Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster
Rubbish! I live in a country where, until about 15 years ago, there were NO roads, not even unsurfaced ones. Everything was off road. Can anybody else claim that, even in Africa? What did we use? Land Rovers. People who want to go off road still do, like this

The three Land Rovers returned with barely a scratch. The guy with the Pajero spent about three hours with a sledgehammer straightening all his underbody guards ... tells its own story I think

Great big tubby Fords and Chevys would be totally useless because they weigh even more than a Discovery 3 so you would be climbing out the windows when you got to the first swamp
Hi Steven
There ain't no swamps in Arizona. Sooooo choose your vehicle for the purpose and environment you intend to use it in. Surely you must agree. Have had my Chevy ( 4wd , 3/4ton, Suburban.) for 13 years, has never let me down, brakes, a few batterys, tyres etc. and an alternator, new silencer only. Will tow a 26ft boat as if it was not there. Note: I do serious off road driving and it is big enough for two people to sleep in and carry 1 weeks worth of food, beer and camping gear. And, I can get a couple of shot 400lb. mule deer on the roof rack. Down side is the petrol consumption of a 5.7 ltr. engine

Old 04 August 2006, 21:09   #202

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Hi Steven.

Just looked at your photo's. Looks like a Safeways carpark to me !!

Old 04 August 2006, 21:29   #203

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
That thread says you got pulled out by a Pajero.
It does. However it doesn't say I pulled the Pajero out about four or five times and everybody else at least once oh and and it also doesn't say the Pajero driver was a complete nutter who had no regard whatsoever for the health of his vehicle, it is a good job the photos didn't have smell because "eau de clutch" is never nice

Linda - I agree. Horses for courses. But I still say my 90 would go anywhere your Suburban would (even if I would not, ever, try to sleep in it!), while the reverse would not be true

The seriously sexy US rock crawling trucks, now that is a whole different story and few if any LR will come close to the performance of those in their native environment. But they are hardly off the shelf items, and they would be no good here because you would drown. For serious off road use in our conditions a Defender is about the only factory 4x4 that can seriously perform off road with nothing more than a change of tyres, which is all that many vehicles here have got.

I'll call you next time I go to Safeways and you can come along believe me the photos do not do it justice and for many of the interesting bits I wasn't outside taking photos!
Old 04 August 2006, 23:28   #204

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda
I hate to be the 196th contributor to this thread but!!!. LR's are very popular in AZ, in fact there is a huge LR dealership about 5 miles from my home. They are considered fashionable yuppie vehicles usually driving by middle age blondes with silicon tits. The only off road use they get is Safeways carpark. LR's would NEVER be considered for serious off road use. Yes, they do have a good suspension system but that is about all. If you want to go climb mountains most people would buy a Chevy. or a Ford; but that is not quite as chinzy as a LR. but I guess it is dependant on your bra size. Perhaps we can divert this thread to something more interesting, like boobs, and then we could get another 196 posts.
Regards, To all
Funnily enough some Arizona LR owners may just disagree with you there!!!

http://www.azlro.org/index.php

They seem to do quite a bit of offroading!!!

http://www.azlro.org/photos/main.php?g2_itemId=3805
Old 04 August 2006, 23:33   #205

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster

The seriously sexy US rock crawling trucks, now that is a whole different story and few if any LR will come close to the performance of those in their native environment. But they are hardly off the shelf items, and they would be no good here because you would drown. For serious off road use in our conditions a Defender is about the only factory 4x4 that can seriously perform off road with nothing more than a change of tyres, which is all that many vehicles here have got.
Most of the Yank sites I have been on run twist off competitions - they measure RTI or ramp travel index to work out axle articulation. They all say LRs are the best un modded vehicles around. Of course you can then mod them just as far as the jeeps - if not further. The Ashcroft underdrive sells very well in the USA!!!
Old 05 August 2006, 04:48   #206

Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
To add to all this I'm in the market for a Defender 90. Cheap just as a run around.
http://www.witham-sv.com/infopage.php?ID=857&Overide=1
Old 05 August 2006, 04:51   #207

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Jimbo, I'm off up to York in September to look at some Ex MOD vehicles. They seem to have a few more than Withams to look at.

Wish there was somewhere down south to go.

Cheers Nick.
Old 05 August 2006, 06:04   #208

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Engine: 225 optimax
Falklands

I dont think the Falklands is a fair unbaised sample to use, the main reason Landrover is used apart from offroading, is a political reason , and an effort by the Islanders to support home grown industry, this is admirable, but not convincing.
I think that Landrover are enthuasist vehicles, most of my links are indeed from their enthausist sites, come on you dont buy a vehicle, then have to do a timing belt to cam gear train conversion, and not be an enthuasist.
No other brand or marque of vehicle has so much aftermarket spares, upgrades and mods, available to it.
The reason for this is simple, the stuff that rolled out of Longbridge needed this huge amount of changes, upgrades, and repairs to keep it going.

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2006, 06:16   #209

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin
I think that Landrover are enthuasist vehicles, most of my links are indeed from their enthausist sites, come on you dont buy a vehicle, then have to do a timing belt to cam gear train conversion, and not be an enthuasist.
No other brand or marque of vehicle has so much aftermarket spares, upgrades and mods, available to it.
The reason for this is simple, the stuff that rolled out of Longbridge needed this huge amount of changes, upgrades, and repairs to keep it going.
Somehow I agree. But isn't that part of the fun of owning a Landrover. I know that when I get one I shall be customising it. I just don't want to spend thousands on a new gearbox or bulkhead.
Old 05 August 2006, 07:43   #210

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin
...The reason for this is simple, the stuff that rolled out of Longbridge needed this huge amount of changes, upgrades, and repairs to keep it going.
Longbridge?...Numpty....