Old 05 August 2006, 23:37   #221

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I remember the JD Power survey often used to be won in the UK by Lada and Skoda - says it all really......
Old 05 August 2006, 23:41   #222
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
I remember the JD Power survey often used to be won in the UK by Lada and Skoda - says it all really......
You've just let me down Codders - by falling in to traditional Brand Stereotyping. The reason that Skoda do so well is that they are actually bloody good at making value for money cars and customer service (esp since being owned by VW). Afterall they are basically cheep golfs and passats.
Old 05 August 2006, 23:53   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
You've just let me down Codders - by falling in to traditional Brand Stereotyping. The reason that Skoda do so well is that they are actually bloody good at making value for money cars and customer service (esp since being owned by VW). Afterall they are basically cheep golfs and passats.
Err no not quite - notice I also mentioned Ladas??? I am talking about the OLD Skodas like the Estell and Rapide or something - Cold War crap the lot of them!!!

I had an Octavia and a Superb on hire for a while and they were nicer than the Passat!!!
Old 06 August 2006, 05:04   #224

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
There you go Codders - what I mentipned three weeks ago about Land Rover.
Sunday Times Business section , issue 06-08-06 , first page, this morning..

LAND ROVER TO GO IN JAGUAR SELL OFF

Made your offer yet?
Started a campain to keep LR in 'british' hands?

I told you it would finish up in China.

jonathan
Old 06 August 2006, 05:11   #225

I had an Octavia and a Superb on hire for a while and they were nicer than the Passat!!!

Quite agree. I have an Octavia estate 1.9 TDI on hire at the moment..

.....it is much cheaper to run than a Passat in all respects.-The only drawback is that it is smaller than a Passat,but build quality is nearly as good We have just retired a 2003Passat with 450.000 kms on the clock.But dont like the new one

Jonathan
Old 06 August 2006, 07:34   #226
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
Length: 5m +
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Quote:
Well the main reason perceived “lower quality” car manufactures do so well in the JD Power results is because it is all to do with a car coming up to that customers expectations.

So you spend £7k on a Lada and there is a squeak from the window as you wind it up. Mr Customer thinks… hey ho what can I expect for £7k.

You spend £70k on a Merc and the window squeaks. Mr Customer goes into see the servicing manager. And any thing less than a 100% fix of the issue at the 1st attempt just adds to the lack of satisfaction.

For the same reason I spotted a while back that BMW series owners rated their satisfaction with the performance as low. Why ? Because they all got them with the 1.8 motor, and expected 3.2 performances?

It all boils down to things living up to their marketing.
Old 06 August 2006, 10:41   #227

Part quote post from Limey Linda- not out of context

They are considered fashionable yuppie vehicles usually driving by middle age blondes with silicon tits.

Wow , just what i need. I am going to live in Arizona, Dry climate, laid back attitude, no government restrictions... just what my body needs.However probabaly buy a KIA SORENTO with the 230 hp engine...as LR will be in chinese or Arab hands. You havnt got any ports in Arizona??

Jonathan
Old 06 August 2006, 12:49   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by eupa
There you go Codders - what I mentipned three weeks ago about Land Rover.
Sunday Times Business section , issue 06-08-06 , first page, this morning..

LAND ROVER TO GO IN JAGUAR SELL OFF

Made your offer yet?
Started a campain to keep LR in 'british' hands?

I told you it would finish up in China.

jonathan
Ford are in big trouble as are all the Yank car makers. A combination of big old fashioned pick ups and spiralling costs of pension funds are mainly to blame. I think Ford would be stupid in the extreme to sell off LR with the money it's making them.
Old 06 August 2006, 13:49   #229

I think Ford would be stupid in the extreme to sell off LR with the money it's making them.

The current probelms of Ford and GM are not measured in a few thousand quid, Codders but BILLIONS of us$. LR contribution is but a drop in the ocean.

Here is a line of thought to you a great thinker......

The oil reserves of 'Russia' exceed those of Saudi. Arabia. Coupled with oil at 70$ a barrel- that means that 'russia' will amass unblievable captital assetts & cash. So what Karl Marx failed to do with ideology and Stalin and his descendents with violence - good old western capitalism will propel 'russia' to undrempt of power/ So all that money will be floating around looking for a home. Where else... but to buy up defunct western industry lock stock and barrel..So be prepared that the Russians will own Ford, GM, all the football clubs,harrods, ect, ect..... and there is nothing that anybody can do about it as they will be the ones with the bucks or should I say euros?.

Jonathan
Old 06 August 2006, 14:25   #230

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
How do I buy a bit of Mother Russia then ?

