Old 30 July 2006, 09:43   #161

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Interesting story!

There's a difference between complaining about off-road performance and all-round reliability though.

One of my work colleagues is a big Land Rover enthusiast, he runs part of the Discovery Owners Club and is into Mud Club (nutter!). He also has the number one google return on searching for "Landrover Discovery TD5"

Check out his Land Rover 90 site as well: www.90county.co.uk (Codders you'll enjoy that one!)

In numerous conversations I've had with him about Discovery reliability, he's pragmatically said to me: "You do need to have your eyes open when you consider buying one of these vehicles"!!!!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2006, 09:52   #162

Town: Torquay UK
Boat name: Casper
Make: Sweden Yacht
Length: 10m +
Engine: Volvo 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Interesting story!
There's a difference between complaining about off-road performance and all-round reliability though.

Correct, but closer to the thread point of people complaining about Landrover products ,
Old 30 July 2006, 10:23   #163

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
So the answer to my previous question is yes then!

I would take a guess that unless you've declared this "tweak", your insurance could be invalid, particularly now that you've documented the fact that you have deliberately modified your vehicle with the stated intention of significant performance increase.
The answer to that is that it isn't a modification it is an adjustment so the insurance company can **** off

It makes all the difference - I did the same to my old 90. The new one will be getting the same plus a bigger intercooler as well, though it tows the RIB quite happily.

I have two Land Rovers - a 2002 Discovery V8 auto and a 2004 Defender 90 Tdi - and over the last ten years I have owned three examples of each and no examples of anything else though I see a lot of Mitsubishis and Toyotas in my job, and they aren't foolproof, try the clutch in a Toyota Prado manual as a good example of something under-engineered.

With LR, you get good ones and bad ones, my new 90 is nowhere near as good as my old one was whereas the current Discovery is light years better than the last (1996) one which was a nightmare. The basic architecture is fairly bombproof and where there are problems, a lot of it is down to assembly in my opinion, as somebody commented, the hourly paid worker is often to blame! If Land Rover has a problem it is with consistent assembly on the vehicles which are still largely hand-built, whereas the Jap vehicles are like peas in a pod - meaning if something is crap on one of them, it'll be crap on all of them, whereas if you buy a LR the chances are if you change it for another one it won't have the same problem
Old 30 July 2006, 10:54   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster
The answer to that is that it isn't a modification it is an adjustment so the insurance company can **** off
Brave words, but any adjustment from standard specification is a modification, and one that renders a vehicle incapable of passing an MOT test could easily be perceived as a negative factor.

How many vehicles are there on the Falkland Islands? And are your insurance premiums low... I guess that third party risks are low, unless you run into a sheep!
Old 30 July 2006, 12:33   #165

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Brave words, but any adjustment from standard specification is a modification, and one that renders a vehicle incapable of passing an MOT test could easily be perceived as a negative factor.

How many vehicles are there on the Falkland Islands? And are your insurance premiums low... I guess that third party risks are low, unless you run into a sheep!

Actually mine WILL pass the MOT cos it did yesterday - with flying colours!!! I think often they err on the side of caution - mine still isn't making smoke even after adjusting the pump.

As to invalidating the insurance are you real? Does that mean everytime you take a car for a Crypton you have to tell them????
Old 30 July 2006, 12:46   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Actually mine WILL pass the MOT cos it did yesterday
You were the one originally suggesting that it wouldnt!
Quote:
As to invalidating the insurance are you real? Does that mean everytime you take a car for a Crypton you have to tell them????
Don't be stupid - all that "having a crypton" does is set everything back to standard! Not that much should change now on a modern engine.
Old 30 July 2006, 12:48   #167

Quote:
Interesting story!

One of my work colleagues is a big Land Rover enthusiast, he runs part of the Discovery Owners Club and is into Mud Club (nutter!). He also has the number one google return on searching for "Landrover Discovery TD5"

Check out his Land Rover 90 site as well: www.90county.co.uk (Codders you'll enjoy that one!)

In numerous conversations I've had with him about Discovery reliability, he's pragmatically said to me: "You do need to have your eyes open when you consider buying one of these vehicles"!!!!

Great site - obviously a true Land Rover nut!!!

Yes you have to keep your eyes open when you buy a Land Rover - they get abused more than most vehicles. I have noticed the utility companies keep their cars and vans for 3 years before selling them on - Land rovers are kept for FAR longer - there is a local Police Defender running around here that is on a P plate - 10 years of constant abuse.

Talking of utility companies the Italian Electric Company have just bought 980 Defenders - when you see the conditions they operate in - places like the Dolomites etc - you will realise just how good LR are. In the Pyrenees I saw more Landies than anywhere else - funny how people whose lives depend on them CHOOSE Land Rovers all the time!!!

I have had 4 LRs now and apart from a bit of TLC on the service side I have NEVER had a single breakdown or real problem. More than can be said for a lot of new cars I have driven.
Old 30 July 2006, 12:57   #168

Quote:
You were the one originally suggesting that it wouldnt!
Don't be stupid - all that "having a crypton" does is set everything back to standard! Not that much should change now on a modern engine.
It can do if you go too far - I could prob get more power out of mine if I tweaked it a bit more but I am quite happy with mine.

