Old 24 September 2007, 20:15   #21

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
When they extended the M4 past Baglan the section by J44 used to be the A48 - when it changed to the M4 the ONLY difference were the signs!!! There are plenty of other instances in the UK.
Now that's not true, is it CP? - the scheme 'straightened out' the nasty 'S' bend where the two petrol filling stations used to be, widened the highway to include a hard shoulder and put a longer radius to the last bend eastwards before J43 at Llandarcy

Quote:
In fact some A roads are actually better than motorways. One example is the Neath to Glyneath section of the A465 - it is a concrete surface which has awesome banking on it - quite safe to do 170mph in sections - in good conditions when there's no traffic.
Apart from the roundabouts at Resolven, where some guy always pulls out in front of you scoffing a Big Mac

Camber is cool though and that stretch of road is a massive improvement over the old A465, which was plagued with fatal crashes for years.
Old 24 September 2007, 20:28   #22

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Actually the worst part of the S bend remains - under the bridge with the nasty concrete armco - the section past J43 is identical.

I had almost forgotten those petrol stations!!!
Old 24 September 2007, 21:27   #23

Quote:
- the section past J43 is identical.
Apart from the feed to the new bridge at Earlswood and the 'third' lane to the old bridge............................ I'll leave it there now

Quote:
How mad were they? People pulling out of the petrol stations into rush hour traffic at 70+mph between two tight bends

Happy days!
Old 24 September 2007, 21:32   #24

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15
Quote:
I agree it is madness on a road like that but the copper was just as guilty!!!
Exactly one law for them and a different one for the rest of us

PS Codders AVG seems to work ok touch wood fingers crossed
Old 24 September 2007, 21:47   #25

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Apart from the feed to the new bridge at Earlswood and the 'third' lane to the old bridge............................ I'll leave it there now

How mad were they? People pulling out of the petrol stations into rush hour traffic at 70+mph between two tight bends

Happy days!
must be tough living in the third world!!!

some great mbike roads though
Old 24 September 2007, 22:11   #26

You wouldn't have wanted to go biking on that road.
Old 25 September 2007, 00:04   #27

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
I had almost forgotten those petrol stations!!! [/QUOTE]

doesn't that answer the real difference between a motorway and a dual cariageway . apart from the restriction of slow vehicles .
On a motorway you know the only junctions you come across will be propper long sliproads , no traffic crossing the road , or entering and exiting on hidden or short junctions , laybys ,filling ,stations etc .
Old 25 September 2007, 01:37   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post

doesn't that answer the real difference between a motorway and a dual cariageway . apart from the restriction of slow vehicles .
On a motorway you know the only junctions you come across will be propper long sliproads , no traffic crossing the road , or entering and exiting on hidden or short junctions , laybys ,filling ,stations etc . [/QUOTE]

You obviously haven't noticed the ones in Port Talbot!!!
Old 25 September 2007, 10:39   #29

Town: Nr Tring
Boat name: Braveheart
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: Tohatsu 140
The problem I have with the porsche driver is that - as I understand it - he wasn't allowed to drive the car and therefore I wonder whether he had experience of ever driving it, let alone at those sorts of speeds. As he had taken the car without permission, surely the bigger issue is that he was therefore uninsured!

Although not condoning the actions of the copper, he was - I am guessing - an advanced driver if he was driving an unmarked police car and should, therefore, 1) have known better but also 2) should have been able to control the car at higher speeds. I am also assuming that the copper hadn't stolen the car.

They are two different cases although I do believe that the law should be more equal.
Old 25 September 2007, 12:46   #30
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
MMSI: ... - - - ...
911 designed and honed to go, stop and handle at over 150mph OR Vectra designed to carry sales rep and bag of samples to and from travel loge?

Which is safer doing travailing at the other side of 150?

Not saying it is safe to do this in a 911 on a A road, but it must be safer than in a Vectra?

Hell “luxury car hire delivery driver” me thinks he was AS experienced as any copper at going fast (www.helphire.co.uk).
Old 25 September 2007, 13:04   #31

The ONLY reason he was accused of taking the car without permission was the company trying to distance themselves from the incident. The court obviously thought the same as that was thrown out.

and please don't assume that all Police drivers are very advanced. There are more and more accidents each year - the standard of Police driving is way down on what it used to be. i was nealry hit by a marked patrol car jumping a red light withour even having his sirens on.

Another time I saw a marked car driving at high speed at night - he DID have his blue lights on - unfortunately he had forgotten about his headlights!!!