Preferably a bit with some black gold under the ground.
Old 06 August 2006, 16:18   #231

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
The current probelms of Ford and GM are not measured in a few thousand quid, Codders but BILLIONS of us$. LR contribution is but a drop in the ocean.
True but if you are in deep sh** then selling off one of the bits that DOES make money doesn't make any sense, and anybody who gets into selling assets to pay off short term debts is not going to last long at all....

It would be a shame if Ford sold them though. There has been a lot more positive influence under Ford than BMW ever managed, they just didn't understand LR at all.
Old 06 August 2006, 16:38   #232

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Ford are panicking because they've just been outsold in the USA by Toyota.
Old 06 August 2006, 16:50   #233

True but if you are in deep sh** then selling off one of the bits that DOES make money doesn't make any sense

You dont find "billions" overnight. The debt is gigantic and will not be solved in the near term ( 24 months). Stock will plummet ( actual) . Selling LR will solve the short term .. maybe. But the overriding problem is that Ford/GM do not have products that can compete with the likes of Toyota, et cie.You dont solve that overnight.Selling LR is just to stay solvent....

Jonathan
Old 06 August 2006, 16:55   #234

How do I buy a bit of Mother Russia then ?

Biggs - you should never have sold off your Tzarist - Romanov bonds in the first place. We told you that one day they would be worth a fortune.....

Tip: buy stock in BP. They seem to know where to place their bets. Advoid Shell

Jonathan
Old 06 August 2006, 17:07   #235

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Quote:
Err no not quite - notice I also mentioned Ladas??? I am talking about the OLD Skodas like the Estell and Rapide or something - Cold War crap the lot of them!!!

I havnt seen one of these cars for 20 years, are you suggesting that the survey group were wrong 20 years ago or are still wrong 20 years later, most Taxis I see are diesel Octavias ,has anyone ever been in a Freelander taxi or Landrover Disco?

There are several 7 seater Pajero taxis in Dublin and I jest you not

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 August 2006, 02:20   #236

Quote:
I think Ford would be stupid in the extreme to sell off LR with the money it's making them.

Here is a line of thought to you a great thinker......

The oil reserves of 'Russia' exceed those of Saudi. Arabia. Coupled with oil at 70$ a barrel- that means that 'russia' will amass unblievable captital assetts & cash. So what Karl Marx failed to do with ideology and Stalin and his descendents with violence - good old western capitalism will propel 'russia' to undrempt of power/ So all that money will be floating around looking for a home. Where else... but to buy up defunct western industry lock stock and barrel..So be prepared that the Russians will own Ford, GM, all the football clubs,harrods, ect, ect..... and there is nothing that anybody can do about it as they will be the ones with the bucks or should I say euros?.

Jonathan

I think you will find LRs profits were a bit more than a few thousand quid!!!

As to the oil price at $70 a barrel I just can't believe Bush and Blair's stupidity . Who benefits the most by their antics? Iran and Russia. Who suffers the most? The US and Britain!!!

Agree about BP - their power is amazing. The World's longest pipeline - BP. The biggest oilfield in the US - BP. The list is endless!!!
Old 07 August 2006, 11:56   #237

Who benefits the most by their antics? Iran and Russia. Who suffers the most? The US and

You aint got it have you Codders??- its just a ploy to get the Israelies to attack Iran and Syria i,e to do the US's job as they are too tied down in Iraq.

Russia can sit on the sidelines at the moment becaause thet are also bogged down with the Checkens. When you look at like this it makes sense.

jonathan
Old 07 August 2006, 11:59   #238

The World's longest pipeline - BP. The biggest oilfield in the US - BP. The list is endless!!!

Have herad that BP have probems with their pipeline out of Prudo Bay.. Sludge in the pipes.. which Ribster hasn't had the same problems??

Jonathan
Old 07 August 2006, 12:00   #239

Quote:
The World's longest pipeline - BP. The biggest oilfield in the US - BP. The list is endless!!!

Have herad that BP have probems with their pipeline out of Prudo Bay.. Sludge in the pipes.. which Ribster hasn't had the same problems??

Jonathan
Yes and the oil price has jumped by $7 just because of it - absolutely stupid - jittery markets is not the word for it - normally things like this happen it doesn't even make the news!!!
Old 09 August 2006, 19:44   #240

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Did anybody see the article today in the Irish Times motoring section,

The article was about buying second hand Pajeros, however towards the end of the article 4x4 capabilities came into it, the authour spoke about Pajero this, and Pajero that and then when comparing it to a Landrover, described Landrover as " Tempermental".
I have a good mind to write to the Irish Times , if the are going to write an article, at least get the wording right, they were far too easy on the Landrover IMHO

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote