Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 24 July 2006, 12:49   #101
Member
 
Kernow Buoy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy
I'm glad you like the D3, particularly as I was keen to like it when I was looking for a good tow car/family lugger/allround toy. I drove the D3, XC90, X5, Cayenne, RR Sport and a few others before buying my VW Touareg and I'm afraid that if you can't match anything to your D3 it's simply because you haven't driven much else. The Cayenne/Touareg is as capable off-road (unlike the XC90 and X5 and yes I have driven them off-road in comparison) and is FAR better on the road than all of them. Mine is also more economical than the D3 TD6, faster and better VFM (10k more for the equivalent D3 spec and servicing costs of nearly double that of the VW despite VW dealers uplifting their prices for Touareg servicing). It ended up being a no-brainer!
Of course there's also personal preference to include in the above, and a small matter of seating, just how am I going to get 7 of us in a 5 seater? read my post again I think you'll see I mention 'all rounder' the D3 is a people carrier as well.
__________________

__________________
Kernow Buoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2006, 13:12   #102
Member
 
randski's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cornwall
Make: Waveline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernow
and a small matter of seating, just how am I going to get 7 of us in
Buy a Landcruiser, 8 seats
__________________

__________________
Bob
randski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2006, 13:17   #103
Member
 
Country: Belgium
Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Do you not think it wise to get the oil changed?

Dicky boy-do it alll myself. Breaks/oil/electronics... costs so far 3 oil changes, filters/2 bulbs - under 100 quid. All 40000 miles with LPG.

Anyway , owe you one- had probs with one of my yams . Thanks to your detailed post some time ago had to change the water pump. Plate had buckled - giving bad circulation.

Bring you a crate of Duvel... one day soon I hope

Jonathan
__________________
eupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2006, 13:39   #104
Member
 
Kernow Buoy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by randski
Buy a Landcruiser, 8 seats
Now I'm hardly likely to listen to someone last seen doing an 18 stone impression of Michael Flatley tap dancing across Mollulnan beach at 60 mph am I?
__________________
Kernow Buoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2006, 14:14   #105
Member
 
Richard B's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by eupa
Bring you a crate of Duvel... one day soon I hope
Cheers, that's generous of you... Duvel is one of my favorites.... ...and strong! Anyway, I'm glad you found the post useful and hope you're as happy with your Yams as you are with the Kia
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2006, 14:28   #106
Member
 
randski's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cornwall
Make: Waveline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernow
Now I'm hardly likely to listen to someone last seen doing an 18 stone impression of Michael Flatley tap dancing across Mollulnan beach at 60 mph am I?
__________________
Bob
randski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2006, 14:40   #107
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,688
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by randski
Buy a Landcruiser, 8 seats
Being a little serious. Take the advice and buy a Landcruiser. Makes a LR look like a dried up, cracked turd. LRs' are becoming very popular in the US but are very unreliable. It's a status symbol thing resulting from promotions. Unless of course you can get an old one in good condition.
__________________
Running around like a head with it's chicken cut off.
Limey Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2006, 14:50   #108
Member
 
Richard B's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda
Makes a LR look like a dried up, cracked turd.
D'oh... that's done it! You're really off Codprawn's Christmas card list now!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2006, 17:01   #109
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy
I'm glad you like the D3, particularly as I was keen to like it when I was looking for a good tow car/family lugger/allround toy. I drove the D3, XC90, X5, Cayenne, RR Sport and a few others before buying my VW Touareg and I'm afraid that if you can't match anything to your D3 it's simply because you haven't driven much else. The Cayenne/Touareg is as capable off-road (unlike the XC90 and X5 and yes I have driven them off-road in comparison) and is FAR better on the road than all of them. Mine is also more economical than the D3 TD6, faster and better VFM (10k more for the equivalent D3 spec and servicing costs of nearly double that of the VW despite VW dealers uplifting their prices for Touareg servicing). It ended up being a no-brainer!
I can assure you the Touareg is NOT as capable offroad as a Discovery. On road yes but not offroad. Just look at the low profile alloys for a start. They tend not to perform very well when the rims/sidewalls keep blowing!!!

It has almost no "axle" articulation either. It is all very well having fancy traction control but you are still better off having a few wheels on the ground.

We took a Touareg on a short section of the Roman road but decided to leave Gap road in the Beacons well alone. The Discovery romped them quite easily.

Which Toureg was it - the V10 - a mate has had a few of them lent to his company now and they ARE lovely on road but that's about it. Still want to see that engine in a RIB though!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2006, 17:02   #110
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
D'oh... that's done it! You're really off Codprawn's Christmas card list now!
Come off it - to a Yorkshireman a dried up turd is something to admire!!!
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.