Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 24 September 2007, 10:49   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
When they extended the M4 past Baglan the section by J44 used to be the A48 - when it changed to the M4 the ONLY difference were the signs!!! There are plenty of other instances in the UK.

In fact some A roads are actually better than motorways. One example is the Neath to Glyneath section of the A465 - it is a concrete surface which has awesome banking on it - quite safe to do 170mph in sections - in good conditions when there's no traffic.

Concrete roads are noisy as hell for the residents though and crap in the wet.
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2007, 10:52   #12
Member
 
randski's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cornwall
Make: Waveline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
but there's no m-ways I've come across that are worse than that stretch of d/c near Kingston Bagpuise where the guy was caught.
agreed that A420 is a nasty stretch of road.
__________________

__________________
Bob
randski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2007, 11:00   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Colchester/Clevedon
Boat name: Barracuda
Make: Porters
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codprawn View Post
When they extended the M4 past Baglan the section by J44 used to be the A48 - when it changed to the M4 the ONLY difference were the signs!!! There are plenty of other instances in the UK.
Yes, the first few miles of the M32 northbound is a good example. As is the road that heads west out of london to form the M4 (A4??). Both three lanes and identical to a motorway but local authority controlled and thus A-roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V666 View Post
As you approach the M5 North bound from the A38 (from plymouth) there is a section of 3 lanes, just like motorway but has green signs.
That last section before the M5 has an awesome mile or so down hill section, which you just fly down. Shame they stuck a camera at the bottom!
__________________
GuyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2007, 11:02   #14
Member
 
randski's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cornwall
Make: Waveline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
- quite safe to do 170mph in sections - in good conditions when there's no traffic.
Maybe! but at that speed how many drivers are aware that there is no other traffic on the road-my point is the difference between d/c and motorways is the traffic that can use a d/c cannot use a motorway.

Motorways MUST NOT be used by pedestrians, holders of provisional car or motorcycle driving licences unless exempt, riders of motorcycles under 50cc, cyclists and horse riders. Certain slow-moving vehicles and those carrying oversized loads (except by special permission), agricultural vehicles and most invalid carriages are also prohibited.
__________________
Bob
randski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2007, 11:05   #15
Member
 
randski's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cornwall
Make: Waveline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyP View Post
Yes, the first few miles of the M32 northbound is a good example.
That is a good example (but one of the few)
__________________
Bob
randski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2007, 11:08   #16
Member
 
randski's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cornwall
Make: Waveline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyP View Post



That last section before the M5 has an awesome mile or so down hill section, which you just fly down. Shame they stuck a camera at the bottom!

Maybe the camera is there because of the bend & the junction that has a short slip road joining.
__________________
Bob
randski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2007, 14:40   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by randski View Post
Maybe! but at that speed how many drivers are aware that there is no other traffic on the road-my point is the difference between d/c and motorways is the traffic that can use a d/c cannot use a motorway.

Motorways MUST NOT be used by pedestrians, holders of provisional car or motorcycle driving licences unless exempt, riders of motorcycles under 50cc, cyclists and horse riders. Certain slow-moving vehicles and those carrying oversized loads (except by special permission), agricultural vehicles and most invalid carriages are also prohibited.
I have always found this to be so stupid. A learner is allowed on fast A roads where there are more hazards but not on a Motorway where there are far less.

As I said though not all A roads are the same - in West wales for example you have tractors cutting across them and all sorts but others are exactly the same as Motorways.
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2007, 15:02   #18
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I have always found this to be so stupid. A learner is allowed on fast A roads where there are more hazards but not on a Motorway where there are far less.Partly because there are no learners. Ever seen someone with 'P' plates on a motorway? It's scary.

As I said though not all A roads are the same - in West wales for example you have tractors cutting across them and all sorts but others are exactly the same as Motorways. Good motorway training then.

My bold.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2007, 16:06   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Ribell
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 195
My Father in law was a devoute member of The Middle Lane Owners Club

I once asked him why he insisted on not moving out of the middle lane.

His answer was 'I am doing 70 mph therefor nothing should overtake me!'

Try as I might, I never did manage to convince him that he should move over.
__________________
v666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2007, 16:07   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/o...re/7009923.stm

A bloke has just been jailed for driving a Porsche 911 at 172mph.

Obviously it's a very naughty thing to do - unless you are a Policeman of course.......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...re/5284962.stm

One law for them and one law for us!!!
He'll need be even faster when he get out, plenty practising his high speed manoeuvres over the next ten weeks dodging boyfriends...
__________________

__________________
.
IBWET is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.