Old 31 October 2012, 18:27   #41

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
We just had a gearbox fail on BMW X5 which was under one of these warranty insurance scams/schemes. Despite it genuinely being a sudden failure with no warning signs or prior issues they refused to pay out, firstly due to what they deemed wear rather than failure, then when that was proven wrong they refused on the grounds that the car wasn't fully serviced within 14 days of taking the policy out - even though it was under full main dealer service history and had just been fully MOT & serviced 2 weeks before the breakdown - to keep in line with the manufacturer timeline

Waste of money, time and energy. AVOID
Old 31 October 2012, 19:23   #42

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Crazy system when dealers/manufacturers wriggle out of their obligations on what you would consider a guarantee on what are effectively new items !!!
A lot of it's down to the individual who initially deals with your claim, getting them on your side is half the battle!!
Consumer rights are sadly a fantasy unless you have very deep pockets!
Old 31 October 2012, 19:36   #43

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
[QUOTE="Razorbill RIBs"]Slight threadd-drift, but sort of on topic..... One for John really....how /are warranties affected if the vehicle is used 'off road' (is slipway is classed as off-road)?

I think I remember reading a thread on here a few years ago re a RR Sport and bent chassis(?) which LR refused to pay out on as he'd used it off road lny aunching a boat on a slip.....or similar....

You would have to say that's not fit for purpose
Old 31 October 2012, 21:29   #44

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
When the MOD bought the then new Wolf Defenders in the 90's, they asked for warranty on them and were told they could have warranty but it would be void if used off road...
Old 31 October 2012, 22:29   #45

http://www.jamesbondlifestyle.com/ne...d-skyfall-sale
Old 31 October 2012, 23:52   #46

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokraider View Post
When the MOD bought the then new Wolf Defenders in the 90's, they asked for warranty on them and were told they could have warranty but it would be void if used off road...
And at some stage this is funny? They also offer a corrosion warranty as long as the bugger hasn't started rusting. And what about their breakdown cover.......only valid if the vehicle was moving when it broke down. And one other (but I have at least a hundred others ), "This car spends it's time off road", yes it does........on a four post ramp being fixed under warranty.
All the time.............stay away.
Old 01 November 2012, 08:42   #47

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
I'm not going to pretend that every warranty scheme is perfect, there are clear examples of things not working out above, however what you don't hear about is when things do work out! The scheme we use was recently recommended by "The Telegraph" and the vehicle has a comprehensive check before it leaves us. Before choosing this scheme we worked hard at finding one that wasn't a waste of time and we found a few!

As fas as I know slipways aren't off road but I doubt salt water immersion would be covered - that's an insurance job!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 November 2012, 16:15   #48

Town: Dun Laoghaire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Go for the merc of you want comfort. The build quality of mercs has rocketed, back to the real old days I quality. It's a discerning choice with real class. BMW if you want to drive like a car and look good. Though if you're off roading or going in the desert then fine, a wallowy Toyota as per UN. Friends with D4s love them, but both they and RR sports seem to always get electrical problems and are in and out of dealers once a few years old.

I am not sure about the build quality of Mercs.. But the GL is very nice drive though. Comfortable, good handling, good viz and very car like to drive.
I drove a Landcruiser VX Amazon (not the new model) recently handles like a truck...it wallows around corners and under braking it seems unsure.
I also drove a Landcruiser 3L for a long spin towing which was like driving a heavy commercial in comparison to the Merc Ml that I
currently drive.
Old 01 November 2012, 17:00   #49

We change the Land Cruiser suspension and can make them fairly nimble to drive considering its size. The hydraulic version that can raise and lower itself can be troublesome. Some of the early 100 series models used to have a problem with the rear ride sensors and it would start humping its ass up and down when stationary, not dissimilar to dog on your leg. when we prep these for overland stuff, we bin all the hydraulics and convert it back to good quality springs, torsion bars and shocks. Keep it simple.
Problem that the big 4x4' SUV's have is that everything is a compromise, it depends where the manufacturers decide to do it. The Land cruiser had always traditionally been the sort of vehicle you could jump in and drive round the world with virtually no preparation. The original Range Rovers could do the same. However as they became a fashion icon, the manufacturers have tried to make them more car like and the abilities and toughness have been left behind. In my opinion, the last comfortable proper 4x4 was the mid 90's 80 series Land Cruiser. 4.2 turbo diesel, capable of 100+ MPH on road, reasonable handling and will still go most places off road. I regret selling mine, it was the best car I have owned.
Old 01 November 2012, 17:16   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokraider
We change the Land Cruiser suspension and can make them fairly nimble to drive considering its size. The hydraulic version that can raise and lower itself can be troublesome. Some of the early 100 series models used to have a problem with the rear ride sensors and it would start humping its ass up and down when stationary, not dissimilar to dog on your leg. when we prep these for overland stuff, we bin all the hydraulics and convert it back to good quality springs, torsion bars and shocks. Keep it simple.
Problem that the big 4x4' SUV's have is that everything is a compromise, it depends where the manufacturers decide to do it. The Land cruiser had always traditionally been the sort of vehicle you could jump in and drive round the world with virtually no preparation. The original Range Rovers could do the same. However as they became a fashion icon, the manufacturers have tried to make them more car like and the abilities and toughness have been left behind. In my opinion, the last comfortable proper 4x4 was the mid 90's 80 series Land Cruiser. 4.2 turbo diesel, capable of 100+ MPH on road, reasonable handling and will still go most places off road. I regret selling mine, it was the best car I have owned.
Got to agree with you there fella gone are the days when you could go across Africa and mend your truck with a screwdriver and a hammer and a pair of pliers
Old 01 November 2012, 19:53   #51

