Old 21 December 2014, 20:31   #1

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Isuzu DMax

Hey guys thought I'd post up

My trusty 5 YO Rexton had come to the end of the line .. still working ok, but had a big stone chip on the windscreen ... centre exhaust section about to fall off .. leaking front diff seal .. various scrapes and body work dings from a good few years in the plant game ... the auto box had become snatchy .. and I kinda feared something was about to give ..... still quite a pretty barge for a part time spanner thrower like me but, it could only tow 2.8 so I looked about for a replacement.

Ive introduced a Rib net code to simplify some investigative work

Looked at a Ford Ranger ....... dealer price availabilty
VW Amarok ...spec dealer
Disco commercial dealer price somewhere on plant land rover

I did check out a few others ....but it was always the same story, price was garbage for what you got or the spec was not right in the areas that mattered.

So the Dmax .. I ended up with was a Utah Auto which is the upper end one with leather seats and climate control and had the vision pack fitted, which gives you a reversing camera and park sensors electric seat (driver only) and supposed surround sound.

All have the 2.5 twin turbo motor. I like an auto, as it one less thought to process when the phone is going off etc but ofcourse some manufacturers have the shift patterns worked out, but others dont. Have to say I'm quite impressed here, it shifts down often and shifts up when slowing down hill to use increased engine braking, something I first saw in a BMW X5 10 years ago, but its rubbish when the engine isnt hot, it labours massively when you prod it, its probably as lethargic as John Kennett after a few beers It will leave you lurching onto a busy round about with no power what so ever, and lots of drivers will be approaching you with a WTF? look on their face

In this guise the quoted 30 MPG is utter fantasy .. I'm getting around 19-22 much the same as the old 2.7 Rexton

Its a good tow pick up though, the solid rear axle makes for a more reassuring haul, and I have to say, is very soft on the ride. The seats however take away all the fun, they are like benches for a tall person like me, and don't have anywhere near enough rake back to give me thigh support.

Its nice though to have all my tools in a separate section behind the cabin though, I no longer have to listen to them rattling all through my journey every where I go, and the extra seats mean my daughter doesn't have to sit on a tool box anymore with no seat belt if I needed to pick her up from school (i sound like a right Pikey )

5 year warranty too or every 12000 miles for service .. but the buggers have skimped here and there,.. rear wheels are drum braked and the door facias are plastic city, so if you do like your beats, expect a throb of plastic rattle with every one !

The fuel guage is another gripe .. it will say 80 miles left in the tank when you get home, but park it on a slope and it will flash emergency fuel reserve next time you start it .. a bit rubbish really, restart on a level slope and everything is fine.

Steering lock isnt great either so you'll need a few cuts to do your usual park ups, but some of that has to do with the wheel base length as its quite a big bus actually.

If you dont like using your mirrors for reversing ,forget this if you fit it with a hard canopy on the rear you'll have next to no vision, no problem for me as an HGV driver, but not for the faint hearted if a trailer is attached. With the vision pack you'd expect the camera to assist,(without a trailer) but in reality its picture on the dash is poor with any muck on the camera obscuring the picture badly, and its rubbish in low light .. so not impressed with that option too much and gets mucky very quickly.

On the whole I'm satisfied, but not really 'impressed'

thought you guys would like to know .. a soozie was a brand to be rekoned with .. but the rexton wasnt a half bad tool either

Edit .. forgot to say .. had it offroad last week in a really muddy field and nothing special there either, but I havent checked out tyres and stuff yet which is pretty vital for this sort of thing
Old 21 December 2014, 20:40   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
...but park it on a slope...
Jeremy Clarkson would sympathise with you

Thanks for the write up - I need to make some hard decisions about the 110 in the middle future, and that all helps
Old 21 December 2014, 20:47   #3

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Thanks for the write up - I need to make some hard decisions about the 110 in the middle future, and that all helps
hehe That shouldnt be hard for all its faults Isuzu will make sure your feet wont get wet after leaving it a night in the rain unlike a 110
Old 21 December 2014, 20:51   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
hehe That shouldnt be hard for all its faults Isuzu will make sure your feet wont get wet after leaving it a night in the rain unlike a 110
Jeeze dude - that's both harsh and prophetic. Mrs willk sat into the 110 today and found herself stiletto deep in a puddle. It has to end
Old 21 December 2014, 22:01   #5

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Ha Ha can't be any worse than my 130 I have to plan which way to go to some customers as it won't go round some narrow sharp corners think its a 100' turning circle
Old 22 December 2014, 08:01   #6

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Turn circles, you guys don't know when you're well off, try turning thisClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1419238879.138136.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	101728 or maybe thisClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1419238907.891457.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	101729

Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
Old 01 September 2015, 07:31   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Dmax

Like I said above - it hadda end. The 110, a trusty auld baste that carried us over hills, floods and snows through many adventures is officially retired and there's a new Dmax on the drive.

She hasn't been introduced to the willkcraft yet so it's too early to comment on her towing ability/manners but I'll update you later in the month.

