Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
Iam with Nos4 and codprawn.

At least there is now a driving test required for trailer towing . Maybe some sort of mechanical knowlege and checking should also be included in that . I don't have an HGV but doesn't an HGV test include some basic requirement of hitching up trailers , securing loads , and checking for obvious mechanical faults ??

I also think that trailer manufacturers should be made to work to a higher spec . I don't think even the top brands of boat trailer are built to a standard that is fit for purpose . I think stainless brake cables and certain brake parts should be a minimum requirement along with bearing savers etc . Ok your boat trailer may cost another 100 or so but you will be happy when it doesn't sieze up or let you down half way through the season .
Hi Ian
I am sure that all the goodies you wish for are available as optional extras. Why should the manufacturer be forced to include them? If I have a boat in rack storage and only want to trailer it home for the winter then why would I want to pay for that stuff?
I will never understand the reasoning for a driving test for trailers. hell my Missus got the hang of it in about 15 mins.

Old 08 January 2008, 18:41   #22
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
At least there is now a driving test required for trailer towing . Maybe some sort of mechanical knowlege and checking should also be included in that . I don't have an HGV but doesn't an HGV test include some basic requirement of hitching up trailers , securing loads , and checking for obvious mechanical faults ??
Ian good point. I think most of this is now covered in the trailer (B+E) test at least to some degree. You have to hitch and unhitch safely as well as answering some very basic vehicle/trailer maintainence, on top of the compulsary excercises and time on the road.
Old 08 January 2008, 18:43   #23
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
I will never understand the reasoning for a driving test for trailers. hell my Missus got the hang of it in about 15 mins.
Linda - maybe its different in you country with the big wide roads but most people take at least 2 days of continuos training (not just in reversing) to pass the test.
Old 08 January 2008, 19:23   #24

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
Hi Ian
I am sure that all the goodies you wish for are available as optional extras. Why should the manufacturer be forced to include them? If I have a boat in rack storage and only want to trailer it home for the winter then why would I want to pay for that stuff?

I don't think there is one day here in the summer when a road isn't closed or held up somewhere due to a caravan or trailer accident . Its hard to believe that some of the cars towing caravans etc have actually made it as far as Cornwall . There are very few drivers I meet on our narrow lanes that even can reverse a car properly let alone handle towing a trailer but they do it.

As for building trailers better , etc what would happen if a car manufacturer made a car to 1950 specs .
Its the trailer that only gets used once a year that is probably the most dangerous , hence the caravan problems
Old 08 January 2008, 19:38   #25

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Linda - maybe its different in you country with the big wide roads but most people take at least 2 days of continuos training (not just in reversing) to pass the test.
Hi there Poly
Still do not understand. Agree, put reversing to one side. I spent 15 years towing a boat around country lanes Warsash, Hamble etc, etc. no problem, even with the first missus who is not as smart as the current edition. Take it slow, have good mirrors ( always add extension mirrors) and ignore the stupid git behind you honking his horn because you are slowing him down. I had a very effective solution for that problem.
Old 08 January 2008, 20:10   #26
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Many of the trailer laws are stupid. Maximum 750kgs unbraked - wether it's a Fiesta or a LR or a Transit - crazy!!!
Agree with you apart from above-
You can't tow a 750kg trailer with a Fiesta.
The law on towing an unbraked trailer is max 750kg OR 1/2 the weight of the tow vehicle-whichever is smaller.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 January 2008, 20:11   #27

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Agree with you apart from above-
You can't tow a 750kg trailer with a Fiesta.
The law on towing an unbraked trailer is max 750kg OR 1/2 the weight of the tow vehicle-whichever is smaller.
Yes I know I was just trying to illustrate a point. Maybe I should have said a Mundano!!!
Old 08 January 2008, 20:13   #28

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Hi there Poly
Still do not understand. Agree, put reversing to one side. I spent 15 years towing a boat around country lanes Warsash, Hamble etc, etc. no problem, even with the first missus who is not as smart as the current edition. Take it slow, have good mirrors ( always add extension mirrors) and ignore the stupid git behind you honking his horn because you are slowing him down. I had a very effective solution for that problem.
Ahh so YOU are the sort of person who refuses to slow a little and let a faster car past - all it takes is a few seconds and an indicator - even I can do it...........
Old 08 January 2008, 20:29   #29
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmanning View Post
A traffic cop who pulled me over for a routine check told me my secondary chain was illegal as the trailer was braked but I still use it keeping it fairly tight. If the trailer becomes detached from the ball, I might or might not have some degree of control, totally depending on circumstances which are a lot more variable than the two scenarios Nos has given. I'd prefer that risk to the certainty of two tons of boat doing its own thing.
I agree that the circumstances are a lot more variable than the scenario I gave for the solid chain-but what is certain is:-
1)As soon as the hitch comes off the ball and chain goes tight the trailer will go into a weave.
2)As soon as the hitch comes off the ball when travelling at any speed you have practically no chance of keeping control of the vehicle. With 2 tonnes of boat on a short chain you'll be going where the boat wants you to-not where you want to. but messier. Bear in mind the caravan is hitched up not on a chain and has twin axles so this should be more stable even though it's loaded badly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmanning View Post
I think a better design of Jockey wheel clamp/lock is needed as it's too easy for them to drop putting upwards pressure on the ball/hitch.
Yes, definitely.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 January 2008, 20:32   #30

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Ahh so YOU are the sort of person who refuses to slow a little and let a faster car past - all it takes is a few seconds and an indicator - even I can do it...........
Yes, I am exactly that kind of person. If I can let a car pass safe then I always do. If not then they can frigging wait, including you. If they get P'd off than that's their problem. Thanks for the zinger Cod, I owe you one.
PS. After thought: why did you post this in the first place?? are you still ill or just going down with something. Must be 1am in that whales place.