Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 31 July 2008, 22:34   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
NCAP misleading

This is a topic that has been discussed before. Many people don't realise that a car with an NCAP rating of 5 may not be as safe as a larger vehicle with a lower rating.

Just come across this video which is quite scary - the bigger vehicle always wins!!!

The new Fiat 500 has a 5 star rating - the Audi has a 4 star.



http://www.adac.de/adactv/

Go to the 2nd link dated 24-07-08 it's in German but the video speaks for itself - scary stuff!!!
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2008, 18:28   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Clitheroe
Length: no boat
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 77
The youtube link is broken
__________________

__________________
Alex-341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2008, 18:31   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-341 View Post
The youtube link is broken
Strange it worked before - ahh a missing Q!!!

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2008, 03:03   #4
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Many people don't realise that a car with an NCAP rating of 5 may not be as safe as a larger vehicle with a lower rating.
It is indeed alarming but your statement is false. Because you could have the same safety coding for ... bikes for example,.. but what use is that when you crash into an HGV ?
__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2008, 07:01   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
It is indeed alarming but your statement is false. Because you could have the same safety coding for ... bikes for example,.. but what use is that when you crash into an HGV ?
My statement is NOT false. The media and NCAP should make it clear to the public that there is a huge difference in safety between a small vehicle and a larger one.

People are buying tiny little cars with 5 star ratings thinking they are safe. The media will sing the praises of a small 5 star car and yet criticise a Land Rover or Nissan Navarra because they only have 2 or 3.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/943589.stm

Small cars are becoming safer than ever, according to the latest crash test results carried out by the European New Car Assessment Programme (Euro NCAP).
The best performer of all was the Toyota Yaris, the UK's 11th most popular supermini this year. Euro NCAP said it had achieved the third best crash test score of any car since tests began in 1997 - "a significant engineering achievement for such a small vehicle".
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2008, 10:08   #6
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
Ok so you should have reframed your thread "NCAP is a useless comparison when you crash your small car into something three times its size and weight!!" err... like we didnt know that

Isnt it the case that NCAP is about more than just primary crash protection anyway ? .. so in many cases the car you are talking about may well have a justifiable rating
__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2008, 11:37   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,962
Quote:
err... like we didnt know that
We know that but I'm with Codders. Media info is sometimes, err...frequently, given as support for their agenda but it is used in ignorance and accepted as fact my many (most?). But we know that too, don't we?
__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2008, 13:36   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Ok so you should have reframed your thread "NCAP is a useless comparison when you crash your small car into something three times its size and weight!!" err... like we didnt know that

Isnt it the case that NCAP is about more than just primary crash protection anyway ? .. so in many cases the car you are talking about may well have a justifiable rating

You know it and I know it but as jwalker says most people don't!!!

I read about so many crashes where young people especially are killed in tiny little cars - often with 5 or 6 passengers in them. In a big car the extra load isn't so bad but in a small car you are almost doubling it's weight.

Insurance companies and tax bands don't help either. Young drivers go for these tiny cars for cheaper insurance. Quite why a Corsa 1.4 should be cheaper to insure than say a Mondeo 1.8 is beyond me - the Corsa is quicker!!!

I wouldn't mind betting the parents who buy these small cars for their kids think - ahh well it's got 5 stars and that old Mondeo is only 3.

I agree if you make a habit of crashing into a concrete block without too many passengers then the NCAP figures are great - if you crash into anything else then the biggest usually wins.
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2008, 15:55   #9
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
You know it and I know it but as jwalker says most people don't!!!
No .. I dont think people are that naive,.. and thats my point I made earlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I read about so many crashes where young people especially are killed in tiny little cars - often with 5 or 6 passengers in them. In a big car the extra load isn't so bad but in a small car you are almost doubling it's weight.
Thats in so many cases because they drive like idiots, taking unbelievable risks, because they just dont have the knowledge of what speeds they are doing, and how to handle their vehicles .. not always .. but often. They are the biggest risk groups because of their lack of experience not because they studied NCAP ratings !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Insurance companies and tax bands don't help either. Young drivers go for these tiny cars for cheaper insurance. Quite why a Corsa 1.4 should be cheaper to insure than say a Mondeo 1.8 is beyond me - the Corsa is quicker!!!
Because the Corsa is cheaper to repair most probably !

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I wouldn't mind betting the parents who buy these small cars for their kids think - ahh well it's got 5 stars and that old Mondeo is only 3.
They probably assume (not unrealistically) the bigger car is more costly to run, and the way road tax is going, they will be correct !


Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I agree if you make a habit of crashing into a concrete block without too many passengers then the NCAP figures are great
or if you knock down a pedestrian etc ..

But I do take your point about misinformation, which kind of reminds me about the CE Cat A / B / C coding I pointed out on another thread about transom failure and how useless that is.. but that is a much more technical issue than people buying cars like smart cars, and thinking they can take on an HGV, I just dont think people are that stupid
__________________

__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.