I would definitely agree that a 911 is far safer at speed than the Vectra. I had a Vectra Gsi on lease for a while - it was stupidly fast over about 70mph but the car was a bit nose heavy and slightly under damped. Now I will admit that I haven't driven a new 911 but I have driven a Ferrari 360 many times and it is in a different league to the Vectra so I assume the 911 is as well as it's a direct rival to the Ferrari.
Old 25 September 2007, 15:31   #32
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
If you're going too fast/not paying enough attention to slow down in time for a speed trap then you're driving dangerously whatever car you're in.

Doesn't matter if it's a Lexus,a 911 or a Spagliatelli Carbonara-if it can do those speeds then your reactions and thinking you're a good driver are what'll kill someone-not the car. It's more capable than you are.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2007, 17:02   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
If you're going too fast/not paying enough attention to slow down in time for a speed trap then you're driving dangerously whatever car you're in.

Doesn't matter if it's a Lexus,a 911 or a Spagliatelli Carbonara-if it can do those speeds then your reactions and thinking you're a good driver are what'll kill someone-not the car. It's more capable than you are.
I agree unless its those sneaky little bike hating welsh police who hide away with their little revenue guns just inside the 40 sign . They are so sneaky you don't even know until the ticket arrives .
Old 25 September 2007, 17:11   #34
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
I agree unless its those sneaky little bike hating welsh police who hide away with their little revenue guns just inside the 40 sign . They are so sneaky you don't even know until the ticket arrives .
That's actually technically illegal-they are supposed to be visible and on a few occasions I've stopped and given coppers doing that on the North Swindon bypass a dressing down and taken their badge numbers (funnily enough they stopped doing it quite quickly).
If you get caught like that then defend it.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2007, 17:59   #35

Nos4
If you get caught like that then defend it. [/QUOTE]

I was and i did but waste of time .
Ticket turned up a week or so after i had got home from trip to wales saying I was doing 50 in a 40 . In a place i can't pronounce or spell .
I asked for the pics and they sent pictures of a car , i returned them and they sent the picture of me with another bike in the picture with my bike obscuring his number . I believe i had slowed down for the limit and the other bike had overtaken me .
Tried to fight it but a day off for a trip to wales to represent myself in court with the cost and chance of losing made it easier and much cheaper to pay the £60 and take 3 points on a clean licence .
Old 25 September 2007, 19:39   #36

The Welsh police are the worst of the lot for these sneaky underhand tactics.

There was a case a while ago where a camera was illegally sited on the M4 during some roadworks. Something like 2500 people were prosecuted. When it was found out the prosecutions were illegal the local authority refused to write to the motorists and let them know - they said they would only remove the points and refund the fines if people came forward - they are quick enough to write in the first place.

Ahh found it

http://www.abd.org.uk/talivan_incompetence.htm

2003 October — South Wales — M4 Newport
2,500 Drivers. £150,000 in fines.
In a tale of staggering ineptitude or deliberate malpractice, a speed camera van targetted part of the M4 outside of a temporary 50mph speed limit due to roadworks. Thousands of drivers on the M4 at Coldra near Newport were wrongly fined.
Despite admitting their 'mistake', the arrogant prats refused to allow a blanket amnesty and insisted drivers would have to apply individually to have their points returned and fines refunded.
Old 25 September 2007, 19:52   #37

Town: Colchester/Clevedon
Boat name: Barracuda
Make: Porters
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Quote:
The Welsh police are the worst of the lot for these sneaky underhand tactics.
Believe it or not, the Johannesburg police force are far worse. Paying speeding fines is an every day part of life down there (they don't get points though).

I worked down there for 6 months a year or so back and picked up a load of fines at £30 each. Their cameras are not visible either and have no road markings like gatsos.

A friend of mine got so fed up of dishing out £100 or so each month that he just took his back number plate off. Solved the problem straight away!
Old 25 September 2007, 20:00   #38

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...re/5271480.stm

Just an update - not only was he doing 159mph on a Motorway but 131mph on an A road and 91mph in a 30mph zone.

Now the 1st and 2nd are fair enough if the conditions were right etc but 91 in a 30..........
Old 25 September 2007, 20:59   #39

Boat name: Ribell
Length: no boat
Quote:
Now the 1st and 2nd are fair enough if the conditions were right etc but 91 in a 30..........
fair enough

What if some poor person had broken down on the A road ?
Old 25 September 2007, 21:52   #40

Some A roads have hard shoulders or very long straights.