Old 07 January 2010, 02:45   #1

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Freelander 2 amazing

As explained in my other thread a woman hit my Discovery and damaged a rear wheel and tyre. ONLY damage was to the alloy - no bodywork damage at all - even the garage hasn't seen anything like it.

After hitting my car she reversed back and hit the woman behind as well. Her insurance company - Churchill - have been fantastic to me. They couldn't get a new alloy and with Christmas and New Year along with the weather I have had the Freelander for FIVE weeks now!!!

I was a bit peeved getting a Freelander instead of a Discovery 4 but to be honest it is far far better than I ever thought it would be.

Towed a mate's BMW 530d up a steep snowy hill yesterday - he couldn't move an inch. Traction control and HDC make it so much easier. of course it wouldn't be so good over really rough ground but is far better than most people would need.

For some reason the hire company have chosen the very top model for their fleet - £34,500 - for the same money you could have a Disco4 which is mad.

On wet roads with loads of standing water the Freelander 2 is the most stable car I have driven - no aquaplaning or anything.

Heated leather seats have been great whilst I have had kidney trouble.

Only bad points.

1. Annoying bing bing bing if you take the seatbelt off for even a second.

2. Doors lock automatically when you move - annoying when someone gets out to open a gate.

3. Fuel consumption - 27mpg is not good for a modern diesel - auto is to blame - manual gets 42mpg.

A big glass roof is a stupid idea on any car - too hot in hot countries - too cold over here - ice make hell of a noise on a glass roof!!!

They have finally sorted my Disco out - couldn't get a new alloy so have bought me a complete set!!! No wonder we pay so much for insurance.

Really don't want to give this Freelander back now. Feels very similar to drive to my mates Porsche Cayenne - just with a tad less power!!!
Old 07 January 2010, 05:17   #2

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Freelander...far far better than I ever thought it would be.

2. Doors lock automatically when you move - annoying when someone gets out to open a gate.

3. Fuel consumption - 27mpg is not good for a modern diesel - auto is to blame - manual gets 42mpg.

A big glass roof is a stupid idea on any car - too hot in hot countries - too cold over here - ice make hell of a noise on a glass roof!!!
We've had 3 Freelanders...all have been as good as you describe

The drive away locking can be turned off Sadly, the seat belt warning cannot, but the feature - like on all cars where it's fitted - counts towards the vehicles insurance safety & security rating and so helps keep insurance costs down.

Quite like the glass roof but it's a personal thing. Not had any trouble during hot (!) summers...the glass is heavily tinted and heat absorbing. We've never shut the blind. Don't find it cold, either.

We've had two autos...over 20,000 miles they turned in just over 30mpg. The manual, 33mpg. I've not had a manual 'stop-start' model but that would only give a couple of mpg more at best in the real world - engines don't use that much fuel at idle. (Our Disco 3 and 4 both managed around 25mpg)
Old 07 January 2010, 08:12   #3

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
Sadly, the seat belt warning cannot, but the feature - like on all cars where it's fitted - counts towards the vehicles insurance safety & security rating and so helps keep insurance costs down.
That surprises me. I managed to turn it off on my Audi, even though the garage insisted it couldn't be. Obviously one of those safety features they'd rather not
tell you can be disabled. The wonders of the internet and a laptop with diagnostic cable.
Old 07 January 2010, 08:37   #4

Town: Bedford
Came down A1 from Peterborough last night, very little traffic, roads clear and gritted. Last 5 miles was on side roads with dusting of snow, some rutted patches and ice. Used the snow setting on TC and had absolutely no problems other than slow moving BMWs and Audis.
Averaged 39.5 mpg for journey at an average of 65-70 on A1 and 40 - 50 on side roads on a TD4 manual without stop start.
Old 07 January 2010, 08:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
That surprises me. I managed to turn it off on my Audi, even though the garage insisted it couldn't be. Obviously one of those safety features they'd rather not
tell you can be disabled. The wonders of the internet and a laptop with diagnostic cable.
Insurance Group rating is calculated using a points system as a combination of safety - the ability to avoid an accident and how a vehicle performs if there is one - and how easy, or not, it is to repair the vehicle afterwards...plus, security - the degree of difficulty there is in stealing a vehicle or its contents.

There are also extra points for things like 'belt minders', as they're referred to, on the basis that it costs less to 'repair' a belted occupant than an unbelted one

As belt minder systems are usually software driven - from weight sensors in seats, position sensors in seat belt buckles, etc, it is 'easy' to disable them if you have the know how and the laptop. The Audi dealer would not be authorised to disable a safety feature, and nor should he.

If the belt minder system had the ability to be disabled, the insurance rating points system would consider it as good as not fitted. The insurance rating would be higher, your insurance costs would go up. Simples.
Old 07 January 2010, 08:56   #6

TBH, how many people actually forget to put their belt on these days. The people that don't wear them know full well that they haven't got them on. As Codders said, the chiming it makes when you take it off to reverse manouevre or jump out to open a gate or such like is extremely annoying. That is the only reason I disabled mine, nothing to do with wanting to drive without it.
Old 07 January 2010, 09:39   #7

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Took our D3 out last night in some fairly dodgy conditions, it stuck like glue. The auto locking can be cancelled on the comp Codders.

