Old 13 March 2008, 14:00   #1

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Gas guzzler road tax

I suppose everyone has heard about the new massive increases in road tax? The media keep saying it's only for gas guzzlers and loads of people have said we need to get "big" vehciles off the roads.

What is a gas guzzler? Yes I suppose a 4L V8 could be classed as one but these new changes mean that 88% of all cars will have to pay more tax. It seems anything over a 1.8L is now a gas guzzler.................
Old 13 March 2008, 14:20   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
What's the cost for vehicles that are pre-co2 figures? I can't find the right numbers anywhere. Even DVLA haven't updated them.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2008, 14:24   #3

Not a clue they are being deliberately wooly on it. I do know that eventually you will have to pay £950 for tax on a new car in it's first year!!!

What this will mean is a load of bigger cars with stupidly small engines that are dangerously slow and will actually use MORE fuel as you have to thrash them so much...................
Old 13 March 2008, 15:57   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Not a clue they are being deliberately wooly on it. I do know that eventually you will have to pay £950 for tax on a new car in it's first year!!!

What this will mean is a load of bigger cars with stupidly small engines that are dangerously slow and will actually use MORE fuel as you have to thrash them so much...................
I doubt it - the majority of new "big" cars are companies cars - so not sure it will actually make any significant decision to peoples "buying decisions". If it does the "sin" tax will have worked - in general sin taxes aren't particulalry effective at changing behaviour.
Old 13 March 2008, 16:30   #5
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
What's the cost for vehicles that are pre-co2 figures? I can't find the right numbers anywhere. Even DVLA haven't updated them.
The AA website has:

Quote:
Cars registered before March 2001

In many cases the emissions test data is simply not available for cars registered before March 2001, so, the rate of VED can't be linked to CO2 emissions. Yet, there are still discounts to be had for smaller cars. If the engine capacity is 1,549cc or less, you'll pay £120 (up £5 from the 2007/8 rate of £115) compared to £185 (up £5 from the 2007/8 rate of £180) per year if the engine's over 1,549cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
I do know that eventually you will have to pay £950 for tax on a new car in it's first year!!!
only on cars > 255 g CO2 per km - which is actually not that many. There a "sliding scale" below that, so e.g. a 1.8L "family car" might have emissions of 186 g/km. And will pay an extra £155 in the first year (as the headline £425 figure for that new band actually includes the road tax, which will be £270 the following year).
Old 13 March 2008, 17:15   #6

Town: watford
Boat name: The Bandit &
Make: Hunton Rib
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 8.1 Mercruisers
for the last couple of years they said its for 4x4 total rubbish my Range Rover 4.4 petrol road tax is £205 my lexus 400 with a 4 litre is the same however a 300 lexus driver came up to me moaning he was paying over £300 and that had a 3litre engine
Old 13 March 2008, 17:30   #7

Remember many countries like Spain have no road tax - it's on the fuel - AND their fuel is cheaper than our...........
Old 13 March 2008, 17:30   #8

Town: Bursledon
Boat name: Mustard
Make: Ribeye 785
Engine: Yamaha 200/Merc 6
MMSI: 235068693
Quote:

Oh! I see, more revenue from road fuel on smallerengined cars.

It is all so transparent an predictable.

Ever tried pulling a seven metre rib up a slipway with a Prius??
Old 13 March 2008, 17:37   #9

Don't you mean a Pious??? One of our customers had one - he used to rave about it - now he's driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee - the 6.1 HEMI V8 engine SRT!!!
Old 13 March 2008, 18:37   #10
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Remember many countries like Spain have no road tax -
really - I think you will find that is wrong... ...its a local tax. they also have about 2000km of toll roads.
Old 13 March 2008, 22:29   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
really - I think you will find that is wrong... ...its a local tax. they also have about 2000km of toll roads.
The toll roads are a classic example of why they don't work. In Southern Spain there is a road that runs along the coast that is now bypassed by a toll road. There was almost no traffic on the toll road but the standard road was nose to tail - especially with big lorries. Obviously nobody is prepared to pay for them - especially commercial users.