Maybe mine is just back to standard now as well - it was as sluggish as hell when I bought it - 20mpg and you would never think of overtaking. Now it is quite nippy for what it is and does nearer 30mpg - using much smaller throttle openings.

To think the person who owned the Discovery before prob thinks that all tdi Discoverys are like that. It took me about 5 mins to make it into a different vehicle.

As to other mods I also blocked off the EGR valve - it isn't needed in the UK anyway. A mate of mine works in our local main dealer JAP car place(no names) and he said they get loads of probs with EGR valves on most new cars so they just block them off without even telling the customer!!! The tales he can tell of replacing stretched timing chains at 20,000 miles on top jap cars etc makes you realise that Land Rovers aren't so bad after all.
Old 30 July 2006, 13:54   #169

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:

True but as they vary in factory performance anyway, it would be very difficult to prove it had been adjusted, even if you knew what you were looking for (one of the main settings has an anti-tamper thing fitted but the absence of that doesn't prove "beyond reasonable doubt" that it has been adjusted!)

Vehicles - probably about 1500 or so I think, not sure really, I think it was about that in the last census but that was five years ago. That excludes the military fleet which is probably another 300 Land Rovers, a few LDVs and about 100 Citroens. The vast majority are 4x4s as you will see from the attached photos taken at the annual mid-winter swim back in June - anybody who knows any anti 4x4 environmentalist types and wants to make their head explode just send them here

The police use only Land Rovers (two Discovery patrol cars, a 110 support vehicle and an unmarked 90) the ambulance is a Defender 130 conversion, the fire brigade have a small fleet of Land Rovers, nearly all the Government vehicle fleet are Land Rovers and in about 3 months time even the hearse will be a special Land Rover conversion

Third party insurance on a £10,000 vehicle would be about £80 a year I think, fully comp on my Discovery is about £350 a year last time round I think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6240048.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	21250   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6240050.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	21251  
Old 01 August 2006, 19:16   #170

Length: no boat
Quote:
The tales he can tell of replacing stretched timing chains at 20,000 miles on top jap cars etc makes you realise that Land Rovers aren't so bad after all.
Pray tell......
Old 01 August 2006, 22:15   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard1
Pray tell......
Got to be careful - don't want to get him the sack. The only Jap/Korean vehicles they aren't agents for is Honda.
Old 03 August 2006, 13:23   #172

Which "top jap cars" still use timing chains?
Old 03 August 2006, 14:51   #173

Quote:
Which "top jap cars" still use timing chains?
Loads of cars are going back to chains!!!
Old 04 August 2006, 01:35   #174

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Loads of cars are going back to chains!!!
my jag xjr v8 had 4 timing chains which need replacing at 60k miles together with all the tensioners etc at a small fee of around 2k

my v8 bmw had timing chains, not sure how many, that are there for life, local garage has never known one go

the td5 has a timing chain that is apparently ok for life too
Old 04 August 2006, 03:03   #175

Rover V8 engine is the best - the chain is sort short they never go and don't need a tensioner either!!!

Ferraris are the worst for belt changes - on some the engine has to come out.
Old 04 August 2006, 03:23   #176

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
..... In the Pyrenees I saw more Landies than anywhere else - funny how people whose lives depend on them CHOOSE Land Rovers all the time!!!
...or Santanas..?

Quote:
I have had 4 LRs now and apart from a bit of TLC on the service side I have NEVER had a single breakdown or real problem. More than can be said for a lot of new cars I have driven.
I've had more than a dozen... and they've all had problems.. my current one is "under investigation" for an engine management fault...again.. doesn't mean I don't like 'em though...
Old 04 August 2006, 11:12   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
...or Santanas..?

I've had more than a dozen... and they've all had problems.. my current one is "under investigation" for an engine management fault...again.. doesn't mean I don't like 'em though...
I DO know the difference!!! Only saw a small number of Santanas - most of them were the home grown genuine article!!!

Talking of which how the hell does Santana get away with what they are doing now? They used to build Land Rovers under licence - now they sell their "own" vehicle - seems splashing isn't restricted to the boat industry!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23264 (Small).jpg
Views:	183
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	21341  
Old 04 August 2006, 11:35   #178
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Talking of Landies, I was up round the Coventry area last week and spotted what I think is the as-yet unreleased new model Disco being roadtested with the black cloth all over it not once but 3 times.

Looked pretty much like the current model but slightly lower/wider from the front. Couldn't see much of the sides for the cloth.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2006, 11:43   #179

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2
spotted what I think is the as-yet unreleased new model Disco being roadtested with the black cloth all over it not once but 3 times.
That'll be the as-yet unreleased new model Defender, then
Old 04 August 2006, 11:45   #180
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Hey, all I know is the front looked like a wider lower current model disco

And... it didn't look much like this

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote