Old 08 January 2008, 15:12   #1

Town: sutton coldfield
Boat name: Blue Riband IV
Make: Avon
Length: 4.7
Engine: Honda 50 4stroke
Fatal trailer accident - help needed

I am looking for guidance from experienced towers of braked trailers. I act for a family whose son was killed when an unfit though theoretically "braked" trailer (not a boat trailer) left the hitch and mounted the pavement at speed. A defective jockey wheel lock had allowed the post/wheel to drop to ground whilst moving. Defective lock on hitch allowed force of this to release trailer from towbar. Brakeaway cable not fitted (police evidence that as the brakes were rusted solid it wouldn't have made any difference) So obviously a catalogue of defects.

Family want to campaign for all trailers (ie including braked) to have a secondary coupling to maintain some steering as is compulsory for unbraked trailers. The alternative might be annual MOT test for trailers.

Any comments as to whether there is any practical/technical issue with such a rule? As an unbraked trailer user, I have always used a secondary chain/cable attachment, and was astonished it wasn't compulsory for all. We are likely to be making representations to Dept for Transport. Thanks
Old 08 January 2008, 15:19   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by richyrich View Post
I am looking for guidance from experienced towers of braked trailers. I act for a family whose son was killed when an unfit though theoretically "braked" trailer (not a boat trailer) left the hitch and mounted the pavement at speed. A defective jockey wheel lock had allowed the post/wheel to drop to ground whilst moving. Defective lock on hitch allowed force of this to release trailer from towbar. Brakeaway cable not fitted (police evidence that as the brakes were rusted solid it wouldn't have made any difference) So obviously a catalogue of defects.

Family want to campaign for all trailers (ie including braked) to have a secondary coupling to maintain some steering as is compulsory for unbraked trailers. The alternative might be annual MOT test for trailers.

Any comments as to whether there is any practical/technical issue with such a rule? As an unbraked trailer user, I have always used a secondary chain/cable attachment, and was astonished it wasn't compulsory for all. We are likely to be making representations to Dept for Transport. Thanks

I can see no reason why there shouldnt be a 2nd method of attchment. I always use a "safety chain" braked or unbraked!
I have had a trailer come away from the car ( after i forgot to attach it to the ball! I just rested it on while i sorted the cable, forgot about it and pulled away. Thankfully it only hit a wall!!)

Good luck with this!
Old 08 January 2008, 15:29   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:

US DOT (Dept of Transportation) regs require safety chains. Given the number of trailers being dragged around over here, I can't see any technical reasons that would prevent the UK from doing the same.

jky
Old 08 January 2008, 15:33   #4

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:

I thought that there were plans to bing in MOT's for trailers as with HGV trailers. This will be a nightmare for boat trailers, keeping the brakes working is a difficult enough task
Keeping them balanced and efficient on a brake tester is going to involve all but replacing the whole issue once a year.
Are you aware of the death of a 6yo boy at Mylor Nr. Falmouth 3/4 years ago? A speedboat on a trailer parted with the tow vehicle at the top of the slip, ran back down the slip and killed him as he sat on a small kerb to one side.
Old 08 January 2008, 15:37   #5

Town: Essex
Boat name: Cetacean Protector
Make: Plasteco Milano
Length: 5m +
Engine: 75hp
Likewise, anything I tow always has a secondary chain or wire strop. It's worth noting that a lot of people seem to just loop the strop / chain over the towball thinking it will stay on - chances are, of course, it won't.

I'm amazed we don't have licencing for trailers - its fairly common in Europe (e.g. Spain, but only applies to Spanish registered vehicles) and certainly in my native South Africa you have to display a registration disc on the trailer, whatever the size.

Trouble is though, you couldn't enforce it by camera alone and that's all this government are interested in, and of course they'd love the chance for extra regulation / taxation this could bring.

Public education is probably a better route - but as a large number of people in this country can't drive properly for toffee, I don't hold out much hope.

Legislation for trailer manufacturers to place large stickers on trailers and supply all trailers with means of secondary attachment perhaps?
Old 08 January 2008, 15:49   #6
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by havener View Post
anything I tow always has a secondary chain
Old 08 January 2008, 15:50   #7
RAD

Town: Essex
Boat name: Club Boat
Length: no boat
Engine: Yam 40hp
I would agree with the secondary trailer attachment but TBH the MOT thing wont work. Unless you are really looking after your trailer you will get it sorted.