It's very dicey around here this morning. I went out in my old L200, as a bump would be less painfull, it coped well with care.

Falmouth is close to shut-down in places now. I found a Golf on it's roof and trucks stuck against hedges etc.
Old 07 January 2010, 09:55   #8

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
Typically, my Grand Cherokee is off the road with a bottom ball joint issue...So have been using a Cherokee we have (newer shape) 3.7v6. A little thirsty (though not as bad as the GC on petrol) and not permanent 4wd like the GC.

However, with the 4wd engaged I've been really impressed with it....a fair bit lighter than the GC and seems easier to control in the slippy stuff.

Reliabliity hasn't been great with my GC (90K miles now) and I don't know what the long term cost of ownership with the Cherry would be, but am always amazed at how cheap these are to buy for the capability /comfort (we bought it at auction a couple of years ago as we needed something to tow a trailer as a stop gap due to a problematic Range Rover). It's done 40K now and still hasn't put a foot wrong so has never been sold....

Glad to hear you're on the mend Codders....looking forward to getting the new engine...transport courtesy of Speedshift (have your lorries got snow chains? )

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 January 2010, 14:14   #9

Nah but my mate who owns the local depot has a Landie with a snow plough - couldn't fit it to his Porsche!!!!
Old 07 January 2010, 15:47   #10

Town: Cork
Boat name: Kilise
Make: Excalibur
Length: 9m +
Engine: Volvo D6 350hp
Quote:
Only bad points.

When you turn on ignition insert belt buckle in and out 9 times to de-activate bell.

To reactivate just reverse procedure.

Old 07 January 2010, 17:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baydreamer View Post
When you turn on ignition insert belt buckle in and out 9 times to de-activate bell.

To reactivate just reverse procedure.

Like it - if you do it 10 times it probably blows it!!!

I seem to remember some strange hack for the Discovery3 - it has a webasto style diesel heater - apparently some radio code would enable or disable the preheat mode. I think they decided that you would have to buy a Range Rover to get the option of having a preheat facility so the car is nice and warm for you in the morning.

Also the D3 only had 1 touch windows on the driver's side - the old Discovery had it on both - mad!!!

Typical I learn this when it's going back tomorrow - have been too ill to use it as much as I would have liked but still managed to put 2,500 miles on it.
Old 07 January 2010, 17:37   #12

Quote:
Also the D3 only had 1 touch windows on the driver's side - the old Discovery had it on both - mad!!!
No it didn't. It has one touch on all four doors. And so does D4
Old 07 January 2010, 19:15   #13

Town: Cornwall
Quote:
Like it - if you do it 10 times it probably blows it!!!

I seem to remember some strange hack for the Discovery3 - it has a webasto style diesel heater - apparently some radio code would enable or disable the preheat mode. I think they decided that you would have to buy a Range Rover to get the option of having a preheat facility so the car is nice and warm for you in the morning.

Typical I learn this when it's going back tomorrow - have been too ill to use it as much as I would have liked but still managed to put 2,500 miles on it.
Hi Codders.
Welcome back, glad your better. I assumed you'd got your knee stuck under the Defender!
The first D3's had the software in to allow the Webasto heater to be set via the computer but it was never intended to be used, as soon as you locked the car and it went to sleep the settings went with it Some bright spark then found that the radio power also powered the timer so leaving the radio on with muted volume and you came out to a warm car and engine. The software was removed about a year after launch during the enhancement update. Several D3 owners have installed a seperate timer to activate the heater.
Old 07 January 2010, 20:53   #14

All this talk of Landrovers is making me feel even worse.

I waved goodbye four hours ago to my trusty 300tdi (OK, maybe not so trusty, it wasn't in fine health!) and am now driving a depressing 'family' car.

If any of you good people upgrade to a RR or a D4 or similar, and have an old Disco/Defender that needs a good home...
Old 07 January 2010, 23:29   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
No it didn't. It has one touch on all four doors. And so does D4
The D3 I drove didn't for some strange reason!!!
Old 08 January 2010, 10:04   #16

Quote:
The D3 I drove didn't for some strange reason!!!
If the battery has been disconnected on my car for any reason the one-touch operation of each window has to be reactivated by fully opening and then closing each window and then holding the close button for a further second.
Old 08 January 2010, 12:00   #17

Town: Dun Laoghaire
Make: Crompton
Length: 7m +
Engine: YamF150
RIBase
My LR3 does not do one touch either,
All of these processes to get stuff to work sound suspiciously like the computer game cheats kids use to get extra powers in mario kart etc..
Maybe some programmer in the land rover chip factory has a twisted sense of humour!