 TDi avant quattro sport. The AKN V6 engine generates 153bhp. This is more than ample for pulling the RIBcraft 4.8m. It hauls like a locomotive, due to over 300Nm of torque available on tap, most of which can be utilised from a standing-start to 3,500rpm from the 6-speed box. The later A4 2.5 TDi models came with 180bhp and if chipped could be taken to over 220bhp, although I've heard a few horror stories about them running rough.

The VW Passat 4-Motion is a very nice car. Probably closer to an A6 in size. Roomier than the A4 for starters, (especially for rear seat passengers) and with a load bay that would put a transit to shame. Uses PD engine technology (130bhp), for cars up to 2005. Newer models with 2.0 litres gained another 10bhp. Personally I'd steer clear of petrol versions unless you like garage forecourts!
It depends on which way round the engine is - transverse engined cars have the Haldex system. Longitudinal engined cars have the Torsen centre diff permanent 4WD.

Don't know which way round the engines are in the Passat - but would suspect the diesels will be the same as the A4?

Plenty of fun to be had in a petrol A4. Especially if it's got a turbo. Or two
Old 23 December 2010, 18:38   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
DO NOT PUT BIO DIESEL into the car.

It will ruin it.......and be careful, most diesel includes a portion of bio diesel which will still ruin it.
How?

Any more info?
Old 23 December 2010, 19:28   #15

A Haldex with Elsd is better than older Haldex, i know saab have it atleast.

Electronic something To give better grip on rearwheels...
Old 23 December 2010, 21:43   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm View Post
How?

Any more info?
I believe there is a lack of lubricity in bio-diesel which is a problem when starting an engine from cold. It also can get past piston rings and start to polymerise the engine oil. There is also something to do with some rubber o-rings drying out. This is all web-info rather than personal experience I hasten to add. Some of the more advanced bio-diesel systems/conversions use a twin tank to allow the warm up cycle to be run on normal derv.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2010, 09:55   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
I believe there is a lack of lubricity in bio-diesel which is a problem when starting an engine from cold. It also can get past piston rings and start to polymerise the engine oil. There is also something to do with some rubber o-rings drying out. This is all web-info rather than personal experience I hasten to add. Some of the more advanced bio-diesel systems/conversions use a twin tank to allow the warm up cycle to be run on normal derv.
Just wondered as that's all we use on our works fleet.....
Will dig a little deeper
Old 27 December 2010, 09:58   #18

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm View Post
Just wondered as that's all we use on our works fleet.....
Will dig a little deeper
As far as I know diesel has 5% bio-diesel in it anyway. But I know PD engines can't run on pure bio-diesel, although some older injection pump diesels could (Audi 80TDi 1Z engine) for example would happily run on the stuff.
Old 27 December 2010, 10:19   #19

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
I mix 2 stroke oil in with my diesel at about 200:1 never done any harm and keeps everything lubircated nicely, engine runs a bit quieter too.
Have done this on my A3 tdi, 200tdi Disco and my brother runs it in his 300tdi Disco.