As in this case, neglect caused failure, the number of cars on the road unisured/not MOT'd is an accident waiting to happen. Same in this case, some wont bother but others will.
Old 08 January 2008, 16:07   #8
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:

While I have every sympathy with them for their loss, a permanent secondary coupling is not the answer. If a trailer is heavy enough to require brakes then having it coupled permanently rather than a breakaway cable is more dangerous than it breaking away.

Situation A):-

A car is driving down the road towing a braked trailer with a breakaway cable. The hitch comes off the towball. The trailer brakes are applied and the breakaway cable snaps as per design. The trailer may well go off on it's own-but not far as it's being slowed by the brakes.If the brakes are correctly adjusted it won't stray far off it's original heading. It may cause an accident or hit something before it stops. The tow vehicle brakes to a halt,somewhat shocked but in control.

Situation B)

A car is driving down the road towing a braked trailer with an 'unbreakable' secondary coupling. The hitch comes off the towball.
The trailer will start to weave violently as the hitch is now almost free-floating.
The trailer brakes won't work as there's nothing for the hitch to push against.
The weaving trailer will cause complete loss of control of the tow vehicle as it drags it from side to side.
If the tow vehicle applies its brakes then the hitch will hit the rear of the tow vehicle off centre and the probability of a jack-knife is extremely high-the trailer is attempting to overtake the tow vehicle at an angle at this point.

You now have a far larger object out of control and unable to apply the brakes without significantly increasing the risk to both it's occupants,other motorists and pedestrians. There is a very high possiblity of the whole rig overturning whether the brakes are applied or not.
What you won't get is any semblance of steerage for the whole rig. Almost as soon as the hitch comes off the ball all control will be lost unless at very low speed.

A trailer MOT is unfeasable simply because trailers would have to be registered or have a chassis number. There's too many around without and MOT stations would have to be kitted out specially to test surge brakes.
Besides, it's those that don't obey the law (for example the guy towing the defective trailer you mention) that will still cause the problem. The laws are already in place within the Construction and Use regulations to charge people for dangerous trailers-they just need enforcing.

What I personally think would help would be a proper series of public information films about keeping your trailer maintained properly.

BTW, I drive more miles in my car with a trailer than without-and I tow 40' trailers for a living.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 January 2008, 16:11   #9
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
US DOT (Dept of Transportation) regs require safety chains. Given the number of trailers being dragged around over here, I can't see any technical reasons that would prevent the UK from doing the same.

jky

Size of tow vehicle. In the main, you guys use far bigger towing vehicles than we can and they are far more suited to handling a weaving trailer as they are a lot heavier.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 January 2008, 16:25   #10

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Family want to campaign for all trailers (ie including braked) to have a secondary coupling to maintain some steering as is compulsory for unbraked trailers.
My understanding is that using a secondary coupling on a braked trailer is illegal. Probably for the reasons Nos outlined.
Old 08 January 2008, 17:08   #11
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
My understanding is that using a secondary coupling on a braked trailer is illegal.
A traffic cop who pulled me over for a routine check told me my secondary chain was illegal as the trailer was braked but I still use it keeping it fairly tight. If the trailer becomes detached from the ball, I might or might not have some degree of control, totally depending on circumstances which are a lot more variable than the two scenarios Nos has given. I'd prefer that risk to the certainty of two tons of boat doing its own thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
A trailer MOT is unfeasable
It works in Belgium.

I think a better design of Jockey wheel clamp/lock is needed as it's too easy for them to drop putting upwards pressure on the ball/hitch.
Old 08 January 2008, 18:03   #12

Town: Weymouth
Length: no boat
ring hitches are in my view a lot safer as you have 2 enclosed rings interlocking. One ringis a closed ring the other a mechanical gated ring. This is as per the trailers that are manufactured just down the road from me. These trailers are for the MOD and are attached to land rovers that are green in colour. They are alittle noiser at speed but then as the maximum speed in the UK is 60 mph with a trailer this is not a problem.
Old 08 January 2008, 18:09   #13

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Fully agree with nos42.

I think the most important thing of all is to ditch speed cameras totally and get some traffic cops back on the roads!!!