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
LAND CRUISER AMAZON WITHOUT DOUBT

25 years in the motor trade led to an alergy to anything landrover

I currently own a merc ml & its the bigest pile of s--- Ive ever owned think its the germans revenge for losing the war
previous car was a landcruiser amazon of 1998 did 160k miles never missed a beat sold it & the guy who bought it still has it over 200k miles now and still going strong wish id kept it!
Old 01 November 2012, 20:21   #52

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Also got an ML, tows well, comfy,quiet,@25 mpg (270 diesel), crap electrics, poor finish, expensive parts, reasonable 4wd system, 7 seats, good on motorways, wallows & bounces around B roads !!
Mixed bag.
Old 01 November 2012, 22:06   #53

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokraider View Post
4.2 Cruiser or 3.0 Patrol or Shogun.

The answer's on the wall.

Enjoy motoring and getting your tub to the water. Not, "getting taxis to the garage that's stiffing you for a five year old motor that sits on its haunches and is too messed up for the software to deal with".

Get a proper car, get a Japanese 4x4.

Everybody with a smile has.

The groaning munters have Land Rovers
Old 01 November 2012, 23:04   #54

Town: Plymouth
We have run 2 x Disco 3s and now got a Disco 4. All been great tow cars and will pull anything. Covered over 300,000 miles in total and not been let down once.
SW Boat Transport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 November 2012, 23:06   #55

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
I have a ML320CDI, fantastic tow car, get 1 with Airmatic suspension and it makes it a lot better on the road.
Old 01 November 2012, 23:52   #56

Most of the Jap vehicles are pretty good on the reliability front. Mitsubishi spares are
stupidly expensive and the Shogun is probably one of the most troublesome models, especially on steering and suspension. Isuzu's are good and usually have grunty engines, but are more basic in build quality. The Nissan Patrols of old were one of the toughest vehicles built. Problem with most of the Japs are corrosion, they all seem to suffer in the UK environment. i am currently giving an 05 100 series Land Cruiser a make over. The customer is prepared to spend £15 rejuvenating a 7 year year old Land Cruiser, rather than buy a new one (which he could afford), as he doesn't think the new ones are as good. Land Rovers are a mixed bag, depends how lucky you are. I obviously only hear the bad stuff, as no one is going to ring me up to say how thrilled they are with their vehicle. Whilst they have some seriously talented engineers at Solihull, the end product is always ultimately designed by the bean counters and the seriously overpriced product is allowed to go on the market with serious design flaws. Also, why is it cheaper to buy a Solihull product cheaper in the USA than here, where it hasn't been shipped halfway round the world and then had import duty etc added? Being a home produced product, we should be able to buy it cheaper than anyone else in the world! I like what Land Rover were, not what they have become.
Old 02 November 2012, 04:56   #57

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister p View Post
...The answer's on the wall...Get a proper car, get a Japanese 4x4. Everybody with a smile has...
Compelling stuff
Old 02 November 2012, 08:45   #58

My first consideration would be the intended use of the vehicle. If it was mostly highway and the odd slipway for launching then I would be tempted to buy a 2 wheel drive people carrier type van with limited slip differential. My experience with them has been very good especially where comfort and economy in maintenance and servicing are concerned. However, if I was planning on doing any serious offroading and launching from beaches then I would buy a 4wd with beam axle front and back rather than stub axles on the front. Just to be sure that wheels stayed in contact with the ground. I'd also want well sealed bearings and fairly corrosion proof bodywork and chassis. Diesel is better for beaches I find as it tends to suffer less when the engine bay becomes inundated.
If I wanted to launch off road and have comfort on the highway then I would compromise and get a 4wd with stub axles on the front.
Hope that's of use. Al
Old 02 November 2012, 10:44   #59

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Baker
if I was planning on doing any serious offroading and launching from beaches then I would buy a 4wd with beam axle front and back rather than stub axles on the front. Just to be sure that wheels stayed in contact with the ground
You don't need beam axles to keep wheels in contact with the ground. You only need them for a crap ride

By the way, beam axles have stub axles
Old 02 November 2012, 10:48   #60

Whatever make of vehicle, if you put any part of it in sea water, it is history!