You are right about a local tax on cars - it varies between 50 and 100 Euros a year. My mate lived there for 4 years and never paid anything because his car was on British plates!!!
Old 14 March 2008, 00:01   #12
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
The AA website has:
Cheers Polwart. I think I'll be keeping my little 2.8 litre tank for a few years more then.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2008, 13:38   #13

Make: very little ribtec
Length: under 3m
Engine: Johnson 15hp
A couple of useful links:

DVLA website which will tell you your CO2 emissions (if you can't find your V5), just input the registration number of your car and the make....
http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/Evl...ehicle+Enquiry

The budget report for vehicle tax, direct from the horse's mouth....
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/News...2008/DG_073093

Nick.
Old 19 March 2008, 13:57   #14

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Engine: Volvo KAD44
sin tax..

my rs6 chucks out 350g/km so sits in the top bracket and today put 6 months tax on at £115..given the car's depreciating at about £400 per month and it costs over £80 to fill up with fuel each time, even next years increases will be insignificant in the overall running costs..seems to be just a few more pennies for the treasury, justified (probably rightly) by the environmental impact of more poluting cars..
Old 23 March 2008, 01:15   #15

I have a woodburner in the house - don't even use gas and only use coppiced wood - therefore my household carbon footprint is FAR lower than most so why should I pay more for my car??? I reckon I should get free petrol as my house is so green!!!
Old 26 March 2008, 12:11   #16

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Pre march 2001 is the way to go.

320hp twin turbo v6 and only £200 ish per year VED
Old 31 March 2008, 21:51   #17

Town: Staffs
Make: Yam FX160 HO
Engine: Flippin Fast
Tax riddled UK

Quote:
I suppose everyone has heard about the new massive increases in road tax? The media keep saying it's only for gas guzzlers and loads of people have said we need to get "big" vehciles off the roads.

What is a gas guzzler? Yes I suppose a 4L V8 could be classed as one but these new changes mean that 88% of all cars will have to pay more tax. It seems anything over a 1.8L is now a gas guzzler.................
Increase in road tax , Increase in fuel tax duty , Increase in parking fines (I have a good plan, lets implement fines through CCTV now and create more revenue for the Government coffers), Increase in council tax , increase in utility bills , increase in insurance premiums , increase in food bills , but hey ho, the great british public keep stumping up the money. We knock the French, but I know like you all do what they would be doing about these increases.
How come this little s**t of a country has to lead the way for all other countries that do not follow suit
Old 31 March 2008, 23:07   #18

Town: Deventer
Make: Zodiac pro 530
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 90hp 1992
waverunner.

You never been to Holland before? Just the same... he ho what can we do ....thats the reaction of most people over here. still just "not" capable to pay there house mortgage so why strike or block the roads they are afraid to lose there jobs.
Oh and that magic word "environment" and "Nature" thats the most tax we beginning to pay for and it isn't used for that. most of it go's to the goverment
Old 01 April 2008, 06:56   #19

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by waverunner View Post
Increase in road tax , Increase in fuel tax duty , Increase in parking fines (I have a good plan, lets implement fines through CCTV now and create more revenue for the Government coffers), Increase in council tax , increase in utility bills , increase in insurance premiums , increase in food bills , but hey ho, the great british public keep stumping up the money. We knock the French, but I know like you all do what they would be doing about these increases.
How come this little s**t of a country has to lead the way for all other countries that do not follow suit
OK, I'll bite

Road tax - I've just changed to a diesel, so mine is going down this year.

Fuel tax - IIRC the tax rise due was delayed. All the major rises are due to the oil companies. They mus be p***ing themselves, they put the prices (and their profits) up and everyone whinges about the government! Of course the oil companies don't make any money from road fuel .

Parking fines - think I got one about 15 years ago, so makes no difference to me. If someone clones my plates I will be p***ed off, other than that, don't care.

Council tax - yep, that's going up, not by much around here though.

Utility bills, insurance, food bills - welcome to the free market economy. Hands up all those who thought flogging off our utility companies was a good idea? A lot of people made a little money, a few people made a lot of money. The rest of us get shafted now that all our major industry is owned by foreign companies.

At the end of the day, we live in a democracy. If you would rather live in a country where the government has to pander to the self interest group with the most tractors / biggest lorries / greatest willingness to set fire to things then fine - me, I think I'll pass. We used to have a system like that, it was called 'the 1970s'.

Cheers

Chris

ps www.wtf.com
Old 01 April 2008, 10:50   #20

Major rises due to the oil companies? I think you will find it's the world situation that causes the oil price to rise. Oil was down to $14 a barrel just before the Iraq war - says it all really.

Oh yes they delayed yet another tax rise. The price of petrol in the UK without tax is about 40p per litre - I could live with that!!! The oil companies have to find it - refine it - pay tax on it - distribute it and sell it - all for 40p - don't mind that at all..........

Parking charges - if you don't park illegally you won't get caught eh? What about all the car parks that are closing? Buildings being built and not allowed to have sufficient parking - yellow lines being put down where they have never been before etc etc?

I really am stunned by your attitude on fuel prices - blaming oil companies instead of the people who really deserve the blame - no wonder they have stayed in power so long...........