Old 25 September 2009, 05:03   #71

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmartins View Post
What part do I have to confirm with personal experience?

And as I said anyone can have a good or a bad experience with any car and that may not represent the brand. Especially when they are sold on that brand image.
Having owned 4 BMW large diesels inc. an X5 and two Japanese 4x4's, I'm not going to be convinced by some statistic that BM's are not better built.
Both the the Mitzys began to rust, the BM's wouldn't rust if you threw them in the sea.

It's not hard to find a statistic of some sort to back-up any argument. Japanese 4x4's are half as well equiped as an X5, therefore the X5 needs to be twice as reliable just to be level pegging in your survey.

Old 25 September 2009, 05:46   #72

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
By that do you mean Gordon 'Brown' .. as he still wants to keep a crap business going to preserve british jobs for a motor that is out classed in many regards (although not all) across the world ?
This is not true, the government has not given any money to Land Rover or Jaguar, they have 'promised' some money if they develop a battery powered car and that amounts to about 27m which in car development terms is chicken feed. Foreign governments have pumped money into their automotive industries while Brown has stood back and let ours go to the wall.

Brown has supported a scrapage scheme which supports foreign produced cars far more than any home produced ones, yet this costs 300 m and supports mainly foreign jobs.

Can you believe the level of our governments incompetence? I find it all staggering TBH.

You question the reliability of Land Rovers and that is fair comment, although a dash falling apart after a year should be covered under warranty. Jaguar however produces highly reliable cars and this is supported by the industry standard test, the jd power survey.

Over the last 10 years I have watched British industry, especially in the Midlands, destroyed. Sometimes its been poor product but mainly its been down to political decisions made by large foreign companies deciding its easier to close a British factory than a French one. Economics never even got a look in, nor has product quality. The lack of fight from our government / people has made the difference IMO.

We can all turn away from a fight and we all have many times, miners, steel workers, dockers, ship building......bankers? The list of UK failures over the last 30 years is staggering and it seems that its not on anyones political agenda at all, why FFS?

I love the UK, but its at times like this I feel like moving to another country that has leaders, not weak men and women in control. God save the UK (and quick) All IMHO.

Old 25 September 2009, 08:16   #73

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Nice one Tinker - sadly many people would rather keep Wolfgang and Helmut in jobs than you!!!

I do NOT expect people to buy British just for the sake of it - but if there is a good product and you are umming and ahhing over what to buy why not consider the British Economy as a deciding factor - most other countries do - why is Patriotism such a dirty word in Britain these days???
Old 25 September 2009, 12:22   #74

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Length: 5m +
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I do NOT expect people to buy British just for the sake of it - but if there is a good product and you are umming and ahhing over what to buy why not consider the British Economy as a deciding factor - most other countries do - why is Patriotism such a dirty word in Britain these days???
Are all these factories not in England? I seem to remember the scottish car factories being allowed to go down the tubes cos their cars were crap and the build quality poor without a murmur.............................
...........getting coat and leaving quickly..........
Old 25 September 2009, 15:26   #75

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker View Post
This is not true
Points taken .. but I dont think this country can support manual work 'en mass' anymore like it used to .. cant say I'm happy about it either for the record .. and I should know as I've tried employing some of the lazy F**kers

There are too many complainers, too many shirkers, and too many other people elsewhere that will do the work for less !!

Like it or lump it.. the way we are going only serves to promote small cottage industries,.. and that applies to cars .. niche markets etc.

I agree with your best point .. the country really is fooked ! but as for Codders and his nationalist agenda .. there is soo much apathy now,.. that I will agree with your other point .. when you fancy emmigrating .. book me a ticket too would you ?

Ive run a company for 20 years .. and you would be staggered to see what I have paid in tax I have both earned, and collected for UK PLC ( as I have) and what have I got left with ? .. not a lot .. and the shit attitude, red tape and beurocracy that goes along with it ? nah .. ' If' I can retire , after the financial boys have raped my savings and pensions ( wee agree on that too ), I'll not look over my shoulder too often at the state of play in this country .. for a change I'll be doing what everyone else seems to be doing and looking after number one
Old 25 September 2009, 16:31   #76
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
.. the country really is fooked !
nise wan ribnobburs

avin a polyticul debait rite unnder de snozzel ov dat torl bastud disgized az a thred bowt nakkerd lanrowvers

verry clevver i mus saiy

Quote:
I'll be doing what everyone else seems to be doing and looking after number one
an downt ferget bigwuss

downt step inn numbir too
Old 25 September 2009, 17:25   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garfish View Post
an downt ferget bigwuss

downt step inn numbir too
Once bitten.. twice shy

edit sorry that should have been

Wunse Bitun twise shi .. damn thats the german gArF version .. how do you say shy in garf speak in english ?
Old 27 November 2009, 13:15   #78

Town: Horsham
Boat name: Y Knot
Make: Avon, rubber company
Engine: Yamaha 75hp
Yes, Land Rovers are very very tough, in fact very strong!!
If Land Rovers were Cheese then this would be the advert for them.............

http://www.johnnolanfilms.com/films/nolans-cheddar/
Old 27 November 2009, 17:31   #79

Hehe... very good .. the little fella wouldnt have liked my size twelve on him though,.. just to make sure .. mind you if he was savvy enough to get away .. he deserves another chance
Old 27 November 2009, 17:41   #80

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Yet 2 View Post
Yes, Land Rovers are very very tough, in fact very strong!!
If Land Rovers were Cheese then this would be the advert for them.............

http://www.johnnolanfilms.com/films/nolans-cheddar/
Brilliant!!!