Jus

Town: Wiltshire
Boat name: At Lantic
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: Evinrude Etec 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I am not a lover of cars like that - I remember driving an Imprezza up a steep hill through a quiet little village - either 1st gear and the engine screaming or 2nd gear but you had to be doing about 50mph - not funny on such tiny roads!!!
What were you towing? I've towed my old 5m up some steep cornish hills without having to scream the engine.

They're only noisy because they've usually got a loud aftermarket exhaust fitted, which won't help if you're concerned about waking the neighbours.
Old 10 October 2007, 10:32   #22

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
What were you towing? I've towed my old 5m up some steep cornish hills without having to scream the engine.

They're only noisy because they've usually got a loud aftermarket exhaust fitted, which won't help if you're concerned about waking the neighbours.
I wasn't even towing. It was a really steep hill and basically power was only coming in over about 3,000 rpm. In first no problem but too big a gap between 1st and 2nd ratio - change into 2nd and the engine would bog down - unl;ess you are going fast.

It's not just Imprezzas that suffer from this - many modern cars with high revving engines do. Compare that with a LR with a V8 petrol engine and no turbo - you can pull out of roundabouts in 4th gear no problem.
Old 10 October 2007, 11:50   #23
Jus

Town: Wiltshire
Boat name: At Lantic
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: Evinrude Etec 75
Quote:
I wasn't even towing. It was a really steep hill and basically power was only coming in over about 3,000 rpm. In first no problem but too big a gap between 1st and 2nd ratio - change into 2nd and the engine would bog down - unl;ess you are going fast.

It's not just Imprezzas that suffer from this - many modern cars with high revving engines do. Compare that with a LR with a V8 petrol engine and no turbo - you can pull out of roundabouts in 4th gear no problem.
Mine is at peak torque at 3000rpm and is well below rpm limit of 7,500. If it wasn't for the fact it has a free flowing exhaust it would also be civilised noise-wise at these revs!

It will never match a LR V8 for really low down torque but it makes up for that with fun!
Old 31 December 2007, 11:31   #24

Town: SE England
Length: 6m +
I have various Impreza Turbos for the last 10 years. With a previous Ribcraft4.8 it was a great tow car point to point, never had to use it on really steep inclines but would imagine one would need a few revs to get it going.
My present WRX Sti with all the Prodrive bits and bobs on may not be ideal as I have a new 6metre Humber coming shortly and that is just about on the limit for towing weightwise.
So now looking at the Navara!!!
Old 31 December 2007, 13:50   #25

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
My mate has a Navara and is very pleased with it - says it's much nicer than the Warrior he had before. Bit thirsty though - he has the auto and gets about 20 - 22mpg.

Towing limit is 2700kg which is pretty useful but the LRs go to 3500kg, Should be fine for a Humber 6m though!!!
Old 01 January 2008, 08:47   #26
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
My mate has a Navara and is very pleased with it - says it's much nicer than the Warrior he had before. Bit thirsty though - he has the auto and gets about 20 - 22mpg.

Towing limit is 2700kg which is pretty useful but the LRs go to 3500kg, Should be fine for a Humber 6m though!!!
My Nav does 28 and i push it hard
22 with the rib on, 17-18 if I,m late up
31 on long runs or if the wife drives it
Old 01 January 2008, 15:34   #27
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
My Nav does 28 and i push it hard
22 with the rib on, 17-18 if I,m late up
31 on long runs or if the wife drives it
I reckon yours is helped by that rather cool 'truckman' top you've got over the bed though as it looks significantly more aerodynamic than the standard tops or an open bed.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 January 2008, 15:42   #28
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Quote:

Very pleased with my Navara, very comfortable, heated seats, cruise etc averaging 24-30mpg, tows brilliantly, so far 8500 miles in three months and not had any trouble with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01005.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	32087