Many of the trailer laws are stupid. Maximum 750kgs unbraked - wether it's a Fiesta or a LR or a Transit - crazy!!!
Old 08 January 2008, 18:41   #14

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
The laws are already in place within the Construction and Use regulations to charge people for dangerous trailers-they just need enforcing.
Agreed... this is the one and only answer AFAIK
Old 08 January 2008, 18:44   #15
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Richy, sad though this accident was I think it needs to be recognised that this wasn't caused by the absence of a permanent linkage between car and trailer. Whilst it may have avoided the accident, it would only work if correctly fitted, used and maintained (notwithstanding the above points about it probably not being the best way to bring a decoupled trailer to a stop). Given the state of the rest of this trailer do you honestly believe that if such a device was fitted it would have been working and correctly attached?

Roadside checks are probably the only way. As with all MoTs they are only a check they meet the standard on the day in question - not after 9 months of abuse in salt water.

Quote:
I think a better design of Jockey wheel clamp/lock is needed as it's too easy for them to drop putting upwards pressure on the ball/hitch.
possibly although I am sure that most people here could find a way to secure there's (e.g. bungee cord) so that it was very unlikely to fall.

Quote:
A traffic cop who pulled me over for a routine check told me my secondary chain was illegal as the trailer was braked but I still use it keeping it fairly tight.
If it works will that not prevent the breakaway brake from applying and therefore leave you with no brakes on the trailer.

Quote:
Many of the trailer laws are stupid. Maximum 750kgs unbraked - wether it's a Fiesta or a LR or a Transit - crazy!!!
I don't think you can tow 750 kg with a fiesta - the vehicle has its own lower limit.

Finally - I suspect the DoT are unlikely to take much interest in deviating from the current approach which I believe is fairly standard (or perhaps even in a directive) across the EU? The harsh reality is I suspect very few people are killed or seriously hurt every year by run away trailers and their efforts would be better rewarded by focussing elsewhere (driving standards, alchohol, drugs, speeding).
Old 08 January 2008, 19:04   #16

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: Mariner 15
Agree with Nos.

As far as MOT's for trailers, a boat trailer could pass one day and three weeks later be completely knackered by salt water. Surely there is an onus on every driver to tow a trailer fit for the purpose.

Don't under stand why Dave was told the breakaway chain was illegal? The whole point of this is to apply the brakes on the trailer and then snap.
Old 08 January 2008, 19:27   #17

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bolton View Post

Don't under stand why Dave was told the breakaway chain was illegal? The whole point of this is to apply the brakes on the trailer and then snap.
I think Dave was talking about a more substantial chain designed not to snap.
Different to the breakaway cable.

Nasher
Old 08 January 2008, 19:49   #18

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
I use both brake, breakaway cable and twin safety chains crossed under the tow bar. If you adjust the lengths right the breakaway cable will snap/operate first and then the crossed chains will catch the trailer tow bar before it hits the road and digs in. As for a dropped down jockey wheel popping the hitch: I find this amazing as the jockey wheel should bend up out of the way first. There must have been something wrong with the hitch lock for this to happen. Oh, BTW I always put a shackle or padlock through the hitch lock lever to stop it opening. Belt and bracers is the name of the game.
Old 08 January 2008, 21:41   #19

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Iam with Nos4 and codprawn.

At least there is now a driving test required for trailer towing . Maybe some sort of mechanical knowlege and checking should also be included in that . I don't have an HGV but doesn't an HGV test include some basic requirement of hitching up trailers , securing loads , and checking for obvious mechanical faults ??

I also think that trailer manufacturers should be made to work to a higher spec . I don't think even the top brands of boat trailer are built to a standard that is fit for purpose . I think stainless brake cables and certain brake parts should be a minimum requirement along with bearing savers etc . Ok your boat trailer may cost another £100 or so but you will be happy when it doesn't sieze up or let you down half way through the season .
Old 08 January 2008, 21:55   #20

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
I also think that trailer manufacturers should be made to work to a higher spec . I don't think even the top brands of boat trailer are built to a standard that is fit for purpose . I think stainless brake cables and certain brake parts should be a minimum requirement along with bearing savers etc . Ok your boat trailer may cost another £100 or so but you will be happy when it doesn't sieze up or let you down half way through the season .
I agree with that too to a point, but at the point of purchase a lot of peolple will not pay for a higher spec trailer, deferring to do basic maintenance them selves later, and then defer that too. To me..my trailer is as much a piece of my car as the car its self, and I treat its maintenace as such,.. moreso given the environment in which it operates. You cant blame the manufacturers all the time.