Old 05 December 2010, 11:53   #21

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
If we do not have a 4x4 available to launch the SR4, the kids hook it on the back of a pushbike.
Old 05 December 2010, 16:12   #22

Town: Ripon
Make: Avon
Engine: 55hp
Cheers Polwart, tbh my 75 (estate) Launched and recovered a Trailer sailer the other month prob 3x heavier than the Rib, but it did burn the clutch quite a lot! But i did recover it quicker than a Guy with a Disco 3 (who insisted on telling me his car/boat Combination was over a £100,000!) infact he had to have 3 bites at it, no fault of the car or boat, just the operator!

Lol at Mollers, What Push bike would you suggest? Racing bike? Mountain bike ? or one with stabilisers? I prefer the Raliegh Grifter myself but they seem to of stopped making them ?
Old 05 December 2010, 16:47   #23

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Pashley trike
Old 06 December 2010, 19:13   #24

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Used my 205GTI for towing the first SR4m I had. It was fine on the shallow slip we have in Hamble.

Use a Volvo XC70 now for the Scorpion. Diesel Auto. Figured that the torque converter could do the job of a low ratio box if treated gently.

If you want a Freelander and it seems that the feedback is that clutches are weak - think about an auto.
Old 07 December 2010, 07:02   #25

i think i will give the Rover a crack at the whitby slip again, but this time with the searider see how it behaves, as its done real well in the snow and im starting to like it after 4 months of owning it.
Acording to the log book it weighs 2.2 tonne?? and thats without me in it lol
I have to pick the boat up this week from Portsmouth unfortunatly i will be towing it back if only it was summer!!
i am hoping to have a quick go on the local river to test the engine and the car/boat /slipway so maybe by sunday i will of had a play
Old 07 December 2010, 07:15   #26

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Let me know when your down Whitby, I'll have a run down if I'm about.
Old 07 December 2010, 15:24   #27

yer nice one i definitely will, but been a bit of a girl it will probably be from March onwards.
Old 07 December 2010, 15:26   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeripon View Post
yer nice one i definitely will, but been a bit of a girl it will probably be from March onwards.
Tart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Pashley trike
Crap on corners though!
Old 07 December 2010, 16:01   #29

lol, to be honest if the Sea is calm and im off work (i work one month of weekends and one month off) then what the hell, i just never been boating in Winter! But yer lets do it when the Sea is right tho
Old 07 December 2010, 16:04   #30

Just get wrapped up well. We do get some really nice flat winter days!
Old 07 December 2010, 16:10   #31

well your the man to know as your near the coast so yes im up for it once i have got boat home (collect from Portsmouth thurs) and tested the engine a few times on River so should be ready to go from Feb my next weekends off unless you fancy a mid week some time as can do them also.
Old 09 December 2010, 20:20   #32

got the boat today and tbh i could of towed it behind a push bike! its very light so no your all correct i dont need a 4x4, although that dont mean i dont WANT one lol
Old 10 January 2012, 22:50   #33

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Engine: 30T/40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
If you can't drag an SR4 up it with a 2WD car, then it's not fit to be called a slipway..................(or you need driving lessons)
Fully agreed......SR4 should be in and out with any motor.
However, if the slip has any width then attack the incline at an angle until your clutch is fully in. This reduces the slip angle to get motion. Then you need commitment to run up the slip to a clear flat.
2WD is ample, angle of initial tow helps a ton hence the first few yards at an angle to the slip.
Few bags of sand on a slippery slip under your drive wheels work a treat, in an emergency.......could be your ballast?
Tricky but useful excercise if planned properly:
once your boat is fixed on the trailer........back into water gently on full lock to reduce the trailer weight (only recommended if traction to driving wheels is guaranteed esp useful technique for FWD, and make sure your boat engine isn't dragging in the water by lifting it) and incident slip angle.
Staighten your steering to drive across the slip as you pick up the drive (with your lightenend load and less incline).
Once you have traction it's home and dry but make sure that you don't need to stop at the top until you get to a flatter area for the trailer to be on, not just the car.
This is all "when it all goes wrong" stuff but works a treat.
Good to know and very useable, also doesn't look like a panic attempt if you do it with forethought.........ie when "chip and ice-cream eating well wishing onlookers" wish for a YouTube entry are waiting for a spectacle.
Old 10 January 2012, 23:14   #34

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Engine: 30T/40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeripon View Post
erm well i usually take my boats to whitby and the slip can be steep depending on the tide, but if you can cope with a 5mtr im sure it will suite me just fine?
is yours manual or Auto? i just dont know if i can go the auto route just yet? im still in my 30s and it just seems wrong to drive an auto! (sorry guys)
Are you sure your teenage years will be relived in a 75 or Freelander?
With the clutch problems go with the auto FreeLander.....much better in a car with no lo ratio if you would like to "reproduce" lo ratio to any extent.

I believe the TD4 FL has a lock up at 50 mph so fluid power loss is irrelevant on a motorway sprint. The manual BMW box (as with all BMW's) is not the stuff of teenage dreams anyway. If you have female company the you'll be happier with the auto box.

The TD4 FL1 is German assembled. If you get a good 3 door then you have a good car, just get some properly sized tyres with 2 terrain tread. The standard size is too small as far as overall diameter is concerned. Larger sidewalls suit the car better, fill the arches and suit your car use more. And the speedo is actually set up to accurately read for these. Kumho do a fantastic tyre for 15 inch rims as an AT rubber. Will give you slipway grip too.

Also "CHIPS EXPRESS" do a superb remap for the TD4.

Hope this helps dude