Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 25 March 2008, 19:16   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
If only everything was as reliable as a VW

I posted not long ago about my woes with a hired VW Passat and it's stupid handbrake and the fact it was so slow.

Well by a really bizzare coicidence a mate of mine just phoned to tell me that his company Passat has broken down and guess what hire car he's ended up with - yup the one I had!!!

His Passat was the same spec but the 140hp model - much better. The reason for the breakdown is a faulty fuel pump - at about 11,000 miles. Apparently there are none in the UK either so he will have a long wait.

He told me this is a very common problem on new Passats along with clutch and handbrake problems. had a look on the forums and he was quite right.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=29581

His previous car was a Rover 75 estate which did 145,000 miles with no probs at all.........
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2008, 21:44   #2
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I posted not long ago about my woes with a hired VW Passat and it's stupid handbrake and the fact it was so slow.

Well by a really bizzare coicidence a mate of mine just phoned to tell me that his company Passat has broken down and guess what hire car he's ended up with - yup the one I had!!!

His Passat was the same spec but the 140hp model - much better. The reason for the breakdown is a faulty fuel pump - at about 11,000 miles. Apparently there are none in the UK either so he will have a long wait.

He told me this is a very common problem on new Passats along with clutch and handbrake problems. had a look on the forums and he was quite right.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=29581

His previous car was a Rover 75 estate which did 145,000 miles with no probs at all.........
Kinda makes you wonder how those Krauts came so close to almost winning WW2 doesn't it? Eh Cod?
__________________

__________________
pathalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2008, 00:30   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalla View Post
Kinda makes you wonder how those Krauts came so close to almost winning WW2 doesn't it? Eh Cod?
I assume you are winding me up again??? Ok I'll bite!!!

Look at the Centurion tank - still used by the Israelis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion_tank

And the De Havilland Vampire/Venom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Vampire

Both came out in 1945 - i wonder how the Germans would have faired against them?

And as a final mention there is Dr Taffy Bowen from my home town of Swansea - even people in Swansea haven't heard of him and yet Admiral Doenitz said that he was responsible for ending the U boat war!!!

He also designed many huge radio telescopes - including the one at Parkes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_George_Bowen
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2008, 09:35   #4
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I assume you are winding me up again??? Ok I'll bite!!!

Look at the Centurion tank - still used by the Israelis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion_tank

And the De Havilland Vampire/Venom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Vampire

Both came out in 1945 - i wonder how the Germans would have faired against them?

And as a final mention there is Dr Taffy Bowen from my home town of Swansea - even people in Swansea haven't heard of him and yet Admiral Doenitz said that he was responsible for ending the U boat war!!!

He also designed many huge radio telescopes - including the one at Parkes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_George_Bowen
Yes.... I confess, I WAS winding you up, (lol) Dieter? Just kidding!!!!
Hows the boat fairing with the weather? No more broken dock lines one would hope?
__________________
pathalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2008, 14:47   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Thought so!!!

Boat ok at the moment but guess what - more rain and gales this weekend - just for a change.............
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2008, 19:03   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,916
It must be a bad day for you Codders what with TaTa buying Land Rover .
I wonder if they will introduce body panels that rust as well as thier pick ups did
__________________
ian parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2008, 19:15   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
It must be a bad day for you Codders what with TaTa buying Land Rover .
I wonder if they will introduce body panels that rust as well as thier pick ups did
It really pisses me off - 1 billion is TINY in corporate takeovers - British companies do far bigger deals every day - like the British mining company in a $140 billion deal.

With the new jag coming out along with the success of LR Ford are ONLY selling because they are in such a mess.

The cars will still be built in Britain - the Indians would be fools to try to change it!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2008, 19:25   #8
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,688
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Bet the next LR model comes with a chapati warmer
__________________
Running around like a head with it's chicken cut off.
Limey Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2008, 08:12   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Funnily enough the Discovery 2 came with a "curry hook" basically designed for hanging carrier bags from takeaways!!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2008, 18:12   #10
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,924
RIBase
hope once more...

As the Keeper of a 300TDi, I'm well pleased Tata bought us from the Americans (and I like Americans, on general principles - hey, it was the Yermins before that). We've had the Cowboys, now let's give the Indians a chance. I just hope that it guarantees parts 'n' panels for the rest of my natural life! Kinda like the Brazilian Beetles?
__________________

__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.