Old 06 October 2005, 22:43   #22

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMat
Geckos are fine for what they're designed for - but bear in mind they have nowhere near the impact resistance of an "good" motorcycle helmet. This isn't a criticism of the product as such, just worth bearing in mind to choose the right helmet for what you're trying to achieve - and, make sure it fits you properly. Personally, I am disinclined to wear a crash helmet when pleasure boating.
I agree - the only reason I want one his to keep my head warm and water off my face. For that reason £40 was a better bet than £140 - I have no doubt the Gecko would be the best bet but I hope not to have to use them that much!!!
Old 07 October 2005, 06:12   #23

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Interesting which part of Mat's post you've chosen to post. And bear in mind that there are two standards of Motorcycle helmet - your purchase at £40 apiece can only be the cheaper type. The rest of Mat's post stated:
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt
Just got a good reply from the MD of Gecko. A pretty honest, straight forward response I think, and interesting about the history and development of the helmet. At the end of the day it's a tool designed for a job, which it does, and I guess in a rib/workboat/rescue environment it is the obvious (perhaps only!!) choice.
I would suggest that your research into Geckos and marine safety helmets starts with a call to Jeff. He's a very pleasant guy and the conversation will be a pleasure as well as informative.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 October 2005, 06:26   #24

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
40quid is a cheap motorcycle helmet, mine usually cost over 300 a piece but then again i do use em on the road, and change every few years, and i go for sexy patterns...

that said there will be nothing wrong with the protection qualities of a 40 quidder. it is usually down to comfort and looks at the cheap end.

the bucket effect folks are taking about is interesting, i guess from my standpoint i will need to look at one of these gekos and compare.....as i have a few spare bike helmets that i use less frequently these days
Old 07 October 2005, 06:27   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Interesting which part of Mat's post you've chosen to post. And bear in mind that there are two standards of Motorcycle helmet - your purchase at £40 apiece can only be the cheaper type. The rest of Mat's post stated:
I would suggest that your research into Geckos and marine safety helmets starts with a call to Jeff. He's a very pleasant guy and the conversation will be a pleasure as well as informative.
my visor costs £40!!!!!! so a tip to anyone wanting a new visor that travels to the usa they are much cheaper over there
Old 07 October 2005, 13:25   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
I have done!!!!

The conclusions I made were as follows

1. Yes the Gecko is ideal for the marine environment - one size fits all and it will stand up to getting wet very well.

2. Would not call them overpriced for what they are - just they don't mass produce enough to get the cost right down.

3. Gecko are contradictory in their advice - what they say about the "bucket" effect I totally agree with which means a full face helmet is more at risk. And yet they produce a full face which is flared at the bottom which would make the bucket effect worse.

4. Obviously a full face helmet would be far better in the event of a full stuff or collision with an object.

5. Full face reduce visibility and situation awareness.

As a result I decided to get an open face with a visor - I concluded that motorbike helmets are also designed for wet environments - you get pretty wet on a bike in the rain.

I do not like the chin strap on mine - I will either leave it undone or will replace it with a velcro strap. The helmet is quite a snug fit and will absorb 1 impact before being dislodged - which should be sufficient.

I never buy ANYTHING without reading up on it first and asking questions.
Old 07 October 2005, 13:35   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
I have done!!!!

The conclusions I made were as follows

As a result I decided to get an open face with a visor - I concluded that motorbike helmets are also designed for wet environments - you get pretty wet on a bike in the rain.

at least with a full face you can have the visor down and stay dry, assuming the vents are closed but not sure if it would suffer from steaming up due to the amount of damp and limited air over it

I do not like the chin strap on mine - I will either leave it undone or will replace it with a velcro strap. The helmet is quite a snug fit and will absorb 1 impact before being dislodged - which should be sufficient.
if i was on a boat i think i would do the chin strap up as a helmet that is half on and half off when you impact something might cause even more damage to you., i am thinking of full face here as mine are all a snug fit to get on and off, open face might be ok.

as for bike helmets getting wet, not sure they do really, i usually have full face helmets and they never get wet inside, except on a hot day....i am not sure a bike helmet would be up to the sea type of wet, the glues might come unstuck etc

i have a shoei that i will use for the rib when appropriate as it is now the wrong colours for the bike!!

but as you are only buying cheapies then they can be replaced if they fall apart

let us know how you get on as i am sure others will be interested to find out
chris
Old 07 October 2005, 13:44   #28

Many bikers use open face with NO visor - just goggles - they are bound to get VERY wet in the rain!!!

Would NEVER consider an open face on a bike though!!! Chinless wonder has a whole new meaning.......
Old 07 October 2005, 13:47   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Many bikers use open face with NO visor - just goggles - they are bound to get VERY wet in the rain!!!

Would NEVER consider an open face on a bike though!!! Chinless wonder has a whole new meaning.......
and some dont wear goggles and just eat what ever comes their way!! I dont think those guys spend a lot of time riding in the rain either

chat to some dispatch riders and get their views on wet, i think seawater is a whole different kettle of fish

chris
Old 07 October 2005, 13:48   #30

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hartley
i think seawater is a whole different kettle of fish
Or, a different helmet-full of fish!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2005, 12:21   #31

Just read an article in PBO about the nasty crash where a 13 yr old powerboater was seriously injured.

Here is the document produced by the MAIB.

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources...etin3-2005.pdf

Basically they conclude that the Gecko is the ONLY helmet approved for the marine environment - they also say however that it is NOT suitable for powerboat racing as it doesn't offer enough protection!!!

Basically it comes down to what I said earlier - no definitive answer!!!