First impressions are good but stepping out of a 110 after 18 years, they would be! Being of normal human proportions, I find the seating very comfortable and being able to HEAR the stereo while underway is a revelation. I actually put diesel in the tank so can't comment on the duff fuel gauge

More seriously, the decider was the towing capacity and the price - 3500kg and well cheap! The "localish" dealer is a sound bloke which helped swing it. The "local" local dealer couldn't be arsed calling me back with a price so guess who lost the sale and every service for the next decade?
First impressions are sturdy mechanics, very flimsy body panels and plasticky interior trim. Our model here is the Crew Cab LS and the space in the back seat is huge - plenty of room for grown men in there. The load tray is decent and will take a ton of gear - literally. GTW is over 6 tons. I went Manual - so a 6 speed box - still getting used to the gear change and I'm struggling with finding reverse. Turning and parking is easier than in the 110, although this is a bigger beast with less defined corners!

The thing I like most about it is that there is no Internal Precipitation Cycle and it's comparatively quiet on the road. What I don't like about it is that Mrs willk quite fancies driving it....
Old 01 September 2015, 07:45   #8

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
A friend of mine has just bought one in white with black alloys. It looks dead smart and they're amazing value.
Old 01 September 2015, 08:20   #9

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Ive been looking at a few 4x4 options to replace my Toyota landcruiser, plenty of reviews on here New & Used Boat Sales - Find Boats For Sale Online - boatsales.com.au

JonD
Old 01 September 2015, 10:32   #10
Redbay supporter

Town: onn de moov
Boat name: bote
Make: kevvin
Engine: jett dryve
Quote:
and found herself stiletto deep in a puddle.
I downt fukin beeleev itt.

mi muvver ownly getts hir stiletoos owt faw cownty donigals anyewal doggin festivul.

nawmully itts grean wellis an a donky jakkit.

Wher doo I beegin?😃
wiLlfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 September 2015, 13:12   #11
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
Ive been looking at a few 4x4 options to replace my Toyota landcruiser, plenty of reviews on here New & Used Boat Sales - Find Boats For Sale Online - boatsales.com.au

JonD
Thanks, I'd actually read most of those before buying - the Aussies seem to write a lot of reviews!

The vehicle spec is different here however, more torque from a 2.5L engine and very different overall finishes. Same basic truck though. Toyota currently don't have the required plated towing capacity here, so were out of the running, which is a shame. I'd have happily bought an Amarok, Hi-lux, Ranger, etc. had the weights and finances stacked up.
Old 01 September 2015, 13:47   #12
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
If I recall there was rather a LOT of tools, and boating related bits and bobs in the back of your Landy... any room for all that stuff in the new ride? Does it have a tool chest for the back?
Old 01 September 2015, 15:32   #13
RIBnet Supporter

It does now! First upgrade along with mud trays, a cow mat load liner and waterproof seat covers.
Old 02 September 2015, 18:31   #14

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Thought you would have waited for the new Defender to come along
Old 03 September 2015, 10:12   #15

Town: West Bromwich
Boat name: Ellie V
Make: Excel Voyager 520
Engine: Evinrude 75 HP
MMSI: 235 908 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
Turn circles, you guys don't know when you're well off, try turning thisAttachment 101728 or maybe thisAttachment 101729

Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
I have to turn this on occasions

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1441275145.251242.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	108344
steco1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2015, 21:18   #16

Let's 'ave a look at this Gaylord of a pick-up then!
Old 21 September 2015, 10:43   #17
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Let's 'ave a look at this Gaylord of a pick-up then!
I'm afraid that it looks like every other Far Eastern pickup on the roads. No more waves for me from children and tourists. No more getting allowed out into traffic by landy owners and farmers.

She is giving me 33.5mpg on mixed driving, so happy with that! I like the heated seats and aircon too. Oh, and the stereo - I can hear it when under way. I think I got soft a long time ago and the transportation is catching up at last!

Her "Rite of Passage" is later this week
Old 21 September 2015, 11:23   #18

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
I'm afraid that it looks like every other Far Eastern pickup on the roads. No more waves for me from children and tourists. No more getting allowed out into traffic by landy owners and farmers.

She is giving me 33.5mpg on mixed driving, so happy with that! I like the heated seats and aircon too. Oh, and the stereo - I can hear it when under way. I think I got soft a long time ago and the transportation is catching up at last!

Her "Rite of Passage" is later this week
I see that you have ditched the L.R. for a more reliable mode of transport then willk
Old 21 September 2015, 14:02   #19

Quote:
I like the heated seats
It's September man!! What are you gonna do when it gets cold, fit a woodburner?!
Old 02 November 2015, 20:07   #20
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
She hasn't been introduced to the willkcraft yet so it's too early to comment on her towing ability/manners but I'll update you later in the month.
OK - a couple of hundred towing miles later...

The Defender was an 18yo 110 300Tdi with a nominal 126hp available.
The Dmax is spankers with 163hp and a shed load of torque on tap.

On the hard and flat, the Dmax is very much superior to the Deafener while towing the full legal limit of 3500kgs (+). She still can carry another 500kg in the tray - I've probably damn nearly reached the 6.5 tons train weight and still she takes inclines that the Defender would have baulked at. Braking and handling is considerably better - but the main difference is in straight pulling power.

The Defender couldn't make as tight a cut while reversing.

However, the Defender totally outclasses the Dmax in low-box work - on slips, gravel and horsing the load around on poor surfaces it is unequalled.

Am I a happy camper - sure I am