Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 29 August 2010, 15:35   #1
Member
 
Nasher's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,147
New Bike Rack

Myself and the Smaller Nashers got a chance today to try out the 'Hay Bale' type Bike rack I picked up on ebay a few weeks ago.

I've wanted one of these for a while, but couldn't justify the £140 - £180 they always sold for on ebay used, and certainly not the new price.
I was on ebay at just the right time when this one was put up at £65 Buy it now, and the guy was even travelling near to my home a week later so I didn't even need to go too far to collect it.

It did come with a Euro spec electrics plug and a UK adaptor, but I cut that off and fitted a spare UK plug I had.

I'm very impressed, although it slopes down very slightly it's very stable and doesn't move around once it's clamped to the tow bar. I'll sort the downward slope with an extra piece of metal welded in under the clamp to get it level. There is plenty of room for Mrs Nashers bike on there too when she wants to join us.

It's not obvious in these images but there is a vertical bar with clamps to hold the bikes upright.

You never know I may want to carry a bale of Hay one day too but It would also be great for carrying the smaller Nashers SIB rolled up instead of putting it in the back when itís all wet.

Nasher
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RN Rack on Disco 1.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	53739   Click image for larger version

Name:	RN Rack on Disco 2.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	53740  
__________________

__________________
RIBBED For extra pleasure.
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Member of the Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2010, 15:55   #2
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
Good find Nasher!

But it doesn't look too stable in the photo to me. You say it's just clamped to the towbar? Must be some bracket!

Does it fold up when not in use?
__________________

__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2010, 15:57   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Will it carry a Smart car?
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2010, 16:21   #4
Member
 
Nasher's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
But it doesn't look too stable in the photo to me.
I thought that before I managed to get a good look at a similar one a few months ago.

The clamp is shaped around the neck of the tow ball and its very stable.

Little Nasher stood on it as far away from the towball as he could get, in the rearmost offside corner. It took all his weight and didn't tilt over or move at all. You just drop it on the towball and clamp it up with a big spanner supplied.

It appears to defy the rules of engineering, but next time you are over I'll put it on for you as you won't believe how rock solid it is, I didn't until I tried it.

Because the Discos tailgate is split I can even still just about open the top half of the tailgate with the bikes in place.

Iím not sure of the make as itís not branded, and Iíve not seen one exactly the same, so I havenít yet found itís max weight spec. Thule and all the other big players make a version and they are popular in the states for carrying additional luggage around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Does it fold up when not in use?
Unfortunately not.

Oh and Mollers, why on earth would I want a smart car anywhere near it?
I'd have to hide my face with a paper bag to avoid the shame.


Nasher
__________________
RIBBED For extra pleasure.
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Member of the Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2010, 16:23   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Oh and Mollers, why on earth would I want a smart car anywhere near it?


Nasher
It's just that it looked about the right size.
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2010, 16:29   #6
Member
 
Nasher's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
It's just that it looked about the right size.
Yep, I know what you mean

Heres a better image showing what the bikes clamp to.

Nasher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	!BzYTUrg!2k~$(KGrHqF,!isEw4+sl9TWBMV)+OQMtw~~_12[1].jpg
Views:	149
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	53743  
__________________
RIBBED For extra pleasure.
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Member of the Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2010, 16:34   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Yep, I know what you mean

Heres a better image showing what the bikes clamp to.

Nasher.
You could strap the front wheels of a Smart on there and trail the rears. Don't forget to disconnect the battery to prevent it from dropping into gear.
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2010, 21:16   #8
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
You could strap the front wheels of a Smart on there and trail the rears. Don't forget to disconnect the battery to prevent it from dropping into gear.
Sounds like you've towed one of these Smart car things behind you at some point
__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2010, 21:18   #9
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
I thought that before I managed to get a good look at a similar one a few months ago.

The clamp is shaped around the neck of the tow ball and its very stable.

Little Nasher stood on it as far away from the towball as he could get, in the rearmost offside corner. It took all his weight and didn't tilt over or move at all. You just drop it on the towball and clamp it up with a big spanner supplied.

It appears to defy the rules of engineering, but next time you are over I'll put it on for you as you won't believe how rock solid it is, I didn't until I tried it.

Because the Discos tailgate is split I can even still just about open the top half of the tailgate with the bikes in place.

Iím not sure of the make as itís not branded, and Iíve not seen one exactly the same, so I havenít yet found itís max weight spec. Thule and all the other big players make a version and they are popular in the states for carrying additional luggage around.



Unfortunately not.

Oh and Mollers, why on earth would I want a smart car anywhere near it?
I'd have to hide my face with a paper bag to avoid the shame.


Nasher
Well I'm guessing that it won't fit around a tow hook with a two position plate mounted in front of the tow ball?
__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2010, 03:21   #10
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Well I'm guessing that it won't fit around a tow hook with a two position plate mounted in front of the tow ball?
Andy I have something similar (a thule 3 bike rack) and I'm fairly sure it would go on with a two position plate. Its remarkably solid once the bolt is tight (I carry a long socket and torque wrench in the car because it is easier than using the 12" ring spanner they supplied with it. Its so solid that when Mrs P reversed it into a fence the other day it barely moved - but was hard enough to break the lights on the corner the hit

Nasher - on that issue, when the bikes are "off" - can you see the rack is there from the driver's seat? If not probably worth removing when not in use.... ....unless you can be sure anyone driving always has their brain switched on!
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.